Kayak fishing – thinking

• Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Might have to buy a kayak that would allow me to fish, at lunch, for a couple of hours, every day.

Put it in the truck, roll it into my favorite metro lake and fish… Rod holders, depth finder and a little room for tackle

Anyone use one?

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

my parents just bought 2 kayaks for the cabin and i will try that too. should be fun!

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I read somewhere about someone jigging with the an ice fishing pole and a vexilar thrown over the side. Haven’t tried it yet, but plan to soon.

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

I have a Wilderness Kayak. It is a sit on top that is rigged for fishing. I have two rod holders, an anchor, and a cheap locator for finding the weed edge.

I really like it for bass fishing when I want to slip into the pads and play with my frog. Mine is actually stable enough that I can stand in it.

I have been threatening myself to chase muskies with it but so far I have just fished bass and northern. The portability of the kayak can’t be beat.

WS

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I think AJ Weis fishes muskie and bass our of his…

I’ve run a grumman sport boat for fishing and it is very powerful.It really cuts down your profile.

Grouse_Dog

I was thinking a Hobie Mirage

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

I see a lot of articles in Great Lakes Angler and Salmon, Trout and Steelhead Magazine written by Hobie users. They seen to be the best from my reading. I still cant believe most will stand in them and cast???

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

My Sister-in-Law has a Hobie. Yep, they are good. She can basically troll with he dang thing. I want her to get the sail kit. I think it would fl.

WS

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I use a Pelican Getaway 100 that I purchased at Fleet Farm. I love this thing, very stable even in large waves. I have a small anchor and my old ice fishing locater that can shoot right through the plastic when placed in a small puddle. I have used it for everything from very shallow bass and dogfish, to walleyes on the river, even got a 5lb Tiger Muskie trolling on Calhoun!
    Dream’n

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Kayak fishing is a blast and quite comfortable if you spring for a larger, more stable yak.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Yup this hobbie mirage Revolution works great. You can rent them and try em out at Bay City Hardware in Bay City Wisconsin. It’s 55 bucks for the day to rent too. I have a Pair of Necky Manitou 14’s that I love that are sit in and my green one is rigged to fish. The ice fishing rod over the side works great to start especially for panfish and bass. ultra light set ups are fun also. Thats mostly what i’ve been using. Northern would be fine fishing out of a kayak, every once and awhile you’ll sneak up on one in a kayak, and there are tarpon trips you can take in Sanibel in kayaks. That would be one hell of a ride!

Grouse_Dog

Tarpon trips?

Sounds fun!!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve often thought Kayak fishing on Harriet, Calhoun and connected lakes would be fun.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Tarpon trips?

Sounds fun!!!!

I thought so too.

badgerbacker

Quote:

I have an older Mirage touring model (like the Adventure) and even though it is not “stable” in comparison to the newer, fishing specific kayaks I really enjoy it. I fish in the ocean nearshore and harbors now that I am in CA, works great.
    Once you try out the hands free fishability of the Mirage drive, you won’t want to fish in anything else. Boat control is incredible. (I use a short single blade paddle to help spin the boat and back-up if needed)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.