Gas Gauge

• cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

My son in law has a 1994 Crestliner and his gas gauge does not work (it stays on well below the E all the time. I went over there to check it out. He has power to it now. He had a bad ground wire but still the gas gauge needle doesn’t even move. I’m thinking the gas gauge is shot does anyone have any other ideas? He bougth it used. I just don’t want to see him and his family and my grandkids out somewhere and run out of gas and possible be in a danger spot. Thanks:

heavychevy
    prole, iowa (close to martinsdale)

Not sure if boats are the same, but if it was a car I would say it might be a bad sending unit.

igotone

If he has power to it and U grounded it out and the gauge does not move – I would think its the gauge – U can also try grounding the sending unit on the tank and see if gauge works — gauge should peg to full if it works — and if it does it is the sending unit

U can buy a new gauge or sending unit

I know I had a trim gauge that I thought was bad but I tested the gauge by grounding the sending unit and the gauge worked

the sending unit was the issue for me

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Not sure if boats are the same, but if it was a car I would say it might be a bad sending unit.

X2. I had to replace the sending unit on my last boat. I put a new guage as well as a sending unit in just to be sure. It was an easy job. It all depends on where the tank is located and the access you have to it. Be careful what brand you buy. The universal sending units can be very tricky to set.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.