Cabelas line counter reel

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Cabelas has line counter reels on sale for $35. Does anyone use these and are they OK or would you have been better off spending a little more?

scott-k
    Red Wing

Brother bought two and line counters failed on both. But that was a few years ago. No failures on any of our Daiwas with line counter. Go with Sealine and you will not regret it. Accudepth have held up too and they are a little cheaper.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Cabelas has line counter reels on sale for $35. Does anyone use these and are they OK or would you have been better off spending a little more?

I’ve had four. They are junk. Get the Sealine and you’ll never have to replace it.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

that’s what i thought, thanks for the reply.

chubby
    Bloomington

Cabelas brand reels are some of the biggest pieces of junk that I have ever seen. I have seen quite a number of the larger casting reels fail after only 1 or 2 days of salmon fishing. Cabelas is really starting to become a poor corporate citizen given the poor quality of a lot of their Cabela’s brand gear and the fact that they have ripped off a number of family business’s such as Reef Runner in the quest for corporate profits.

Cabela’s is a huge company but that is no excuse to produce poor quality products or to steal from the American family business.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Mine have all failed as well. I upgraded to Diawa Acupeths last year and the have been great so far. The AcuDepth is a good option if you cant afford the Sealines.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I got 2, haven’t had any problems yet but I would go with the Sealines

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have 4 out of 6 Depthmaster IIs that are still going strong after beeing reeled in thousands of times. There are better reels out there and I own some, but these reels are not junk. Some of the top walleye pros use these reels when they have thousand on the line, so they can’t be that bad.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

I bought 6 10 years ago. 3 counters have failed, 3 still going.

powereyes
    Elk River, MN

I have several that have been in use for many years and have not had a failure yet. Yes, there are better reels out there but these have worked fine for me. I fish salmon once a year otherwise strictly walleyes.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have 2 that are 3-4 years old and never had an issue – used mosly for leadcore. I also have Okumas hat are decent used for leadcore and lon lining. that said, I like my Ambassador Garcia 6500 LC’s the best

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have 4 Accudepths. Good reels.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I have 4 out of 6 Depthmaster IIs that are still going strong after beeing reeled in thousands of times. There are better reels out there and I own some, but these reels are not junk. Some of the top walleye pros use these reels when they have thousand on the line, so they can’t be that bad.

The walleye pros get to replace the junk reel with a new one every time the counter stops working or a gear snaps.

There’s a reason these reels are $35. They are a throw-away product. The fact that a small percentage of them hold up doesn’t make it a good product.

If you want to run the risk of having to replace it every year or two, get the Cabela’s reel.

mojogunter

I have four with no issues and a couple accudepths also with so issues. The diawas for sure have a better drag system, but for the money the cabelas reels are fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.