Any way to keep bait legaly for the next day?

• Wadsworth

I understand that we are required to drain our baitwells/dump the water out of our bait buckets, but can we then refill our bait bucket with new water somewhere (like a bathroom or fish cleaning house at the landing) so that we can keep our bait to fish the next day?

If not, is it legal to dump our leftover leeches/minnows into the river when we load our boats?

I’m not trying to stir the pot, I just want to make sure I don’t unknowingly violate some part of the new AIS law and end up with a ticket.

Thanks

pass0047
    Pool4

Got check at a invasive species check point at a boat landing coming off the Mississippi. Was able to take the minnows I had out fishing and place them into a bucket of water I had brought along in my truck. Hope this helps

super_do
    St Michael, MN

You either have to change the water completely or dump bait in the trash. Not in the lake or river. This goes for Leeches as well. My brother was told he needed to change the Leech container water.

Guys here were telling me to put a sealed jug of well water in my livewell, so when changing out the minnow water, it would be the same temp, not shocking the minnows. I’m not sure that would even be legal?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

If not, is it legal to dump our leftover leeches/minnows into the river when we load our boats?

It is illegal to dump your minnows or leeches into the river.

I like both ideas above for keeping my minnows.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Consult your trusty AIS sticker

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

What if I want to use zeebs as bait? Do I have to change the water in the zeeb bucket before leaving the lake?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Man you guys got it rough up there, I’m glad we don’t have to put up with that stuff down here. If they ever get to that point I might just start fishing trout, crazy I know but so are those kind of laws.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Quote:

What if I want to use zeebs as bait? Do I have to change the water in the zeeb bucket before leaving the lake?

Everyone knows the only way to transport zeebs is to smuggle them up your

P. Norts
    Carol Stream, Il

Could you please tell my how the CO is going to be able to tell the difference between lake water and bottled water????
    Sure , I can keep the water jug, but like he’s going to believe me.

ozarkeyes
    Arkansas

mossy- Well that is already getting started in some states if you do any wading. Some areas are requiring cleaning and disinfecting your waders because you can transfer with your waders. Felt soles are the number one culrpit, but even rubber cleat soles can transfer it too. The worst is the didymo algae. It has gotten into the White River here and you know this is a world class trout fishery. Most likely the fly fisherman traveling around world making stops at every trout stream they hear or read about, and not thinking about cleaning their waders. It is a shame to see that hanging on the trees and rocks, when the water level drops the stuff turns white when it dries, but can keep living for several days maybe even longer.

Manufacturers are starting to make removable felt soles, where you can snap them on and off, making them easier to clean and disinfect them.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Reality just set in I guess and I guess you never know. I guess we’ll all have to put up with invasives and do the best we can. It’ll probably take some time to make the right laws and procedures and because of the importance of it all the DNR biologists took the first steps. Id rather see it contained but how is that possible with all the ducks and geese flying from pond to pond. Slowing it down is a good first step but I think not transfering it is impossible, I guess we’ll see what happens.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.