Let’s talk …… EXPLOSIVES!!!

• dr._flathead

I remember YEARS ago playing with M-80’s and blowing stuff up….5 gallon pales full of water, holes in the backyard, and even putting them in the fire pit after it was out…looked like Mt. St. Hellens erupted! It was rather fun!

Can you still buy M-80’s or other “fun size” stuff?

Wisconsin? Online?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Look up Tannerite and have some fun. There might be a few members of IDO familiar with it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

All the so called “M-80’s” I’ve seen are nothing more than a larger version of a Black Cat.

Very disappointing.

The ONLY explosive that IMPRESSIVE is tannerite…and it’s legal (unless your close to a nuclear power plant).

And it’s cheap!

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

I know you could get mortars and other good ones in sconnie, Missouri and Nebraska. I still have a collection it an ammo can

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Gander has tannerite in stock….

-J.

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

All the so called “M-80’s” I’ve seen are nothing more than a larger version of a Black Cat.

Very disappointing.

The ONLY explosive that IMPRESSIVE is tannerite…and it’s legal (unless your close to a nuclear power plant).

And it’s cheap!

Okay professor, answer me this- – -if you put this tannerite stuff in a sealed container with a hole big enuff for a firecracker, will it go (BIG) boom? jerr

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Very disappointing.

And it’s cheap!

Okay professor, answer me this- – -if you put this tannerite stuff in a sealed container with a hole big enuff for a firecracker, will it go (BIG) boom? jerr

Hmm, that’s a good question. Even if you are alluding to that being a great way to have you appendages blown off. Based on what I found on the internet, no. A bullet creates friction that is required to set it off.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Quote:

Very disappointing.

And it’s cheap!

No grasshopper it won’t.

There’s a video on their home page and a DVD that comes with the order…it show them shooting this with a 22 rifle, burning it with a propane torch and using electricity to make it go boom.

It needs a high velocity bullet (or something similar) to start the chemical reaction that you will feel in your chest and makes car alarms go off.

For the newbie, be careful with this stuff. You WILL under estimate it the first time.

I darn near put a hole in the Everts cement boat ramp the first time I used it! Lucky I moved it over to a 6 in cinder block…and it vanished.

jerry b
    western WI

From “THEY said it can’t be done” file. In a far away place and a time long, long ago, I wedged a stick of dynamite in a tree crotch went back maybe 25 yds with my trusty 22 rifle. Popped the end of the stick and- -KA-BOOM. FW’s cake she was baking fell, woke up both our kids and got me a severe fanny chewing. I was at least 150 yds from the house, who’da thunk?? jerr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

All I can say is Tannerite isn’t dynamite sunshine.

A friend and I shot 9mm and .45’s a some a few years back and all we ended up with was a pile of powder and cardboard in the dirt.

However, erring on the side of caution is always advisable.

I do recall throwing a pound of it to Gary Wellman and thinking as it left my fingers..”if that stuff goes off, Gary will be about my size”.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, tannerite is not one of those things that you would one day want to find yourself saying, “Huh, well what do you know…”.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Will regular handguns ignite it? .40’s a 9mm’s??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Will regular handguns ignite it? .40’s a 9mm’s??

Quote:

A friend and I shot 9mm and .45’s a some a few years back and all we ended up with was a pile of powder and cardboard in the dirt.

Nope.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have only seen it once, and it was only prefaced by someone saying “Hey guys, wanna see something cool?”

I believe Everts became a Tannerite free zone after that night..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yup, woke old Dean up at Midnight from a sound sleep…up the hill!

I believe my PM the next morning said…

BK, the resort is now tannerite free zone. No shipping to here, no using it…I don’t even want you to talk about it.

I wasn’t even there!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

.357 magnum?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Nope. .380 won’t do it either. LOL!

Mike, if I recall the round needs to be traveling at over 20, or 22,000 fps for the chemical reaction to happen.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So much for that idea. Its bad enough having 8 guys shooting pistols in camp. No way we start bringing hi-power rifles.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It only takes…one!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If you mix tannerite in the right amount backwards you can light it with a fuse.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Walking backwards?

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Walking backwards?

Ah the good things you learn on ar15.com

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Tannerite Video

Notice the concussion from the clip starting at 1:13.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A person can feel that shock wave at cabin 8 when the target is across the Trembel…or so I’ve heard.

In the words of a great walleye guide…”why do I feel like I’m going to be real disappointed”…

Bang goes the 7mm

Boom goes the tannerite…

Next words from walleye guide…”Holy Fxxx!”

Maybe you needed to be there.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Tannerite …. kind of fun, Cap it quickly after mixing and shoot it within 10 minutes….. by a high-velocity projectile…takes at least a 40gr bullet at 2200fps to detonate.” …

So no .17 cal or .22 cals… Now your .223(5.56mm) 40gr and any high powered rifle will do. Like my p-dog loads in .243, even a 110 gr zipping out of a .270….you get the idea.

I saw a 1# container take the hood(latched) off a car body at a 100 yards and I thought we were going to have to run so as not to get hit by the debris that came flying by….I only wish we had video’d it… (or not-next time 150 or 200 yards)

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Yeah, tannerite is not one of those things that you would one day want to find yourself saying, “Huh, well what do you know…”.

Are we back to the post from last year “Hold my beer and watch this” again?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I do recall throwing a pound of it to Gary Wellman and thinking as it left my fingers..”if that stuff goes off, Gary will be about my size”.

I CLEARLY remember that poor, innocent cinder block at Evert’s! Yea……….HOLY BALLS is an understatement! I don’t think there was a piece left that was bigger than a pea after you shot it.

Definitely a bucket list item if you haven’t done it!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.