Lake Sakakawea

• olisflyrod
    Lakeville MN

What is the fishing like around Williston, North Dakota? I will be going out to visit in two weeks.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

hard to find reports, very jealous. There was a video here somewhere, fishing below the dam, they caught just about everything.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Sorry I’m a little out of touch so this may not be totally accurate. I’m ex ND and Bismarck specifically with relatives in the Williston area.

I’ve not heard of the Williston area being considered Sakakawea. My impression was that was still the river up there and some drive time was needed to go to the lake. That said it is still the same watershed and would think it would have walleyes.

Not too far from there is where the Yellowstone river empties into the Missouri. There may be other species available and seem to remember an uncle talking about paddlefish at one time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

sandmannd

I believe it is still the river up there though I think the lake is very long. I used to fish below the damn all the time. Caught a giant salmon off the wall. There used to be a pool where we would go and limit out on eyes between 5-7 PM and then shift over to the current and get in on some cats and pike. Even paddlefish moved around there.

I miss fishing up there and on the Missouri by Bismarck. Great fisheries for sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.