Black Walnut Tree

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Did you know that you can’t grow tomatoes near a black walnut tree? I didn’t. Now, all my plants are dying.

Bummer.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

There are a lot of things you cannot grow by a Black Walnut tree, I learned the hard way also dude

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Bullheads die when the tank is under a Black Walnut tree.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

There are a lot of things you cannot grow by a Black Walnut tree…

So I learned. My carrots, onions, green beans, and jalapenos appear ready to weather the walnut. The tomatos and bell peppers, not so much.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Yes nasty trees. We used cut the husks off the nut and boil them to blacken our traps.

Mwal

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I have seen a video( maybe it was here) where busted up walnuts soaked in water, then the water poured over your night crawler ground will send the crawlers topside faster than you can spit. Evidently, nothing likes walnuts……except humans & squirrels!

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I will be cutting ours down as soon as I can, hate it! Sweet corn and pumpkins do fine but my tomato plant is 30 feet away, not near the drip zone, and is close to death.

desperado

Quote:

I will be cutting ours down as soon as I can,

good chance most here already know this, but just in case …

plan on having more than one sharp chain available or be willing to resharpen a couple times during the project
    probably one sharp chain to cut it down and two more to cut it up

Black Walnut can be nearly like cutting through steel and is pretty rough on the blade being used to cut it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Might want to have someone else cut it down. Black Walnut gets good money if the tree is in decent shape.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

Might want to have someone else cut it down. Black Walnut gets good money if the tree is in decent shape.

X2 … People steal those trees…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Did you know that you can’t grow tomatoes near a black walnut tree? I didn’t. Now, all my plants are dying.

Bummer.

my garden is part shaded by a black walnut. got tomatoes near it as well as my cucumbers and not having issues. got a soft spot for black walnut trees…….dont know why but i do. i may pay a bit more attention to see if theres a difference in mater production from mt plants closer and further away from the tree. my horesradish does well right next to it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Bummer.

Bummer indeed. Yes I did know.

crappies

yep they are worth some good money if they are in good shape and straight! have someone come look before you cut it down is what i would do as well.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Many log buyers won’t touch yard walnuts due to wire from fences, nails from bird feeders and such. I cut a lot of walnut for my outdoor wood burner and it cuts just like any other hardwood, a little easier than oak if anything. Let the tree stand, move the garden.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

SGT ROCK. that was some awesome info. it says its toxic zone is 50-60 feet from the trunk.i know i got rubarb within 50 ft of the trunk of the tree and does well. i know the info says its based on observation and not clinical tests and have had some of the veggies and annuals planted near the tree with no real problems. and my tree is 30 plus years old.

in regards to the value of the tree…………when my pops looked into having someone “harvest” his tree which was all of 9ft in circumference, the only ones that even showed an interest where from iowa and they told him it was cost prohibited to travel that far, to stearns county, to get it. the guy that owned the local lumber yard gave pops $500 for it. it did make some good gun stocks and clocks though.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ve never heard of this.

I have two huge black walnut trees in my yard. My neighbor grows tomatoes under one and the other is right next to a row of lilac bushes. Neither seem to be effected.

How are these supposed to hurt humans? If you eat the bark or … ? Just curious.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I know it’s not good for people if they eat more than one branch in a day. It’s know to cause cancer in CA mice.

desperado

Quote:

I’ve never heard of this.

I have two huge black walnut trees in my yard. My neighbor grows tomatoes under one and the other is right next to a row of lilac bushes. Neither seem to be effected.

maybe, like us, some are more noxious/obnoxious than others

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I heard that.

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Black Walnut trees emit a “silt” on windy days that can, not will but can kill your tomato plants, it’s best not to have them within 50′ of any of those trees. I called the U of M and asked them about it a couple years ago, my tomatoes would be doing great, then almost overnight be stringy and lifeless.

My sister has 4 or 5 mature black walnuts in her yard to be taken down, they are mature trees probably 25 to 30′ before the first branch off the main trunk. I’ve contacted many people about taking them down for $$$ and they have all told me, it’s just another tree to us we don’t pay but we’ll gladly remove them for you. I’ve yet to locate anyone who wants them for stocks or any purpose other than to grind and mulch.

jerry b
    western WI

My sister has 4 or 5 mature black walnuts in her yard to be taken down, they are mature trees probably 25 to 30′ before the first branch off the main trunk. I’ve contacted many people about taking them down for $$$ [/quote}]
    Damn- – -here I sit wishing I was 30 yrs younger (again) jerr

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m not certain of the spelling but the problem with tomatoes vs black walnut is Juglome poisoning. Black walnut trees emit this well outside of their drip line or root ball. It doesn’t do any good to cut the tree since this crap in the ground takes years to break down. The only real cure I have heard of is to put your lanscaping fabric down on ground you’ve nixed with round up and build raised beds atop of the fabric but you still need to have a couple feet of soil OVER the contaminated ground. We have a black walnut out in the park behind the house and the only good it delivers is target practice for squirrels and crows.

desperado

Quote:

I’m not certain of the spelling but the problem with tomatoes vs black walnut is Juglome poisoning.

as soon as I read that, it immediately brought to mind doing prank calls looking for a guy named Haywood

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

If you are working with Black Walnut by cutting or sanding where you create sawdust, make sure you use a filter mask. The sawdust is toxic to humans if you inhale it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I found this on a site and it pretty much confirms whats been said.

“Juglone occurs in the leaves, bark and wood of black walnuts although to a lesser degree than their roots and hulls. A Black Walnut sapling can spread juglone twice the radius of its small canopy. English Walnut and Carpathian Walnut trees are sometimes grafted onto Black Walnut rootstock (Juglans nigra L.) and Butternut rootstock (Juglans cinerea L.), making those trees produce toxins as well. Because juglone is poorly soluble in water, it tends not to leach out of the soil. Many plants such as tomato, potato, blackberry, blueberry, azalea, mountain laurel, rhododendron, red pine and apple may be injured or killed within one to two months of growth within the root zone of these trees. A few other trees closely related to black walnut produce limited quantities of juglone although toxicity is seldom observed. Those trees are butternut, English walnut, pecan, shagbark and bitternut hickory.

The presence of juglone is highly concentrated immediately under the leaf canopy of black walnuts, both from the tree roots and the accumulation of dead and dying debris. Decaying roots from a dead black walnut tree can still contain juglone for many years. The leaves containing juglone may be composted where the juglone will break down in several weeks from the presence of bacteria, air and water. If you want to test the toxicity of composted walnut leaves, plant tomato seedlings in it. Tomatoes are highly sensitive to juglone and will quickly die in its presence.”

seeds
    SE WI

“silt” on windy days…Toxic sawdust…

There may be an arborist reading this and chuckling.

On hot days,red oak sawdust is far more of an irritant than walnut – at least for the guy doing the cutting. However,running shovel-fulls and shovel-fulls of green walnut nuts thru a chipper does result in a light rash and slight burning sensation. Don’t stand downwind of the chute.

BTW,if cutting with a chainsaw results in more saw “dust” than small chips,the chain needs sharpening. Cut with your mouth closed and you won’t inhale any wood chips.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i know this thread went off to the wayside but i just wanna say since i have a real passion for some odd reason for black walnut trees this has been one of the most infomative and interesting posts i have followed in a while!!!! THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED.
    it was even more interesting then bullheads and catfish!!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The old country lore down here is, don’t grow a garden close to a walnut tree. Biologically I don’t know why but I wouldn’t do it. Tannin depositits or acidity, don’t know why. I won’t do it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.