Crappie/Locators/Rigging

• luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

I’m going to buy a front locator for fishing crappies (and bass once in a while) here in Florida. Having sold my Lund 1800 Walleye boat before moving here 4 years ago, I find the need to fish fresh water for something. I will be fishing mostly stained water of less than 12′ and would like recomendations for locator to equip my boat, 17.5 Tracker. Sidescan, downlook (sp) or what? I think GPS is a must. Looking for comments. Thanks in advance.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

One of the best ways we can answer your question is to know your budget you plan to spend. Humminbird or Lowrance with different magnitudes of features and screen size can go from $300-$2000.

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Thanks for the quick reply. Budget is “open” but $2000 is probably a little much. More likely about $1100-$1200 I May put the Side scan on the console and just a flasher up front. Again your thought please.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

If you will be fishing submerged brush and other structure, the down imaging option like Humminbird has ,is a good choice

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Sorry getting back to ya took so long, I was off deer hunting.
    with that budget I would make sure I got as big of screen as possible. If I remember correctly LOW has a lower price BUT you have to add the LSS to have side scan so pricing may be obscured.
    I have been a LOW guy but considering adding to bird in a year or 2 to give them a test.
    I honestly feel a Bird would be your safest bet with some of the LOW gen 1 and gen2 problems some friends have been having.
    Go play with them all at a place that has a full display is most likely the best advice I can offer and then research price to get set up. Remember, the more features the higher the learning curve so be open to learn.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

In about 12 feet of water I think you’d be better off with a side scan model. If you plan to or find a need to sit right on top of the fish, a flasher would do you good and both Marcum and Vex offer transducers for boat use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.