Fishing with firearms – this is for real!

• carptracker
    Missouri

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/11/national/11FISH.html

How to Catch Fish in Vermont: No Bait, No Tackle, Just Bullets

By PAM BELLUCK

Published: May 11, 2004
    T. ALBANS BAY, Vt. — The hunter’s prey darted into the shadows, just out of reach of Henry Demar’s gun.
    “Come on, stand up and be counted,” Mr. Demar whispered excitedly. “There was a ripple that came out of the weeds. There’s something out there.”
    Dressed in camouflage, gripping his .357 Magnum, Mr. Demar was primed to shoot. But this time, no such luck. With a flick of its tail, his quarry — a slick silvery fish — was gone.
    Fish shooting is a sport in Vermont, and every spring, hunters break out their artillery — high-caliber pistols, shotguns, even AK-47’s — and head to the marshes to exercise their right to bear arms against fish.
    It is a controversial pastime, and Vermont’s fish and wildlife regulators have repeatedly tried to ban it. They call it unsportsmanlike and dangerous, warning that a bullet striking water can ricochet across the water like a skipping stone.
    But fish shooting has survived, a cherished tradition for some Vermont families and a novelty to some teenagers and twenty-somethings. Fixated fish hunters climb into trees overhanging the water (some even build “fish blinds” to sit in), sail in small skiffs or perch on the banks of marshes that lace Lake Champlain, on Vermont’s northwest border.
    “They call us crazy, I guess, to go sit in a tree and wait for fish to come out,” said Dean Paquette, 66, as he struggled to describe the fish-shooting rush. “It’s something that once you’ve done it . . .”
    Mr. Paquette, a retired locomotive engineer, has passed fish shooting on to his children and grandchildren, including his daughter, Nicki, a nurse.
    “You have to be a good shot,” said Ms. Paquette, 31, who started shooting at age 6. “It’s a challenge. I think that’s why people do it.”
    Her 87-year-old great-uncle, Earl Picard, is so enthusiastic that, against the better judgment of his relatives, he frequently drives 75 miles from his home in Newport to Lake Champlain. Mr. Picard still climbs trees, although “most of the trees that I used to climb in are gone,” he said. “You can sit up there in the sun and the birds will come and perch on your hat and look you in the eye.”
    There is art, or at least science, to shooting fish, aficionados say, and it has nothing to do with a barrel. Most fish hunters do not want to shoot the actual fish, because then “you can’t really eat them,” Ms. Paquette said. “They just kind of shatter.”
    Instead, said Mr. Demar, “you try to shoot just in front of the fish’s nose or head.” The bullet torpedoes to the bottom and creates “enough concussion that it breaks the fish’s air bladder and it floats to the surface.”
    Often the target is a female fish come to spawn in shallow water, accompanied by several male acolytes who might also be killed, or stunned, by the concussion.
    “If you shoot a high-powered rifle, you can get a big mare and six or seven little bucks,” Mr. Paquette said.
    Permitted from March 25 to May 25, only on Lake Champlain, fish shooting has probably existed for a century. It also used to be legal in New York, which borders the huge apostrophe-shaped lake.
    Virginia used to have several fish-shooting areas, said Alan Weaver, a fish biologist with Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Now, Mr. Weaver said, the only place is the Clinch River in remote Scott County, where, six weeks a year, people can shoot bottom-feeders like “quill-back suckers and red-horse suckers.” Virginia is the only other state where fish shooting is still legal, Vermont officials said.
    In 1969, fish and wildlife officials in New York and Vermont banned fish shooting. But Vermonters were loath to sever the primal link between fish and firearm, so in 1970, the Legislature not only reinstated the sport, it also added fish like carp and shad to the target list, bringing the number to 10.
    Since then, there have been several efforts to halt fish shooting. But they have been stopped by noisy objections from a small but dedicated bunch.

IceHogsFan
    Rockford IL

I’m all for it. I never thought of fishing with a shotgun until I saw the movie Secondhand Lions. I can’t say I’ve done it, but being a trap shooter I say why not. I’m sure someone will argue with me though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.