Trolling reels/bottom bouncing?

• eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Does anybody use Linecounters on a regular bait casting rod for pulling bouncers? I’ve been throwing the idea around. What do you guys think?

KirtH
    Lakeville

Yes! I use the 17 series Diawa allows you to duplicate productive depths.

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

I have used Linecounters for bottom bouncers but I would rather use, and do use, bait casters with a flipping switch.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

A downside to using linecounters for bottom bouncing

is the weight of the reel. It can get tiresome if you are

holding the rod all day versus using a rod holder..I usually use a Shimano Curado that weighs about 7 1/2 ounces that has a thumb bar. Trolling on Lake Erie with multiple lines would be an ideal opportunity to use the linecounters IMHO.

Palerider77

I also try to keep everything as light as possible. Thus no line counter.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

I bought 2 of the Daiwa Accudepth ADICV-15 Linecounters 3 years ago when they first came out and love them.Lightweight and great drag. Same size as my Shimano Curado.Weigh 9.9 ozs. Hardly heavy at all. Its a digital readout and if you do not want to use the counter, turn it off. Pretty nice reels.A little pricy but what isn’t nowadays when it comes to recreational products!

joemama
    North St Paul

i use a pair of accudepth 17’s on my bottom bouncers love the ability to return to the same angle after catching a fish..or if i’m not catching this gives me the oppertunity to change up letting out more line or going shorter

paulroecker

When fishing with the wife and kids, I always use them and set them to “buzz” when the fish bite. It a lot easier for all and more exciting for the kids.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I do as well. I use them on lake Michigan.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If I had to use a line-counter reel for bottom-bouncing a rocky reef, I’d crank up the line a good 5′ off the bottom and throw the rod in the rod holder, kick back in the chair, and take a nap…….Too cumbersome and no benefit.

If you use a line counter on bottom bouncing to find your depth and repeat it, then do you use a line counter to fish jigs on the river? To repeat the depth?

Too bulking and cumbersome when you are already pulling 2-3oz weights in the first place.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.