Ebay protections

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have used Ebay for small purchases, but I just found an item I would like to buy but I am nervous about a purchase due to size an cost. For reference it is a truck for $15,000. It has carfax reports and shipper pays shipping. It seems like a great price but I am hesitant.

Can you trust guys on ebay and what type of protection do I have when I cannot view the product beforehand and will not see it before it would be delivered.

BBKK
    IA

You could not make the price low enough for me to buy a truck off ebay.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

$15K is a lot of money to gamble. Does the seller have a history on Ebay?? If the seller is paying the shipping, have him put the shipping costs into your one-way ticket to look at it. If you don’t buy it at least all it will cost you is a plane ticket…… not $15K

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Scam! Do NOT buy!

There’s absolutely no way a legit seller will pay for shipping on a $15k truck. Either that’s a mistake by the seller when setting up the ad or it’s a scam. Especially if you consider the price to be good. Think about it. He’s going to sell you his truck for a good price AND pay hundreds or even a grand to ship it to you?

Here’s the final test. I bet the sell won’t take Paypal. Only money order, etc.

The only way you have buyer’s protection on eBay is if you pay by Paypal. When you do so, eBay tends to side with buyers in almost all disputes, but if you don’t, you’re shafted.

Bottom line, don’t do it.

Grouse

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I bought my current truck off the internet. i put a $1000 down and flew out to test drive the truck. somewhat different than an auction. you can hire a mechanic in the area to go over the vehicle and give you some compression tests. for me it worked and i saved as i wasn’t able to find the model i wanted anyplace nearby. i’ve put 250k on it and am happy.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I have used Ebay for small purchases, but I just found an item I would like to buy but I am nervous about a purchase due to size an cost. For reference it is a truck for $15,000. It has carfax reports and shipper pays shipping. It seems like a great price but I am hesitant.

Can you trust guys on ebay and what type of protection do I have when I cannot view the product beforehand and will not see it before it would be delivered.

Here’s the link to Ebay’s VPP.

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks guys. After doing a little research, I am unable to find the truck if I do a ebay search, but it shows up on the “ebay link” he sent me. I guess a guy needs to learn to trust his gut once in a while.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Post the link here. I’m guessing there’s enough tech-savvy folks around here to tell you what you might be looking at just by seeing the URL.

Just a thought.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

If you talk to the guy on the phone a couple of times you should be able to get a good read on the guy. Have him send you a copy of the clean title and his drivers license.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

SCAM!!!!!!
    I did the same thing with a boat, guy said he was a MSGT in the air guard in illinois, used some of my connections in the MN ANG and this guy did not exist in the air force in any way.
    Don

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Sounds like a scam but my bro in law has bought two cars off Ebay with no issues. One he had shipped and the other he flew to and picked up. All depends on the seller I guess.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Post the link here. I’m guessing there’s enough tech-savvy folks around here to tell you what you might be looking at just by seeing the URL.

The link is fake and the whole thing is a total scam.

It’s a classic phishing scam, sending a link to a fake site that looks like the real thing.

One more time boys and girls: If the deal seems to good to be true, then it freaking is too good to be true.

It’s soooooo damn easy to want to believe it. Just caught myself the other day. Saw a nice Crownline 28 foot cruiser listed for a really good price on CL in MN. Ad said boat is in storage near Minneapolis.

Then I saw the same ad with the same pics on SearchTempest. Boat is in storage near Chicago.

Grouse

desperado

Well that’s not too hard to figure out
    The Crownline is being stored in Mauston WI
    That’d be about 200 mi from Mpls and about 200 mi from Chi

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Well that’s not too hard to figure out
    The Crownline is being stored in Mauston WI
    That’d be about 200 mi from Mpls and about 200 mi from Chi

SearchTempest also lists the same boat in South Dakota. And Ohio. And Oklahoma. And Florida. One might start to get suspicious. . .

I was tempted to email just to see what kind of bullsh!x story they’d give.

Grouse

desperado

Quote:

SearchTempest also lists the same boat in South Dakota. And Ohio. And Oklahoma. And Florida.

Well then the boat is probably in great shape (low hours)
    But the trailer, or at least the trailer tires, must be about worn out by now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.