Watching IDO TV

• TroyRozeske
    Burnsville MN

I’m sitting here on the couch watching James and Joel catching these Monster Blue gills and listening to them talk about these Big males. I’m sure this has been asked 100’s of times, but how in the hell do you tell the gender of a fish? BTW WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET SOME WALKABLE ICE!!!!

capn’crappie
    Wisconsin

The males have an orange upper belly or “chest”. Females have a yellow belly. Always good to know this when fishing the spawn or fishing them in the weeks prior to the spawn

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

Good Question! I often wondered that too until paying closer attention, this is what I have found. I am sure there are better answers out there anyway…

Males tend to be bigger and brighter in color and also have a spot over the back side of the dorsal fin.

If you flip the gill over and look at the pee hole for lack of better terms, the males with have a funnel-shaped pore that is darker in color while the females will have almost a “swollen” ring look. This is how I can usually tell, also sometimes the lobes near the gill plate are much darker on the males too.

Hope this helps.

Jake

scottie56005

One thing I have heard is that the males have a wider, longer, tab on the gill behind the eye. Females are shorter and grown in height instead of length. So if the tab is wide, male. If the tab is small and narrow, female. I am not an expert when it comes to something like this, just what I have heard before. Interesting question though!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.