pigeons

• ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Hey everyone, I’m just wandering where I could buy pigeons around the rochester area for dog training? Thanks

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

raising dogs i get this question all the time. The best alternative is to go to a hmong grocery and put up a sign. the hmong eat the birds and have their kids trap them.

failing that, the best is to trap them yourself. it’s not hard.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Also see if there’s a sporting dogs club close to you, they sometimes use them for trainning also.
    Least the Springer club we belonged to did.

Al

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Call Caribou Gun Club in LeSeuer

Mwal

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i forgot to ask: are you training RETRIEVE or POINT??

kvang
    MN

“The best alternative is to go to a hmong grocery and put up a sign. the hmong eat the birds and have their kids trap them.”

Stuwest,
    What a racist comment … I thought that people on this site would be more educated…
    Yes, hmong people do eat bird, but who doesn’t. I bet that there more white folk who eat them (as they are the one raising them). Trapping pigeons to eat… I never heard of such rumors, even rednecks don’t do this.

Away from these uneducated assumption…
    If you are looking for pigeons, try craiglist… Best and easiest way to get anything these day.

stevenoak

Build a coop,get a couple and feed them.Let them come and go,others will follow them back to the food.My neighbor did this and had all the pigeons he wanted.When he got tired of feeding them they just cleaned out the bird feeders in the neighborhood and still lived in his coop.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

$8 a bird no thanks. I did take her to Caribou last weekend to get her on pheasants and that was a blast. Thanks stu. She’s a 8 month old weimaraner. She’s a pointer. I guess I could try trapping. I’m sure if I ask a farmer he would let me. How do you trap them? With the shortage of pheasant in the game farms seems like pigeons are the way to go just for a couple of training sessons.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Quote:

Build a coop,get a couple and feed them.Let them come and go,others will follow them back to the food.My neighbor did this and had all the pigeons he wanted.When he got tired of feeding them they just cleaned out the bird feeders in the neighborhood and still lived in his coop.

No pigeons around my house and want to keep it that way lol

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Kvang-

Didn’t mean to offend. Was NOT a disparaging comment, even if you took it that way. I EMPLOY 15 hmong and have a great respect for their field abilities. I was trying to explain to the unintiated WHY the hmong keep LIVE pigeons as opposed to shooting a few at a barn and using them for retriever training. No offense meant.

FWIW i usually eat lunch with my employees and have great respect for the quality of traditional food that has been served to me. And have eaten pigeon with them also, as well as sparrow (excellent, BTW)

proffy1

Go to your local farmer and catch them. While in college my buddy was training his dog and caught a bunch of them on the farm we worked on. Go out at night have one guy climb up the outside of the silo with flashlight and hold it in the opening with a gunny sack, the other guy go in the inside and flush em out. It was the craziest thing i’ve ever seen, must caught 100’s of them.

kruger
    Metro,mn

Quote:

Ask Mike Tyson ,,

stuart
    Mn.

I used to gather hundred a night when I kept pointing dogs.If you would like to know how PM me your phone number and I will explain how to do it.Takes two guys and is easy as pie to get them.

I used to keep Dokkens in birds and have plenty for my self.

P.S.Young of the year birds kick butt on the table.I have eaten hundreds in my lifetime.Yes I am a redneck and proud of it.

jerry b
    western WI

P.S.Young of the year birds kick butt on the table.I have eaten hundreds in my lifetime.Yes I am a redneck and proud of it.

Right on! ! When I was a kid we used to catch squab pigeons just before they learned to fly. Really a treat for the table jerr

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

I’m going to try poffys way tomarrow night

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i’d suggest talking with Stuart…

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

I’m going to try poffys way tomarrow night

You might get a few that way.If you have access to a silo full of birds I can get 90% of the birds out in one try.Go inside the silo with your spot light OFF,take a wrist rocket with you and shoot a marble or two against the roof.When you hear them starting to fly turn on your spot light and slowly revolve the light around the silo working your way down to the floor.Pick up the birds and put into your gunny sack.
    It works best on moonless nights, other wise the birds will fly out the top door.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

So, how’d it go??

redneck
    Rosemount

Stuwest,
    What a racist comment … I thought that people on this site would be more educated…
    Yes, hmong people do eat bird, but who doesn’t. I bet that there more white folk who eat them (as they are the one raising them). Trapping pigeons to eat… I never heard of such rumors, even rednecks don’t do this.

Kvang,
    What a racist comment—how do you know what Rednecks do or don’t do I have ate pigeons but we always shot them when we were dove hunting. I don’t think what Stu said was in any way trying to be racist—he was just stating an idea from his personal experience. We all are in this together and as sportsmen the last thing we need is to start pointing fingers at each other and calling names. Heck, I even talk to catfish guys so I am pretty opened minded

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and I lower myself to talking with walleye fishing rednecks…but found redneck jr’s more insightful.

redneck
    Rosemount

That’s because he hasn’t outgrown that silly catfishing phase yet Just for you BK I typed really slow so you can understand this

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…in case you missed it, I was pointing a finger at you Rich.

henny
    Prescott, WI

x2 on the spot light at night. we hit up farms that had low rafters that we could reach with net.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.