ND v/s Ontario

• handy

My wife and I (each about age 70) plan on going to Nestor Falls Ont next week for 8 days of Walleye, Crappie and Musky action, cath & release. Just lately having second thoughts, maybe we should be going to Devils Lake, ND. We’ve never been there and keep hearing good things about ND. Is ND that good, or is it hype? Just looking for general comments, not trying to stir up border conflict. Thanks for info.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mr. Lund,

I moved your post here since you’re leaving soon. Good luck where every you go!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

My wife and I (each about age 70) plan on going to Nestor Falls Ont next week for 8 days of Walleye, Crappie and Musky action, cath & release. Just lately having second thoughts, maybe we should be going to Devils Lake, ND. We’ve never been there and keep hearing good things about ND. Is ND that good, or is it hype? Just looking for general comments, not trying to stir up border conflict. Thanks for info. [/quote

Never been to Nester Falls but I will be up on DL over Labor Day for the second time this summer.

Depends on what you are looking for. Is DL a pretty lake or area to spend time in ? NO IMHO but if you are looking for great great fishing then DL can be absolutely fantastic! It will take you some time to learn how and where to get around the area and the lake but for fishing it is top notch. Walleye, pike, perch & white bass are all there in huge numbers. If you want more of a nice northern woods lake experience then DL is not the place. IMHO

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I saw some walleye pictures from ND. Not sure what lake. Fantastic. I spent a week in Ontario and the fishing was good. Not as good as my buddy had in ND

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Go to Devils Lake next year if you are already booked. The scenery in Ontario is about as good as the fishing.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I dont know where you are coming from but I would go up to Ontario. Fishing might be good on Devils Lake right now but you cant beat the scenery and privacy of most of the Canadian lakes in that area.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

It all depends on what you want to experience. If you want solitude and beautiful scenery then it’s Canada. Since you are not keeping fish then you don’t have to worry about Canada’s small limits.

We have always had good success in the Dakotas with Walleye, Northern, and Panfish especially Perch in SD.

We will never go back to Canada just because of the distance, cost, limits on how many fish we can keep and other restrictions.

We have fished Devil’s lake 4 times and also went to South Dakota near Waubay, Oahe, and others. We really like the Dakotas especially South Dakota since it is so much closer. We can rent a house at a very reasonable price and bring anything we want to drink, eat, and bait without the restrictions in Canada. That and we like to keep the money in the US.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

I dont know where you are coming from but I would go up to Ontario. Fishing might be good on Devils Lake right now but you cant beat the scenery and privacy of most of the Canadian lakes in that area.

X2

To me it’s a choice of wind blown prairie or beautiful scenery of Northern Forests and Lakes.

Little Moose Lodge

or Cedar Island Lodge or google the lake for others.

Walleye’s, Lake Trout, Smallie’s, Largemouth, Northern’s, Muskies Perch and Crappie’s. All on over 50-miles of long narrow lakes between Rainy Lake & Lake of the Woods. If weather turns windy, you can always get out of it. All this and hiking, etc.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

No doubt Ontario has beautiful scenery, but I’ll throw in an interesting twist in favor of Devils Lake.

The lake has quadrupled in size since my high school days there in the 80’s. So what?

It’s something to see at least once. Try trolling down a submerged highway, pitching jigs at railroad tracks that twist and turn like a roller coaster, launch your boat in what used to be a farmyard and cruise through at full speed where people used to live. You can also fish around submerged trees, houses, outbuildings, etc. You get the picture,……………… actually most don’t until they see it.

It’s pretty cool to see in person. And the fishing is unreal!!

Eric

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.