zebra mussels to clean fish tank?

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

Has anyone tried putting zebra mussels in their fish tank to keep it clean? It seems like those little things could do a better job than the snails and bottom feeders that I have in there now.

mudcatkid
    On water

No, but I have thought about. However, it would not be legal and using the water from your tank has potential to transport the zebra mussel veligers (microscopic young) to areas you fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wouldn’t try it. DNR gonna come knocking at your door after posting this. They’ll probably also gate up your house, inspect you and hose you down every time you enter or leave your home.

And just think, it was someone with an aquarium who gave us Eurasian millfoil. In Florida, they have oscars as an invasive fish too.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I had a few shad in a tank once. They might clear up green water buy otherwise I think they would starve.

desperado

Quote:

I wouldn’t try it. DNR gonna come knocking at your door after posting this. They’ll probably also gate up your house, inspect you and hose you down every time you enter or leave your home.

Don’t forget … they’re also gonna want to make sure you don’t have a plug in your drain hole

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mike that’s absolutely brilliant!

I was just cleaning my tank tonight thinking of ways to not have to climb in there to scrub it down.

However if it really gets quiet around your house it’s likely the Black Apache ‘copters in stealth mode.

Anyone know how a hypostomus plecostomus and bullheads get along??

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

[they’re also gonna want to make sure you don’t have a plug in your drain hole

Brian, I would imagine the pleco would be fine. They are like armored tanks. They will also chase fish that bug them, at least the ones I had would. Then again, I wouldn’t put it past the bullheads to wear down and chew up a pleco. Only one way to find out!

sandmannd

I’m sure they’d work great, but how do you get them home? Illegal to transport so you’d have to teleport them.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

A plecostomus will not clean or filter water, they will only help if you have an algae problem. If you plan on trying it, get one of good size. They are armored and tough but if constantly picked at by bigger fish they will not last.

I like the zebra idea. It would also be cool to see how often you will need to thin them out. There is liquid food for invertebrates kept in aquariums that I’m sure they would thrive on. If only it was legal.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Legal?? I’m doing independent research to find a cure for them. That’s why I have them in my aquarium. Wonder if I can get some research grants….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

you have an algae problem

How about brown algae?

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Naw, the city will probably just put an unlocked chain across his garage Monday through Thursday from 10:00 until 3:00. They might also make him go to the car wash every time he tries to leave his house.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The common plecostomus will eat brown algae. If you end up getting one you should sink some hiding places for him. Small PVC pipe works great or a turned over flower pot with a chunk knocked out of the side for an entrance.
    Ramshorn Snails are also a great addition to a tank with brown algae.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Bret for helping me to keep my bait tank more clean!

Now when are we going to go hunting for Ramshorn Snails?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A quick google search shows they can be had for shipping costs.

Interesting…off the the DNR site to see if it’s legal to transport them, endangered, on the threatened list or any other laws that pertain to them.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Bret, its only illegal in the aquariums of the experimenters, plus others, who says experimenting to make things better is bad, just saying!!!. I know they filter alot of water.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.