heat vent

• ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

I recently gutted out my basement and I redone the electrical, sheet rocked, taped, painted, new lighting and so on.. well I recently just realized that I forgot to cut out a heat vent in the ceiling! Does anyone have any clue how to locate the vent without paying for someone to come over ? I do have a general idea where it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

did you texture already ? just go where you think it is and cut a hole big enough to get a mechanics mirror in… and look for it. should be able to get by with a 2″ hole and just fill it in when done with some mesh and putty.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Yes, but its a light knockdown. I’m trying to prevent any cutting but I don’t think I’m going to a void it. Just hoping there was another way lol

buck-slayer

The duct should have had a lip on it that the rock is cut around. Get on a ladder and look for a area that has a sight dip in it. Most of the time vents are measured the same distance off the exterior wall. That might get you close.

John Luebker

a really strong magnet

you might be able to feel the boundarys of the heat vent through the rock???

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

When the heat is on the drywall should get a little hotter to the touch where the vent is kicking out.

Fun stuff

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

When the heat is on the drywall should get a little hotter to the touch where the vent is kicking out.

Fun stuff

I would try this first myself!

gary d
    cordova,il

If all faults and you have to cut a hole see if you can get a under water camera. I had to use mine onetime to look under a shed to see if there was a skunk under there. Good luck!!!

Ingy

Buy a cheap laser thermometer, crank up the heat and start scanning the ceiling.

blackbay

When all else fails get a cat, a Go Pro camera and about 50 feet of rope.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Is the heat vent cut out on the main trunk of your duct work or is it on a separate run off the main trunk? Is it the only vent in finished part of the basement? If the vent was not left open, it might be hard to detect a temp difference through the sheet rock. Hopefully, you have multiple heat vents run in your finished basement. In both our home and cabin basements, there are multiple vents run from the main heat duct. They are generally located in front of windows and around the edges of the basement. One vent would not provide sufficient heat. If I work in our basement office in the winter, my feet get cold. Like I said, we have at least 4 or 5 vents in this part of the basement.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That was my thought. A heat vent in the ceiling of the basement is very good at heating the ceiling of the basement. Usually does not do much for the feet. Shouldnt there be a cold air return to allow air flow also?

garyeg

Equally necessary, Mike

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Mike,
    All our vents are in the basement ceiling. I’m sure this is done from a convenience of not having to run the venting down the walls to the floor. Our cold air return is located in the utility (furnace) room. There is a flexable pipe that draws the cold air off the floor of this room. The rest of the finished part of the basement still gets chilly on the floor.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Thanks for the help guys! I just found it! I ended up shutting all the lights off and grabbed the spot light and found a small indent in the ceiling about where I thought it was. But to be safe I shut the furnace off for about 2 hrs than turned it on to zero in the warm spot. Than took the chance and held my breath and grabbed the rotor zip and popped the hole and it was right on the outside of the vent out of everything that I had done to the basement this is the only f up that I had to deal with. Yet, anyways lol. Thanks again everyone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.