Gas Level

• cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

When winterizing your boats how much gas do you leave in your gas tanks. I normally leave mine completely full, but I’ve heard to leave them almost empty. Your thoughts.

Thanks
    Chad

asch
    Eastern Iowa

Full with Seafoam. An empty tank can condense moisture out of the air in the tank with temperature changes.

gary d
    cordova,il

Full tank with some type of gas additive. No e-gas!!!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Was taught when learning how to fly that never, under any circumstance do you leave the plane not completely full.
    1st thing that took place when returning was fill her up.
    Boat should be treated the same to avoid any possibility of condensation.
    Sea foam or Stabil with full tank and ready until next year.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

What ever level it is at after the last trip. Near empty if possible. Then fill with fresh gas first trip out. Keep the gas treated on those last few trips.

-J.

damman
    Pepin county Wi

Quote:

What ever level it is at after the last trip. Near empty if possible. Then fill with fresh gas first trip out. Keep the gas treated on those last few trips.

-J.

. gas is treated, that’s fine. But there is a lot of room for condensation.

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

Thanks for the info guys: My dealer told me to leave it empty, but I was worried about condensation also. I will probably top it off, add my stabil, and leave it full over the winter. Ah the thought of winter!!!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

gas is treated, that’s fine. But there is a lot of room for condensation.

Any condensation will be removed by the fuel filter. If your boat does not have one (or two like me) install one.

-J.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Any condensation will be removed by the fuel filter. If your boat does not have one (or two like me) install one.

-J.

Jon I assume you are referring to a fuel/water separator vs. just a regular old fuel filter.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I pretty much agree with the author of that article.

-J.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

A very interesting article indeed. I think as long as your stored fuel is treated, it doesn’t matter how much fuel is in the tank.
    And with a 40 gallon capacity, it’s better for my trailer, and tires to store it nearly empty and not be carrying that weight all winter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

not to mention.. the old “Old Gas” problem STABIL for this guy and whatever is left in the tank (typically 1/4 tank)

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I am an empty the gas tank out kind of guy myself…

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

I pretty much agree with the author of that article.

-J.

X2. Condensation inside a gas tank, especially one not made of metal, is a non-issue.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

at 4 bucks a gallon im thinking about ways to get it out of my boat and into my car for the winter. got 27 gallons of gold just sitting around for the winter…

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Yeah, but on the other side if you fill it up before winter at $3.85 a gallon and it is $4.85 a gallon next spring you will feel like you saved yourself a couple of bucks (slightly tongue in cheek). I have always filled it up and added stay-bil before the winter and never had an issue, so will probably just keep doing that.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For the quantities of fuel that will be stored in most fishing boats it doesn’t matter on jot. Full, empty, anywhere in between. We’re only talking about 4-5 months. Put Sta-bil in it and it’ll be fine.

This full/empty debate, condensation theory, etc is a classic example of what happens when guys hear of a problem that exists at one scale and then think it applies universally. If you buy fresh fuel that is not already contaminated, storing it for up to 6 months isn’t going to be a problem.

Quote:

at 4 bucks a gallon im thinking about ways to get it out of my boat and into my car for the winter. got 27 gallons of gold just sitting around for the winter…

Yes, I love the advice to fill up all boat tanks before storage. Errrm, on my Wellcraft that’d be about $200 just to top ‘er off… Think I’ll just go with Sta-bil and a good filter/seperation unit instead. Call me an oddball, but I don’t get any particular satisfaction from seeing 100 gallons of fuel just sitting in a storage shed.

Grouse

JoeMX1825
    MN

Older boats and gas tanks, yes, store them full and treated, newer style boats with gas tanks, store with whatever fuel you have in them and treat with stabil…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Stabil or SeaFoam. I switched from one to the other years ago.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

More importantly than how full you leave the tank is making sure you get treated gas running all the way thru the line and both engines. (as in the kicker motor)

Don’t just add stabil or seafoam. Make sure you run the engines long enough to get the benefit of that fuel stabilization where its most important. Which is in your engine!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

This is a question I’ve had in my head for years. Being that I’ve been boating since I was 4 years old myself and have owned and operated a boat for my whole adult life.

My currant love holds just short of 60 gallons of fuel, humm the full treated or empty treated question.

How about lower unit grease, spring or fall?

For those of you with the proven superior out drives, Change crank case oil and do a tune up spring or fall?

This is interesting conversation, I’m all ears!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

More importantly than how full you leave the tank is making sure you get treated gas running all the way thru the line and both engines. (as in the kicker motor)

Don’t just add stabil or seafoam. Make sure you run the engines long enough to get the benefit of that fuel stabilization where its most important. Which is in your engine!

Joel, exactly what my thought is as well regardless of full or empty.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

My boat holds 48gal at over 4.00 for premium thats over 200.00$s sitting in the garage for the winter.I just add sabil from late sept on and what ever is in the boat when I park it is what it is. after I park it for the winter I spray some fogging oil in each clyinder and change lower unit grease. I’ve never had problems as I start fishing first nice weather late March or early April and I fish till Thanksgiving so not much down time! I have a 2001, 150hp xr6 merc.
    Stan

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

How about lower unit grease, spring or fall?

For those of you with the proven superior out drives, Change crank case oil and do a tune up spring or fall?

This is interesting conversation, I’m all ears!

Fall – Especially if you leave your boat outside in the winter. Unless you would like a nice crack in your lower unit come spring.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you don’t change your lower unit lube in the fall, at least drain it and then you just have to remember to put the screws and lube back in, come spring. Don’t chance any water in there through the winter months

fireline
    Rochester

$3000.00 for a new lower unit because I forget to put oil in the Spring

deertracker

You should have put your lower unit screws with your drain plug.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

$3000.00 for a new lower unit because I forget to put oil in the Spring

That is why you should have a “system”. Do it one way, all the time. I personally drian and refill in the fall. The worst thing (besides runnin’ it dry ) you can do is leave it in there with some water….”POP” new housing for the lower unit

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My FIL would leave his lower end dry. He would put a zip tie holding a paper on the steering wheel to remind him.

Personally I can’t think of a reason to let the gears down there drain all winter, so I’m a believer of refilling after draining over night.

Filled up and ready to go for the following year with the protection of new grease for the winter months.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.