heres a good reason

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

to use caution when ice fishing on lake superior.

The first picture was of 4 inches of ice that was just about fishable in Duluth today covering the whole area around Duluth. Pic taken looking out by 21st ave east area.

1.5 hours later……….hello open water.

Reminds me of a day a few years back. I went out and fished from 6am till noon. went home for lunch (15 minute drive) came back and there was no ice. Nothing even in sight.

Stay safe my friends. This is the time of year we get to ice fish on Lake Superior, but its critical to use your head, watch wind forecasts, weather patterns etc. Stay safe!!

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Thats crazy…I’ll stay on shore

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

Thats crazy…I’ll stay on shore

no kidding!

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Thanks for the reminder Grant and for the memories! Brings me back to my days at UMD and fishing the “shelf” for loopers when the ice pack would blow down from Thunder Bay or some other point out in the open lake. Scenario one entailed standing right on the edge of the ice and casting to open water (what a rush when the fish would run underneath you toward shore and you had to hold the rod “over the edge”). Of course, one eye was always looking over your shoulder to make sure the ice pack was still butted up against shore Yes we wore cleats and had ice picks, but the thought of doing that now makes me cringe

Scenario two entailed staring though a hole for loopers on that same ice. That included picking the rock of your choice and noting its exact location in relative to your hole. If it moved, it was time to beat feet

In either case, we never did it with an off-shore wind, but the currents on the Big Pond can sure do some funy things. And when you’re off-shore and in deeper water, you don’t have either of those reference points.

Sure made for some great memories, but I was a lot younger and a lot more invincible

><(((>

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Scenario two entailed staring though a hole for loopers on that same ice. That included picking the rock of your choice and noting its exact location in relative to your hole. If it moved, it was time to beat feet

I think if the rock or bottom was moving or moved it would be a bit late for the feet. My one and only time on Superior ice had moving ice, but we had a boat.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Isn’t that how you ice troll?

chirp
    Rochester

Grant, are the harbors like McQuad’s and knife river safe to fish all the time or does it vary also?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.