Hot Bite on Spitzer Lake.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

OTTER TAIL COUNTY, Minn. – A conservation officer with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources recently arrested an angler with nearly 250 fish over the legal limit.

According to a news release, Officer Shane Osborne met the 69-year-old man as he was about to pull his portable fish house off West Spitzer Lake in Otter Tail County.

“I asked how the fishing was and he said he caught some fish, but it wasn’t that great,” Osborne said. When asked if he had any fish at home, the suspect said he wasn’t sure.
    “He then asked if I thought he had too many fish,” Osborne said. “I said I wouldn’t know that until I counted all of the fish he had. He said I could follow him home and check.”

When Osborne visited the suspect’s home he found 228 sunfish, seven bass and six northern pike over the legal limit. The fish restitution value is $1,560.

According to the ‘over-limit law’ that took effect in March 2003, the suspect, if convicted, forfeits his or her fishing license for three years. The person also faces up to $3,000 in fines and one year in jail. He is scheduled to appear in Douglas County Court in February.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Curious that they don’t name the poacher in the news release.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe its because it states “if convicted” in the news report. Thats some old school fishing cleaning whacking the heads off.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Old local thinks he’s above the rules. Take him down.Take his license. Burn him.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

Who would want to clean all those. What was he going to do with them?

josh a

some people for whatever reason cant stand to watch a fish swim away. i dont get it. I think the penalties need to be way tougher for these extreme poachers.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

I know someone that had 1 fish over the limit, and they got a $140 ticket. Is it $140 each fish, or how does that work?

I believe the DNR gives quantity discounts

The leasson of the day is… If you’re going to poach you might as well make it count!

Messed up laws

jld
    Holmen

[Thats some old school fishing cleaning whacking the heads off.

My thoughts exactly when I saw that picture.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

The leasson of the day is… If you’re going to poach you might as well make it count!

That’s always been my thought!!

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

At my rate of “keeper” eyes on Mille Lacs this year I should be that much over my limit in 10 years if I fish every weekend !

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

“He then asked if I thought he had too many fish,” Osborne said. “I said I wouldn’t know that until I counted all of the fish he had. He said I could follow him home and check.”

Ha? Did he invite the officer over? Something does not seem right here. Why would he do that?
    Not questioning the officer here just trying to get the picture in full color.

buck-slayer

Wondering if this guy was double dipping on his limit the last couple of days or has he just been stock piling them since first ice back in late November?

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

This story is posted on KARE11’s Facebook page. You guys would get a kick out of all the idiots that completely condone and defend this guy…just sickening!!!

dbright
    Cambridge

Quote:

Old local thinks he’s above the rules. Take him down.Take his license. Burn him.

We had a local guide at my cabin that also thought that and got caught fishing after with no license.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I read that FB thread at KARE11.

I’m saddened by what seemed to be two races pointing the finger at ethnicity. I thought that was behind us. Obviously I’m out of touch again.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Diversity is = to the amount of support one recieves from his peers.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Here is a great piece of property on Spitzer,

have your Hot Bite everyday

Link to MLS listing

$149,900.

Clitherall, MN

One Story

3 beds / 3 baths

1554 sq ft / 4.46 acres

Built in 1994

Coordinates: 46.14307022, -95.61925507

Has a great Toy Shed/Man Cave

Deer, Turkey, Ducks, Squirrels,

Bunnies and many other critters abound on or near this property. It is a sportsman’s paradise!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

But the lakes fished out now?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Mn/DNR Lakemaps link

Mn/DNR Lake Survey link

Great Lake for Panfish, PIKE & some Bigger PIKE and of course BASS with Stumps & Trees providing plenty of structure and Lower Unit snags

Water Levels are at an all time High as of Summer of 2011.

The DNR should edit their Survey listing as when I was last there the Concrete Ramp was totally submerged maing it a dirt/gravel ramp

BBKK
    IA

Look at some of those fish in the middle, they arent 4″ long.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.