Chippewa flowage help

• jon_wbl

Taking a camping trip next week with my son to the flowage. Never fished it before. Any suggestions ??
    Thanks

jerry b
    western WI

make sure you take a gps with you. Even a handheld is a must. All day on the flowage will getcha lost and wondering where home is. I know because been there done that- – jerr

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

This lake is very hard to navigate without gps. Also trolling i heard was illegal there. Floating bogs can make things look different real quick on strong windy days. Fished it years ago quite a few times. Islands and mid lake humps was where i found the eyes. Largemouth were in the shallows hitting topwater. Pike were everywhere it seemed. Panfishing was decent also. Mainly fished by milwaukee bay and tiger musky resort.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Lake map plus GPS will make your trip much smoother and productive and safer. You did not mention which side of the Chip you are going to be on. East side has some bad rock hazards more Mesotrophic versus Eutrophic on the west side.

For crappies and Eyes fish the floating bog edges early morning for eyes, afternoons for crappies, typical finding the spot on the spot. Deep points for crappies can be very good, find fish on the locater and deep weed edges will also put fish in the boat. Panfish are every where find some weeds and have at hit, as usual the slabs will be deeper.

Take good Skeet repellent they can be veracious at dusk.

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Was over several weeks ago for our annual family vacation and they dropped the water level by over a foot just before we arrived. Flowage as a whole was down by approximately two feet, after having been up much of the summer. That left a lot of my favorite shoreline cover high & dry and a lot of the lanes and pockets in the weeds had collapsed because weed stalks were laying over with the drop in water level. That lead me to abandoning spinner baits (my favorite way to cover a lot of water with only short windows of time before my wife and kids woke up) and fishing the slop with plastics (worms & frogs). We’re talking for LM bass here (a lot more northerns this year than normal, too).

Look for rock and wood to hit the smallies. Never targeted walleyes and the only muskies I see are the ones that are interested in bass baits As for panfish, look to bogs edges, deep weeds or submerged wood as noted above.

And in case it wasn’t mentioned above, a GPS is VERY helpful for navigating the Big Chip

Good luck and have fun!

><(((>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.