Tournaments still killing fish article

• john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m not a bass guy so I don’t care if they kill them all in the name of sport. Isn’t the only reason they’re in the lake is for tourney fishermen anyway? Why else would anyone fish for bass?

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I have enjoyed the reading of so many opinions from bass contest participants. I have gained a small bit of insight on the thinking that causes you folks to do what you do. I am currently reading the opinions voiced by you folks in response to the boundary set for a contest at Green Bay, WI. One poster is a prolific poster here. Thanks again.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If your not worried/concerned about fish mortality, you SHOULD quit fishing…period.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I agree with G. I’m all for selective harvest but some of you guys need to stay away from the local fish worship sanctuary. And I just farted.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Maybe a well respected member here Cade Laufenberg can lend a hand on the problem. Come on Cade you have your schooling to be a big help here. Thanks

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Maybe a well respected member here Cade Laufenberg can lend a hand on the problem. Come on Cade you have your schooling to be a big help here. Thanks

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I agree with G. I’m all for selective harvest but some of you guys need to stay away from the local fish worship sanctuary. And I just farted.

Imitation is a form of flattery.

Bullet21XD

Quote:

If your not worried/concerned about fish mortality, you SHOULD quit fishing…period.

What percentage of caught and released fish die?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

When I was more involved with the BASS Conservation activity’s they estimated all tournament caught and released fish to have 25% mortality rate. While this seems high, it includes the natural mortality risks that normally occur. Since this is an average, it is looking at events conducted all times of the year and with a wide range of water temperatures. I’d put it closer to 15% for our northern climate accept for events in July and August.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

This site is still the same. Guys that decide to form their own opinion depending on the species of fish. “I don’t fish for bass, so who cares, kill them all.” There would be a lot of different opinions from many different people here if it were walleyes or muskies…oh and catfish (sorry BrianK). Maybe we should all just grow up and learn to have an intelligent conversation sometimes about the topic at hand, regardless of what species it is? That’d be nice for a change. The segregation of “bass guys”, “walleye guys”, and so on is overwhelming and unfortunately nothing has changed here over the past several years.

Bullet21XD

Quote:

When I was more involved with the BASS Conservation activity’s they estimated all tournament caught and released fish to have 25% mortality rate. While this seems high, it includes the natural mortality risks that normally occur. Since this is an average, it is looking at events conducted all times of the year and with a wide range of water temperatures. I’d put it closer to 15% for our northern climate accept for events in July and August.

Actually Buzz…the answer is 100%.

110% if a bass tournament is involved.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am all for managing the entire fishery in Minnesota.

There is a lot of back and forth between species fishermen on this site, but it is mostly good natured banter. But there still are some who don’t get it.

ccales
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

This site is still the same. Guys that decide to form their own opinion depending on the species of fish. “I don’t fish for bass, so who cares, kill them all.” There would be a lot of different opinions from many different people here if it were walleyes or muskies…oh and catfish (sorry BrianK). Maybe we should all just grow up and learn to have an intelligent conversation sometimes about the topic at hand, regardless of what species it is? That’d be nice for a change. The segregation of “bass guys”, “walleye guys”, and so on is overwhelming and unfortunately nothing has changed here over the past several years.

This was one of the points that I was trying to make but you did a better job. Agreed 100%.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

100 %…eventually.

desperado

Quote:

EVERY fish dies; regardless of whether it was caught and kept, caught and released, or NEVER caught during its entire life.

There’s no question what % die; the question is when.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

What if you had one on your line and it gets off during the fight what percent chance does it have to live?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

——————–
    Practice C.P.R. and you’ll be rewarded for it with more and bigger fish.

I highly doubt a guy who has this as his signature was serious when he made the comment about bass. Lighten up.

Somebody asked the question about multiple day tournaments. In the walleye events I fish, they release the fish the first day or donate them. On the second day we have the option to keep them.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I don’t think that the bags themselves are as bad a problem as the process whereby you wait for ten minutes to weigh your fish. All tournaments should strive to reduce mortality any way they can. You could provide weigh bags that you have to use to limit the people in line or provide oxygenated tanks for the people in line or any other ideas to help prevent mortality.

If clubs don’t even try to limit mortality they really should do what the author implies and just make it a catch and kill tournament so the resource isn’t wasted.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I got a thick skin Pug and I like you too—-in a redneck sort of way

My advanced apologies, but reading this statement started the theme from Deliverance playing in my mind…

desperado

Quote:

I’m not a bass guy so I don’t care if they kill them all in the name of sport. Isn’t the only reason they’re in the lake is for tourney fishermen anyway? Why else would anyone fish for bass?

I hereby place this quote, by John23, in nomination for Post Of The Year.

gmartell
    LaCrosse, WI

What is so interesting about all this BS about tournaments killing fish is the fact that I can not remember the last time I saw a dead bass floating in the river. With all the tournaments being held in LaCrosse and surrounding areas you never see anything other than ruff fish or an occasional bluegill, which probably swallowed a hook. With the number of limits being handled at the scales there should be a lot of bass floating according to the well educated, anti tournament leadership in the WDNR. Shouldn’t there?

desperado

everyone knows dead bass sink

mfreeman451

looolll…

Quote:

Not sure if it’s the tournament he’s talking about, if in fact he was even at a tournament. But we use bags, and even though I don’t care much about fish dying, I wouldn’t mind seeing tubs at the weigh-ins. It’d be much easier on my back.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Most organized tournaments are using plastic bags for mere minutes until they get the fish into Mesh Bags which sit in tubs of well oxygenated water….

Even our club uses mesh bag inserts to pull right out of the bag and to the scale and then back into the water. We are very self conscience of keeping fish alive.

The key is planning….keep your fish in the livewells with the water churning until you are ready to weigh…

Unfortunately not everyone is on that same page yet…and I’m not gonna deny that post mortality doesn’t exist….but I know it’s not 100%…

On a side note, I wonder how many bluegills and walleye’s die “post mortality” from deep hooks and guys tossing them back afterwards….Seem to see that a lot at the dam in the spring and all the time w/gill’s…

ALL fisherman can work on improving their own post mortality rates….not just bass fisherman…but again we’re always the ones w/targets on our back….and I know it gets pointed out on here a lot…especially lately…

and Vern – posting this stuff on this site doesn’t do any good…

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Slop, your right that these issues end up being lose-lose because so many have such strong one-sided opinions. Rather then preaching to the choir it becomes much more difficult preaching to the peanut gallery. Whats great about it is that it might, I say “might” move the needle.

This is going to become more of a tournament issue as the science gets known. I’m betting it will become a factor in issuing permits. Big tournaments have to much to lose, if they have a fish kill so they will always use optimal practices. Yet smaller events continually refuse to adopt more optimal measures. Many clubs refuse to fish for inches. My club went this way and it wasn’t an issue.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.