I guess I may need a GPS?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

It has come to my attention, as you may be able to tell from saturdays beaching, that I may need a GPS.

I would like some advice on them please.

Could you recommend one that is suitable for a beginner of sorts. Hand held may work best for my situation. I would also like the mappy dealy to be viewable. (does this make sense?)

Thanks for the input!

ps. Sorry bout the boat Moss Boss.

I knew I should have taken a left at Albuquerque!

pss. Note to self “an 1800lb boat and ankle deep water don’t mix”

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Haywood,

I wouldn’t apologize. Dan needed the exercise and his boat needed the buff.

A GPS only takes away from that kind of fun!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

“an 1800lb boat and ankle deep water don’t mix”

I hate it when that happens!

BomberA

Been there, Done that.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Haywood,I have a mapping unit on my sonar and it is awesome.I went with the LMS 480,although it has a smaller screen it is very easy to use.
    Have you checked with Wade Kuehl of Jolly Ann Marine about what he thinks the best handheld would be for you?He knows his products and is very friendly,plus you would help a site sponsor.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ryan, Thanks for the plug!

Haywood, A GPS won’t necessarily keep you from hitting the beach but it could sure help!

I’d suggest the Garmin GPSMAP 162 or the Lowrance GlobalMap 4800 . Both units are solid and both units are run by different staff members here and receive high marks, so take your pick.

If you’re looking for Handheld GPS there’s about a hundred to choose from. I’d recommend the Garmin GPSMAP 76 . For use in the boat your usually better off to get a fixed mount unit though.

Keep in mind that no GPS is 100% accurate so they do not ensure safe navigation, especially on rivers which are constantly changing. Good luck and feel free to post any questions here.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Haywood

If you find yourself leaning towards a full-sized dash mount, that Garmin 162 is a real sweetie of a unit. Not a ton of the rarely used features of the highest dollar units but it does offer a large screen, mapping, very accurate speed readings and it can be had through Jolly Ann for about $300 +/- including delivery which was about $100 LESS than Cabelas at the time I ordered mine. I have this unit on my boat, with the internal antennae, and simply love it. It’s so easy to use a new guy can get into the core functionality of this unit (saving & recalling waypoints, zooming in and out of any map being used and adjusting the display setting, etc.) without opening the manual. And because it has the internal antennae, it would be quite easy to run this unit off of a flasher battery and use it in the winter for ice fishing or in the truck when hunting. It would however be a bit big for use when walking… go handheld in those situations.

If you or anyone has any questions about this unit, both Dustin and I run them and would be happy to answer any questions about them that might come up.

jwellsy

I’m waiting for the garmin 178C color combo units to ship.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Haywood? May I suggest skip the gps and go with less beer?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Less beer?? Less beer???!?!?!

Shopping for your wife’s birthday obviously has stressed you beyond the point of rational thought, Brian.

James, maybe it’s time to change Wade’s title to Mr Nice Guy!

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

I would definately go with Garmin. When I was trying to decide on a GPS I e-mailed numerous makers and Garmin was the only one that took the time to reply.

I got a hand held Garmin GPS72. A very good unit. I had trouble figuring how to run it from looking at the book, so I got a $10 video at Walmart. After watching the video it was just a short time before I could walk around town marking MOB’s.

If I got one today it would be the Dash mount 162 like a couple of the guys suggested.

Whatever you get. Get a operational video. Also put the unit in you truck first and drive around town until you learn how to use it. I hate spending fishing time learning electronics operations.

GOOD LUCK
    JIM

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I also just got a handheld Garmin eTrex GPS, I have not figured out all the functions yet. Thanks for the tip Jim, I am going out to get the video today

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I use my hand held eagle a lot. Bought it in 95. Still works great. Speed, elevation, location, routes waypoints etc. Might not solve your problem though.
    A few years ago I was going to be on the ThreeLakes Chain of Lakes in WI. Set my landing waypoint while the boat was still on the trailer. I was using it to navigate just like you are not supposed to, my way back to the landing after dark. Guess what happened. I started to slow down just as I was hitting the sand along the shore. Took a few guys to push that boat off.
    It was funny, no beer involved. Will remember it for a long time to come.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Haywood? May I suggest skip the gps and go with less beer?

Briank
    With that kind of talk you just lost any chance you had of being invited on a fishing trip with me.

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Can I reword that…”less but stronger”?

Man, a guy has to be careful about what a guy sez!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

There ya go…. it’s all about the quality not the quantity. Of course, you could go with the best of both worlds. More and stronger beer.

Gator Hunter

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Haywood,

As James mentioned I run the Garmin 162 as well. The 162 is great at reading speeds under 1mph. It comes in very handy when you are in search of those current breaks/seams along with trolling 3-ways slowly up-stream. This unit is user friendly……….heck if I can figure it out most anyone should be able to .

Hope you find what you are looking for.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Hahahahahah
    Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago fooling around in the backwaters.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.