Anyone Know What It Is?

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Just seen this rig go past the office; wish I could have seen it closer.
    The first barge appeared to be holding recycling/trash in a fenced in area.
    The second had a beautiful building on it with a steel roof. It looked nicer than a lot of homes that I have seen.
    I have never seen this rig in the area before and was wondering if anyone knows the story behind it.
    It’s heading north on pool 8 right now and should be to the lock in a little bit.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

BK’s new camper at Everts?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Just seen this rig go past the office

Damn, you got a nice view there Bret!

-J.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Just seen this rig go past the office

Damn, you got a nice view there Bret!

-J.

Yes we do

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

If I had that view, I would invest in a very good spotting scope.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

If I had that view, I would invest in a very good spotting scope.

Yep

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i suspect that it’s the crew housing barge. Most of the employees stay on it during season. There’s one anchored at the bottom of Pepin also.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That has to be it Jesse. The dwelling that guy has on the second barge is a lot nicer than most homes.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the trash barge behind the living quarters? Or maybe the guy is from the South St Paul/Wakota Bridge area?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Hey that’s out of my old window and aren’t you supposed to be working???

desperado

Quote:

BK’s new camper at Everts?

hmmmm, as much as I suspect this was kinda meant to be humorous (and it WAS good humor) … with the intermittent high water levels they experience in that location, camper-on-a-barge really would be a pretty ingenious concept

BBKK
    IA

yeah that’s that river clean-up barge. I’ve seen it a few times on the Miss. The captain is an

herb
    6ft under

To you perhaps but if it’s Pegracke he’s very much dedicated to what he does for the river. We dove for shells in the same areas many years ago and he talked about trying to clean up the river long before it became ‘fashionable’.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

To you perhaps but if it’s Pegracke he’s very much dedicated to what he does for the river. We dove for shells in the same areas many years ago and he talked about trying to clean up the river long before it became ‘fashionable’.

He does not captain it, some old guy does. He ran over my duck blind with that thing then told the sheriff I shouldn’t have built it in the water. Sorry, next time I’ll build my duck blind in a cow pasture.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’ll make a good goose blind.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Where would a guy have a duck blind placed that a barge could run over

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

He does not captain it, some old guy does.

BBK you must have missed what Herb said! They dove for shells together…SHELLS that were made into shirt buttons!

Herb is the founder of the Old Farts Club!!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I don’t see many duck blinds out in the main channel up here. Maybe it’s just an Iowa thing.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

IA, MI, SoDak, NoDak, and many others you can hunt open water, so blinds can be anywhere.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Tying off your duck blind to a channel marker again Stu?

mstrumar

Hey Bret!! Look what just went by us here at Everts!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That’s cool, they sure are covering some ground.. I mean water!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And the name of the vessel is….

RIVER CLEANUP

fitting huh?

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

BUSTED!! Again…

BBKK
    IA

My blind was about 20′ off the bank along a rip/rap shoreline in 5 FOW where it has been for 5 years. (approved and zoned by the Iowa DNR) He decided he was going to park it on that shoreline and just plowed her right over.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Quote:

My blind was about 20′ off the bank along a rip/rap shoreline in 5 FOW where it has been for 5 years. (approved and zoned by the Iowa DNR) He decided he was going to park it on that shoreline and just plowed her right over.

I find it hard to believe that he’d park it in 5 FOW Also the barges have total right of way on the river.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that he’d park it in 5 FOW Also the barges have total right of way on the river.

Yes but under Iowa law, the blind is registered to me so it is my property. It would be the same as if a barge came and took out your dock, which is your property zoned and approved by the Iowa DNR. Barge can come and take out your dock because it is in the river and they have the right of way? What about if your boat is attached to the dock, can they sink a $20,000 boat and just chalk it up to the right of way?

Mike Stephens
    WI.

A barge capt. could see a dock with a boat. A blind not so much. That’s why they’re called blinds right?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.