Army Worms

• Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Yesterday I saw my first army worms at my place near Mille Lacs south side. Too soon to tell if this is going to be the big year but we are due as the last big infestation at my place was 1998-2002. Last year they were again bad enough to make the helicopter spray treatment worth while. We spoke with the lady that organized the spraying last year and it sounds like the DNR has gotten involved due to complaints from anti-sprayers. Some kind of formal notification may be required this year, even though they only spray those who have requested and pre-paid. Hard enough to get the helicopter out before the worms have made major damage, delays are not good.

Has anyone else seen any large numbers yet this year?

Last evening the May flies were so thick we could hear the buzzing with the doors closed. At least they do not eat my trees leaves.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

I almost crashed last time – up near Ash River Trail. So thick, wherre they crossed the road that it was like grease.

Nasty

Dog

big_g
    Isle, MN

They were covering the cabin on the east side of the pond friday night already… wife was freaked out by them !!!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I almost crashed last time – up near Ash River Trail. So thick, wherre they crossed the road that it was like grease.

Nasty

Oh I remember that well. Driving into Echo Lake sounded like a popcorn popper. Trees totally covered with the things. Yuck. I hope we’re not going to see that again.

farmerpet
    Hastings Mn

I did see a post on Facebook from someone who lives near Aitkin and they have a tree that is nearly bare from the worms. The post was from today. 5-21

Harris56068

We have a place on Brown’s Point and we did see some worms out last weekend. Can you tell me more about the option to have them sprayed? The worms were really hard on our trees last year and if there is something that can be done we would be interested. Thank you!

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Paul,
    It is not cost effective to get the helicopter guy out for 1 or 3 places. You have to get in with a group of other home owners. Someone has to organize the spraying and collect the $. Apparently not a very desirable job, we have had 3 or 4 give it up in the Onamia area due to complaints, non-payments, etc.

The agent they use is specific to the tent catapillars and 100% effective. A day later you cannot find a live army worm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.