FLW walleye no more

• eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

The FLW is pulling the plug on the walleye tour. Cabelas and Ranger are taking over. Two day without cut will be new format. Red Wing, Erie, Green Bay and devils lake are the tentative. Still a pro/am format. Don’t know what to think. I’ve never really liked the way the flw didn’t let you wear/promote your sponsors if it conflicted with their sponsors. Hopefully the new circuit will understand most of there pros are there bècause of sponsorship money.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

The FLW is pulling the plug on the walleye tour. Cabelas and Ranger are taking over. Two day without cut will be new format. Red Wing, Erie, Green Bay and devils lake are the tentative. Still a pro/am format. Don’t know what to think. I’ve never really liked the way the flw didn’t let you wear/promote your sponsors if it conflicted with their sponsors. Hopefully the new circuit will understand most of there pros are there bècause of sponsorship money.

Bass is their business now? It seemed to me that Walleye was always kind of the b@stard child part of FLW anyway.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

With all the tournaments that have all the walleyes going belly up, I hope they all come to a stop. Friggen ridiculous.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

With all the tournaments that have all the walleyes going belly up, I hope they all come to a stop. Friggen ridulous.

That didn’t take long.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Walmart and bass folks are a better fit anyway.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

What do you guys think about the timing of the given locations?? Good bites?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Walmart and bass folks are a better fit anyway.

Now that is funny!

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Arm the tournament fishers with nets and spears too.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Wow!!

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

With all the tournaments that have all the walleyes going belly up, I hope they all come to a stop. Friggen ridiculous.

Really? So a few boats go out and dont even bring in a 2 man limit and they are hurting the fishing? Let me guess you are all about catch and release? Sit out there all day in the hot summer months and catch them in 25+’ killing most the fish you catch

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Really? So a few boats go out and dont even bring in a 2 man limit and they are hurting the fishing? Let me guess you are all about catch and release? Sit out there all day in the hot summer months and catch them in 25+’ killing most the fish you catch

Don’t bother C. There will always be “that guy” spouting off without the facts out there.

Heck, considering it is political season I would say running one’s mouth without the facts is fitting right now.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

NOT , but a few I do catch I’ll eat

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Wow!!

Don’t bite.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hmmm, I’m not a tourney fisher much less a eye fisherman, but I’m saddened by the loss of another tourney.

Directly and indirectly these tourneys or maybe the people that fish these tourneys are responsible for so much of the new gear and techniques we all use today.

They sure do bring fishermen together.

Hopefully with the FLW dropping out the others will be more successful.

FryDog62

I saw one tournament (don’t know if FLW) where a judge was in each boat and would measure/weigh each fish and release. Top 5 recorded were on the board. That seems to make sense versus the bag they bring in to hold up for the crowd. I would think walleyes die easier than bass.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow!!

Don’t bite.

Well James in the pool I fish, very seldom do you see a walleye belly up all summer long. After a tournament you can see all of dead ones. The only thing that a tournament is good for is the economics of that area. That I understand. I’ve seen the weigh-ins, and it’s all about the almighty dollar in sponsors and individual pockets. Can anyone give me a percentile that is put back into the resource? As in AIS, stocking,shore improvements, dredging, etc.?

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

sorry to here that flw walleye will be history. have fished a few tournaments and learned a lot even on my home waters. was the cause a loss of national guard sponsership?
    or just the loss of sonny rennolds leadership.

David Grosulak
    Pool 2

I hope the new format gets a little more involved then the FLW did. Like many have said, FLW was to bass oriented.

skulskitom

It was fun while it lasted!! I caught personal bests in Detroit River 11.8 2006. I don’t even know how many 29 inch fish i caught but do know my son prefished Green Bay his personal best 12.9 32.25″ on his birthday 2011, best 25″- 30″ inch day was 27 fish in 9 hrs fishing lake Erie 2012, most fish caught in 8 hrs well over 125 fish Missori River 2011..I have met so many great men and women through the years and made good friends as well Fishing Flw. Time to get back to my roots and woop some walleye butt on pool 4!!

