Clam X2

• royalfish

How many of you guys run this shack? Is it at all comparable to the otters?

I see they have bigger tubing in these shacks in comparison to the older Yukon we are currently running. Is this.significantly more rigid? We have bent the bottom poles and replaced with regular conduit but that seems to be a short term fix.

I have a discontinued otter (perch) and I love the square tubes with the plastic inserts, just don’t like the price of a new shack.

Gimme some pros and cons of this shack.

josh a

I got one this year and love it. pros- it came with lights for the sled and a battery mounting kit. I really like how the poles work. Very easy to set up. The seats are more comfortable than the bench in the otter… in my opinion anyways. The seats were the dea breaker for me. Cons- I wish the material was darker like the frabil or otters, i think that would help with sight fishing quite a bit. Overall I dont think you could go wrong with either. It took me about 2 hours of going back and forth in cabelas to finally pick the clam over the otter

navigator175

i bought one when they first came out- non insulated – 4 or 5 years ago. love it. it has held up to everything i put it through. still in great shape.only drawback it is heavy,takes a few grunts but i can still put it in the back of my truck by myself.most of time i load it on the trailer with the atv.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I like mine The sled is heavy, but it is because it is made of thick material. How much more is an Otter over a Clam X2 ??? I paid around $600 4 years ago

navigator175

Yes your right. If it was lighter weight material it would not have held up to the abuse I put it through.

royalfish

So has anyone had any issues with them being hard to fold down? Poles binding or getting a little bent? We are pretty tough on equipment as we are always on.the move looking for a better bite so we beat up equipment.

How similar in weight is it to the Yukon?

navigator175

My poles are as straight as the day I took them out of box. Keep them clean and I spray a little dry silicone lube on them every once in a while and have never had any binding problems.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Never had a problem with any clam units. I am on my 5th one. My new one is a x2.like others have said it is a little on the heavy side but given the quality of the materials it is worth it. I help a guy load his otter last week and they are not any lighter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

So has anyone had any issues with them being hard to fold down? Poles binding or getting a little bent? We are pretty tough on equipment as we are always on.the move looking for a better bite so we beat up equipment.

How similar in weight is it to the Yukon?

No issues at all with the poles… they too are heavy material. It is not a cheaply built house… I figure mine should last me a long time, unlike the first cheap flip house I bought… I got 3 years out of it, which is about what I paid for

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.