first of the season

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The first tomatoes of the season are on the table now, some are chopped and in a bowl with chopped garlic, chopped shallot, fresh chopped basil leaves, a smidge of suger, sal and pepper and oil oil to make tonight’s dinner. This mixture will get spread over the cut halves of a loaf of Italian bread that’s been lightly toasted with garlic butter. Some fresh grated parmessan cheese tops everything then it gets brioiled for five minutes. Seved with a tall glass of iced tea this is hard to beat.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Plan on having BLTs with fresh tomatoes tonight. Corn on the cob too.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Both sound wonderful!!!

Jake_A

Throw some brook trout on the grill and thats the best meal in the world!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Our cherry tomatoe has been putting out some fruit for a week. I sure like not having to even look at a tomatoe in the grocery store. Our potaos are sure good. My onion tops are starting to brown and nod now so they’ll be pulled soon and hung to dry/cure. The things are softball sized this year. Tons of green beaans. We pick a pail, clean them up and blanch 2/3 for the freezer and chow on the rest. The heat bit my snap peas but not until I got a dozen bags in the freezer.

In our other garden away from the house the squash are going bonkers. Ma can’t keep up with the Zucchini and my hard squash have maybe a hundred squash on the vines. This rain will sure help the squash out. I think my carrots grew 6″ just since the rain stopped this morning.

MDD

OK,

Grandma gave me a recipe for VBH lettuce and Tomato. Fry up shaved Virginia baked ham instead of bacon (she is watching grandpa)and I’ll tell you it is GREAT. Try it !

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That tomato recipe can be served either broiled, like I plan to do tonight, or you can toast some small bread slices and butter with the garlic butter and spoon the tomato mixture on the cooled toast and just top with grated parmessan. I like it both ways.

I just tasted my tomato mixture and the shallots really put some umph in it this time around. lol

mstrumar

Mine aren’t ready yet, can I come get one???

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You could have…before we ate dinner. Gone now. Nothing left but garlic breath. Gotta say, there is nothing in this world like food right out of the garden.

mstrumar

Tomorrow after work I will be hitting up the produce stand at 7th and Broadway for some tomatoes.. I am craving fresh (not store bought) like crazy

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nothing on earth like home or locally grown foods.

mstrumar

Quote:

Nothing on earth like home or locally grown foods.

AMEN!!!

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

I know what you mean. I had my first tomatoes last week now I have plenty of ripe tomatoes with LOTS of green ones yet also. I will have to start canning shortly or start making my salsa. Nothing like fresh salsa and chips on the water.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Hey chad nice fish get him in the miss

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

Yes I did, but I hate to admit it my wife caught one bigger than mine. Hers is on the wall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.