Beagle w/ Separation Anxiety

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Someone mentioned separation anxiety in another post and it reminded me that I need to find a solution for it in my 6 yr old beagle.

She is about the laziest, most content dog I”ve ever seen, regardless of breed when we”re home, but when we leave her home alone, she transforms into a wild, uncontrolled, and I would guess extremely anxious dog.

If we don’ t kennel her, she”ll eat anything and everything she can get her paws on. She”ll try to get into he garbage, or destroy a loaf of bread from the pantry. She would never think of doing this when we”re home .

If we kennel her, she’s immediately nervous and whiny . when we get home, more often than not, she’s peed in her kennel . When we let her out, she’s runs around barking for a few minutes, then reverts back to her calm normal state.

We started noticing a lot of this when we put our lab down about a year ago. I’m sure this has something to do with her demeanor, but we”re not in a position to add another dog, and I really would prefer to leave cats out of the equation also .

Does anyone have any experience with separation anxiety? Any suggestions? Anyone ever used the thunder blanket to control this anxiety?

Thanks,

Lars

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

We are in the same situation. We’re trying the Thunder Shirt but it doesn’t seem to make much of an impact. We are currently trying to food-proof the house, baby locks on cupboard/garbage can door, nothing on counter tops and leaving him to roam free in the house. He seems to be doing a little better. At least I’m not cleaning the urine out of the kennel all the time. Our next strategy will be a couple of benadril before we leave. I put him on 20mg of Cletxa for about a month but it didn’t phase him, just made him thirsty.

skeeterbite
    illinois

My german shepherd is the RUG DOCTOR when we leave her alone. She gets every throw rug from all over the house and brings them in the front room and eats the tags off. The only rug she actually tears up is her rug that she naps on. Have no idea what to do with her also

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

We are in the same situation. We’re trying the Thunder Shirt but it doesn’t seem to make much of an impact. We are currently trying to food-proof the house, baby locks on cupboard/garbage can door, nothing on counter tops and leaving him to roam free in the house. He seems to be doing a little better. At least I’m not cleaning the urine out of the kennel all the time. Our next strategy will be a couple of benadril before we leave. I put him on 20mg of Cletxa for about a month but it didn’t phase him, just made him thirsty.

Whats the “Thunder shirt”?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.