Need some help with high blood sugar in the am

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My readings are always 250 in the morning. I’m using Novolog for meals and Lantus/Metformin before I go to bed. But still get high readings when I wake up. I snack after 9pm.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Check your sugar level before bed time, if you are having good readings then bump up your lantus before bed time.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

iam at 20 units Lantus before bed

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Lantus does not drop your blood sugar it helps keep it from spiking while inactive. If you are testing good before bedtime and not snacking after you last Novolog injection I would bump up the lantus to 25 units. I just went through this 2 months ago. I went from 12 units of lantus a night to 18 and now am waking up at 100 instead of the 230.
    Not sure what your relationship is with your doctor but I was able to get this advise with just a phone call from mine.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I was also told if that didn’t do the trick to get my butt in for the office visit!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Do you rotate your injection sites?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Taking up to 5 a day, most definitely.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Don’t thank me, lets just hope that brings your am levels back to a good reading dude

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

If you snack after 9pm, take enough novolog to adjust for that snack. Lantus peaks typically 12-15 hours so the morning readings really have not had a chance to be effected by Lantus. Taking the correct amount of Novolog for whatever your snack is will help with your numbers because of the fast acting insulin. Make sure to test before you fall asleep as well. I feel you can never test too much. I am also at 4 shots a day and I rotate injections as well.

I am meeting with my doctor on Tuesday to look into getting the pump, therefore all I have to do is carry the tester with.

dentedboatguy

As a family doc I will give some general advice. Usually the lantus needs to be increased by 2-3 units every 5-7 days until the morning sugar is in 120-140 range. However the specifics of your diabetic care may be best addressed by your doc. This can at times get quite complicated and it is easy to get in the weeds. Very important to keep working on and adjusting the medical care and drug doses.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I should also state I’m taking Zyperxa and seriquel. Both drugs casuse high sugar.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

As a family doc I will give some general advice. Usually the lantus needs to be increased by 2-3 units every 5-7 days until the morning sugar is in 120-140 range. However the specifics of your diabetic care may be best addressed by your doc. This can at times get quite complicated and it is easy to get in the weeds. Very important to keep working on and adjusting the medical care and drug doses.

Amen

glenn57
    cold spring mn

man thats gotta suck!!!!! i can keep mine under control……….so far with a pill in the am and the pm. good luck !!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Welcome aboard Doc.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

what are some good spots to alternate?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Here is a good read for you Derek.
    I stay in the stomach but alternate from top to bottom and left to right with each shot.

web page

beck
    Menomonie, WI

There are a lot more factors effecting BS than you’re going to be able to sort out on the forums. Talk to your doc. He or she knows your case the best including important factors like your history, diet, activity level, weight, entire list of meds and daily dosing regimens, and on and on and on. If your doc sucks, find one that doesn’t.

Good luck.
    Chris

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Great thread and very helpful…
    Cal, one of the older Yoopers has struggled with severe Diabetes for some time and went on the pump last year…seems to be working well for him.
    I know when I let my weight get too high my sugar also gets near problem levels… So far I have avoided medication.

Bob/MN

My suggestion is to get some professional advice and do what the man tells you.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

metformin requires at least 1 FULL glass of water when taken..to help break it down in your system,,/.

MOST OF ALL SEE YOUR DOCTOR, NOW…

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Ive seen three doctors and got three opinions. I want the omni pod wireless pump but my medicare doesnt cover it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.