Dang… Mr. Heater Problems!

• dr._flathead

I have a Mr. Heater for my portable, its the sunflower style that can double as a cooker…… When I go to start it, as soon as I released the igniter button, it goes out! It takes FOREVER to stay running!

Any ideas as to a fix?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Replce the thermocouple.

-J.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ditto

big_g
    Isle, MN

also, in a pinch so as to not ruin a trip, a zip tie or hose clamp holding the button in will keep it running too, until you can get a new thermocouple

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Quote:

Replce the thermocouple.

-J.

x3

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I had the same problem with my new one. It wasn’t the T.C. Try pushing the button in a little harder (it’s hard to hold in to begin with)but it seems like once I did that it stayed lit. Also, with the new heaters, sometimes it helps to just run them with something wedged in the button for a while to break them in. In a controlled setting of course. I bought a Mr heater and a Mr heater/cooker this year and both of them gave me problems the first 3-4 outings.

dbright
    Cambridge

Make sure the thermo coupler is touching or very close to the burner. I had two the other winter that were doing the same thing. One i adjusted it by threading it into the heater further and the other i bent in closer to the burner. I did have to replace one this year because i broke the copper line that runs up to the button.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have tried to use my heater/cooker twice in my new Otter but its too hot. Bought a Buddy this weekend and it seems about right.

ps-I did have a hard time getting it to stay lit the other night? Had to really mess with the pilot switch. hmmmm

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have a brand new Mr. Heater and I am having the same problems thought about taking it back, guess it needs some TLC first. Glad I am not the only one, kinda sucks as it would be nice to warm up your cold hands quickly with this heater.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Too bad they don’t make a Coleman focus 5 anymore. The model with the spark igniter lights within a few pops of a button everytime and kicks out more heat than any Mr. Heater product I’ve ever seen. Plus they’re compact and have a wide base so they don’t tip over. I always bring one out in the boat winter fishing and have had multiple people calling it the “cat’s pajamas” this year. Those catalytic heaters can’t hold a candle to it, and there’s no delicate thermocouple to break every third trip. I don’t think there’s ever been a better small heater made, correct me if I’m wrong!

Eric Tomlinson

Hello:
    Coleman focus 3 / 5 / 10 / and a few models of the focus 15 heater burners rebuilt here.
    True coleman doesn’t make the focus 3 or focus 5 or 10 heater anymore and also true coleman doesn’t supply any repair parts for them since back in the 1990s.
    But you can buy them used on craigs list / ebay / garage sales ect.
    And if you by chance do need parts or a burner rebuilt I am rebuilding the burners for coleman focus 3 and focus 5 and 10 heaters.
    If your in need of help / parts / or burner rebuilds send me a email and ask away.
    PS: Normally during the months off and on youll find my ebay auction on burner rebuilds to and if for some odd reason no contact found thru my email address provided you can go to ebay send message to ebay seller eklb and get a hold of me there too.
    I do carry a 100 percent positive feed back and many are pleased with the rebuilt burners.
    [email protected]
    Thank you
    EKLB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.