Plugged Drain in Tub

• jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

We have a plugged drain that has beat a few drano type deals… Any ideas would be great!

big_g
    Isle, MN

plug the breather hole and try a plunger. Get hot water in there if you can by sucking out the water in there. Good luck

onestout
    Hudson, WI

careful sucking any water out with the drano that has been used.

pbitschura

Plug the breather hole and get out the shop vac. Easier to suck it out than blow it out.

seeds
    SE WI

Take the cover off the breather hole and use a snake….Can you reach the trap? I access my 1st floor tub trap thru the basement ceiling,my 2nd floor one in a closet behind the toilet.

And never ever again buy Drain-o. It just makes dealing with the problem more difficult once the Draino fails.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Use a coat hanger and fish out the hair ..Darn women and there long hair

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

And never ever again buy Drain-o. It just makes dealing with the problem more difficult once the Draino fails.

I never recommend using a drain cleaner on a fully clogged drain. Draino works 100 times better on TV than it does in real life. If it does not go down the drain you are going to have a bigger mess to deal with. Many plumbers including us charge more to have to deal with this.

If its just hair in the drain they make a plastic tool that you can stick down the drain to quickly grad it. Think it a couple bucks at the hardware store. Every house needs on of these.

If its farther down the drain like said above you can try running a snake down the over flow, threw the trap and on down the line. If you can get the trap off you can snake from there to. I like to try and put a kink or two in the end of the snake to help it scour the sides of the pipe.

When done run plenty of hot water down the line to help additional clean the pipe.

or just call a plumber or drain cleaner.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I think those plastic things Mike was refering to are called “zip it’s” You can get them at Menards in a 2 pack for no more than $3

They Work Great

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Liquid Drain cleaners are one of the biggest consumer rip offs on the market. IMHO

In fact I would love to see them banned. Just imagine the amount of those chemicals being dumped into the waters.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

all i have ever used is 1/2 cup baking soda to 1 cup vinegar (the magic volcano) lol. 1 or 2 treatments and clear as a bell. especially if a shower drainbut not main drain.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

I think those plastic things Mike was refering to are called “zip it’s” You can get them at Menards in a 2 pack for no more than $3

They Work Great

These work great!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Mike and Jeff are RIGHT on spot!
    From some of us in the know here in the southern states we agree!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.