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow!!

Don’t bite.

Well James in the pool I fish, very seldom do you see a walleye belly up all summer long. After a tournament you can see all of dead ones. The only thing that a tournament is good for is the economics of that area. That I understand. I’ve seen the weigh-ins, and it’s all about the almighty dollar in sponsors and individual pockets. Can anyone give me a percentile that is put back into the resource? As in AIS, stocking,shore improvements, dredging, etc.?

It is obvious you have not done your research prior to letting your fingers type. Look up your own answers to your questions. You are the only one that will satisfy yourself with getting educated with recorded information on what the FLW Walleye tournaments have done for the waters they have held their touraments at. The information is out their. Get a clue!

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

We all know how you love to eat walleyes bk.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

We all know how you love to eat walleyes bk.

The other white meat.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Gentleman –

I am the guy doing the fish release for the FLW championship this week and I will be happy to report any issues. While delayed mortality is an issue in any tournament (bass, catfish, walleye, etc…)when you realize that the number of fish these guys handle, its insignificant. Compare that to the guy who takes his limit home twice a week, then multiple that by a dozen guys. I personally gave the local resources a beating annually from age 10-20. My grandpa chewed me out for years when I tried to explain C&R fishing. Add in the “noncompliance” nature of folks with regulations and this is a moot argument. We have the 20″-27″ protected slot. I hate to guess the compliance rate with the general public.

Fish die during tournaments no question, but that happens in a CPR tournament and during day to day fishing too. Let the folks come and spend their money here versus some where else. I know I’ve never been chewed out by a Canadian for “killing their fish” while on vacation. There, I do kill a bunch of fish, yummm!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Haasjj

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

It is sad to see the FLW go. They were always very well run and I learned something everyday on the water with the Pros. I’m looking forward to hearing more about the National Walleye Tour. I like the idea of having them on a Saturday and Sunday.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Quote:

What do you guys think about the timing of the given locations?? Good bites?

hnd

i just don’t see how a tourney that if everyone caught their limits each day (1000 fish or so?) and lets just say that 25% of the fish happened to die which is probably an over exaggeration just like everyone catching limits. AND lets just say they are all walleye and there are no saugers which we have an abundance of. if the removal of those 250 walleye hurt the fishery, there are problems there that aren’t a fault of a tournament.

even on upper pools where the tournaments are more numerous, my guess is that tournament fish kills are such a small percentage of the overall number of fish that die on the body of water throughout the year.

FryDog62

Honestly, I think a lot of viewers like me just find the whole walleye thing a bit boring. On the walleye tour you watch guys glued to their electronics dragging spinner rigs or cranks, only to hook up and pull in what fights like a water-logged stick coming in. On the bass tour, you see guys standing up, moving around, active and doing the big hook set on a plastic or a blow up on top water. Yes, they ski them into the boat (which I don’t like) but the bass do fight a lot more than a walleye. Consumers want excitement and action…that’s why the bass tours get a lot more viewers and there are economics that go with that from a TV ratings perspective.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Enjoyed following the FLW tour on line and jumping in a few as a co angler over the years. Hope just the name is changing and they try to keep most everything else the same. Still remember the first one I fished in and blasting off heading south on out of Red Wing in the 1st big Ranger I ever got to ride in. Looked over my shoulder and there was a helicopter chasing us with a camera guys hanging off he side. Very cool for this young fishermen at that time.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’m not anti tourney at all, but I’ve been to those weigh ins and they are the most boring thing I’ve ever witnessed.

With today’s technology, putting mini cams in the boats and live simulcasting with live leaderboards would spice up these tourneys from a viewers standpoint. And the AIM format seems to me to be right on. All we need is a picture and quick measurement.
    ET

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.