Wrigley field help… things to do in Chicago?

• jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

This will be our first visit to the windy city and know nothing about food, bars, to do’s etc. Also, where should a guy sit in wrigley stadium anyone ever been? Thanks IDOers

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If you are a 20 something and like to drink head for the bleachers in left field. Remember not much said will be PG so I wouldn’t bring kids out there.

Ditka’s restaurant downtown is nice I’ve heard. Also no trip to Chicago would be complete without a trip to the lake shore in the summer.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ve been to Wrigley close to 20 times. My wife used to live 3 blocks from there. There’s a lot of fun places to sit in that baseball field. As already mentioned, the bleachers are fun. Just remember if you’re in right field….left field sucks and vice versa…

The best seats I had for pure entertainment were right behind the camera guys. When they aren’t tracking the ball on the field they’re tracking the female fans in the crowd. If it’s a sunny day, there’s plenty to watch, other than baseball.

Eating establishments, try Harry Caray’s Steakhouse. Great food. Right across the street from Wrigley is Cubby Bear, another great place to hang out for a while. If you want a real taste of Chicago, go try Clark Street Dog. It’s south of Wrigley and a bit of a walk, but worth it.

There’s literally a ton of things to do and see down there. Shedd Aquarium, Lincoln Park Zoo, Navy Pier(our family favorite) and the Field Museum.

I can’t wait to get back down there soon. Good luck with your trip and I hope you have fun!

hnd

get a slice at baccis before the game. it’s the size of a car hood and like 4 bucks with a drink.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If you go to the Cubby Bear, don’t drink too many Cubby Bombs. That’ll haunt you for days.

Not that the Old Style they serve in Wrigley won’t

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Addison and Clark Streets are great. Park your vehicle and just walk. There are tons of great things to do in that neighborhood. Thai food all night, there is a good irish bar there somewhere. I think it was called the Unicorn everyone brings an instrument. The Wild Hair if you like Jamaican music.(not sure if it is still there or not). We used to go there in the middle of the week for a live 10 peice band and like 15 people would be there. I saw a couple big time bands there and you could sit and have beers with them. Bring lots of cash as everything is pricey around there.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I grew up in Chicago and still get back frequently.
    Make sure you get some of the great pizza available there. Uno’s, Due’s, Geno’s are all great.
    I also agree you need to have a “Chicago Hot Dog” or two. Ask for it with “everything on it”. Awesome! The Italian beef sandwiches are also terrific. I really like the Portillo’s restaurants for their hot dogs and beef sandwiches.
    The Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium are both right on the lakefront right near downtown. They’re both really fun places for adults and kids.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Lots of great bars/restaurants on Division and Rush. If you want to see how the wealthy live and bump elbows with local celebrities/athletes, go to Tavern on Rush or Gibson’s (they are across the street from each other).

lhprop1
    Eagan

If you’re in Chicago, the best thing to do is to head north, east, south, or west and just get the ‘ell out of murderland as fast as you can.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You need some ice big guy!

lhprop1> Debbie downer.

tstatz
    wis

all the sugestions are good I would add the field museum if yu have not met SUE it a greatlook.There is a boat tour that travels around downtown on the rivers.Have fun!!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

when I go to chicago I have to go to twin anchors bar for ribs. They are great! If time give them a try.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Awesome tips! Any transportation tips?

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I’ll second Harry Carrys, Portillos, Shed Aquarium and Field Museum. Or the Museum Of Science And Industry is cool too.. Also consider checking out the bar on the top floor of the John Hancock Center and grabbing lunch at Ed Debeviks

There are also a couple bass pro shops in the area.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Awesome tips! Any transportation tips?

in Chicago, it’s evidentally perfectly acceptable to “feel your way in” when parallel parking.

Also bring plenty of change for the tolls unless you know someone with an I Pass. If you do, beg them to borrow it.

and finally, you don’t want to be driving anywhere near there during rush hour traffic.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Portillos

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. You know a place is good when the cops line up to eat there. Awesome hot dogs.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Just spent 7 days in Chicago, most on family fun days. Hancock observation deck is good with headset guided tour of the city. The boat cruises are good also but I’d skip the architecture tour. I really don’t care who built the building, they could have told me the wrong name and I wouldn’t have known.

Do the fireworks boat tour. Every Wed and Sat night fireworks over navy pier. Very good from shore or boat but I recommend boat. They do serve beer and drinks on the boats.

Weber Grill and Heaven on Seven Rush street are very good places to eat. There are so many places downtown its very hard to choose. One place to avoid, Margaritaville on Navy Pier, in fact, I’d avoid every eating place on the pier. Michael Jordan has opened a restaurant in the Intercontinental Hotel on Michigan Av.

I would recommend staying downtown as close to Michigan Av as you can then walking places or if you have 2-4 in your party, just use the cabs. Quicker door to door service for $10 instead of crowding onto a bus or one of those trolley services.

Enjoy!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Belden Deli half a block south of Clark and Fullerton…best Rueben ever.

The Abacus (sp?) just north of that corner for great Chinese.

Just find Clark and Fullerton and your head will spin with bars and restaurants to choose from.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.