Insurance Rant

• LenH
    Wisconsin

I am the only son. I have 5 sisters. My mother is 84 years old. We divide things between us kids on looking out for my mother. My area I have been given is the Home and Car Insurance. Ever so often I look at my mother’s insurance policies and evaluate them to see if they are proper. Five years ago I looked at my mom’s insurances and they were way out of whack.

She owns a house that is valued at 62,000 and with the land the house/Land comes up to 85,500. Her home was being insured for 200,000 with contents. I called the agent to inquire. He called my mother’s policy a Platinum Policy. Her deductible was at the lowest amount possible. She had never made a claim in her life. After I was done with speaking to the agent I lowered my mom’s household policy by 60 percent and her car policy by 25 percent. I decided that the policy must have been a mistake that I passed off as my mother being elderly and signing off on something she didn’t know a clue about.

I went for my weekly visit to my mother today and she handed me her insurance again and said it had gone up lots in the last 6 months. I gave her a hard time for not telling me sooner. I looked at the policies and they were way out of whack again. I called her agent and adjusted it. I saved my mother who is 84 living on Social Security 214 dollars in 6 months on one call.

I wonder how many old people are being taken advantage of out there?

I called the insurance home office and filed a formal complaint and had the agent removed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Len, after you’re done ranting and feel better, give Justin Schinder a call. Just for S&G’s.

I want half the money he saves your Mother.

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

did the agent give you any reasoning behind the increased insured value? Like…appraised value vs. replacement cost etc. Alot of moving parts in those policies. I am not an agent, but sometimes what seems to be turns out not to be. The only way you find out who is right, you or the agent, is if there is a claim. I hope you never find out. Until then …rant away.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Len I won’t give you my biased opinion of insurance companies.

The 3 strike thing would not apply in this case. Cancel the policy, fire the agent and change companies just on general principal.

wkw

I (for a change) agree with BK. Call Justin ! I just switched both vehicles to him and am saving $84.00 a MONTH.
    I just had a discussion 5 minutes ago with a bunch of guys at the mechanics about the same thing. They and I have had the same issues as you, Len. They need to be held accountable and work for you, not there self.
    WKW

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Well, i didn’t change the agent (i’ve had him for 35 years), but i did read him the riot act, gave him 2 months and LORDY, the premium dropped 50% and the coverage didn’t move an inch…
    Those pesky little monthly bumps you know…

chomps
    Sioux City IA

as was mentioned there are lots of factors, moving parts, and misunderstandings. It is the agents job to make sure you understand everything, the premium needs to be in line with the sevice/coverage expected. I know I get some clients moving to me for service even though I’m not the cheapest, never would want to be the cheapest. It’s usually the cheapest companies who sucker you in, drop a few increases on you then provide poor service. Do things right from the begining, do a good job on gathering facts, provide the proper recommendations, and follow up every year if not more. That being said, remember peplacement coverage, especially in older homes, is higher than market value. It is cheaper to buy the neighbors house than it cost to replace your own, hence carrying more coverage than you think you can sell your house.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes Len.

Not knowing more about your situation and not wanting to criticize another insurance agent without knowing more details, I can only speculate why your mother recieved an increase. What concerns me is how your mother could see a rate increase on her home insurance policy mid-term?

In general, the amount of claims the midwest has seen as well as the overall state of our economy has casued insurance rates to increase over the past few years.

I can tell you however that insurance rates are still very affordable for older citizens through many insurance carriers.

If you’re interested in me looking into some alternative insurance options or have any other questions, feel free to give me a call and I’d be happy to assist.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Every time I have an increase on my P&C (Auto & Home owners) I shop. Every time I have shopped in the last 6-8 years I either saved money or found the exact same coverage, apples to apples, for the rate I had before the increase. Funny how that happens

Quote:

Every time I have an increase on my P&C (Auto & Home owners) I shop. Every time I have shopped in the last 6-8 years I either saved money or found the exact same coverage, apples to apples, for the rate I had before the increase. Funny how that happens

I advise my clients to do the same Scott.

Being an independent agent, I actually encourage my clients to take advantage of the other carriers I have available and let me shop the rate around for them every few years.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Quote:

Being an independent agent, I actually encourage my clients to take advantage of the other carriers I have available and let me shop the rate around for them every few years.

Thats exactly what I do. I work with my local agent and let them do the shopping. A local agent that knows what he/she is doing is a very valuable tool when shopping for insurance. IMHO

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I (for a change) agree with BK. Call Justin ! I just switched both vehicles to him and am saving $84.00 a MONTH.
    I just had a discussion 5 minutes ago with a bunch of guys at the mechanics about the same thing. They and I have had the same issues as you, Len. They need to be held accountable and work for you, not there self.
    WKW

Suck up all you want…not going to help walleye guy.

And Justin, you misunderstood me…I said charge WKW $84. MORE.

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

Hi Len, good your are looking after your mother. Elderly get taken addvantage of way to many times. On another note, do you know of any plastics that work well for stream trout, going to montana again with my son. All the regs are different on streches of the same stream ect. would be nice to just not have to worry about live bait regs. thanks

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

Len, you can send me a pm if you want. thanks again

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

17 days left

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.