40 hp merc prop and gas hog question

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I have a 1995 40hp merc that is a 4 cylinder.

Question 1. Can I change the prop on it to get a greater top end speed? I have a standard aluminum prop and it will get me up to 30mph on a 17 basstracker.

Question 2. It is a Gas HOG! does anyone else have the same feeling and outside of running it less have any answers?

Question 3.She runs alittle rich right now with 2 carbs do I need to adjust both or is there one point to adjust this?
    Thanks

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Your prop can be changed to a higher pitch…this will get you a higher top end speed but this will hinder your hole shot…What you need to do is look for the happy medium…hole shot and top end speed…

What is the HSP rating on your boat…under powering the water craft can have a big influence on gas consumption..if your motor is over working it’s self then you’ll be using up more gas…

And if my motor starts acting up i take it to my mechanic at Starks Sport Shop..I know better that to mess with the carbs…or should I say i don’t know enough to mess with the carbs…

good luck Haywood

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Need to be careful upping the pitch on the prop. If you go too high, the motor will overheat (experience in this area).

Just make sure your WOT rev’s are in the recommended range (usually listed in the motor manual).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.