So as some of you know…

• clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

I recently had an issue with the way my E tec was running. Took it to Valley Sports in Eagan. Replaced an injector to the tume of $1K. Took it out and it missed like crazy. Called them up and he told me to bring it back. I have told them I can not afford to put more $ into it. He said bring it back. Called a boat dealer in Lake City that I bought the motor from to get my service records. They tell me they dont keep them for that long. Every 2 years they purge the paper and keep nothing on computer. They would check and call me back. Have not heard from them. ARE YOU FICKIN KIDDING ME!!!! Now I have no warrantee repair info and service info for my motor!!!! All I can say is DONT DEAL WITH SMITTY’S…PERIOD. Unless you dont care if you have records or not.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

I have everything on my own file, for this very reason, link rec was not much better. Hope ya get her squared away thats a reelbummer!

jerry b
    western WI

I would think that the factory would have the warranty records, especially if the dealer wanted pmt for his efforts. As for the routine repairs and maintainance, it sux that they’ve left you swinging. I’d probably write this one off as: too soon old, too late smart. If the dealer won’t work with ya, what else can ya do?- – jerr

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Call the manufacturer and nicely state your problem and situation. You would be suprised what a good conversation can get you. I had the weld brake on the spindle for my Yacht Club trailer axle several years ago. The trailer was ten years old. I explained to their customer service that something like that should never fail. They sent me a brand new galvanized axle for free.

I had a Breckinridge park model for several years, the roof would leak at the edges when the snow melted in the spring. The dealer supposedly fixed it but the problem kept occuring. Called the manufacturer and explained my problem while complementing their products. They sent me a new roof and had the dealer install, all for free.

Definetly worth a try, be very nice, explain your problem and speak highly of their product and your expectation of years of dependability.

redneck
    Rosemount

That might be worth a try Clarence. Over the last couple years you have had nothing but good things to say about your E-TEC even when others were trashing the motors. You have been a good will ambassador for their motor so it would be in their best interest to make you happy. There weren’t a lot of positive things being said about E-TECs and you always had something good to say—-UNTIL NOW. Let us know how it all comes out and good luck.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Another satisfied Smittys customer

Against my suggestions to stay away my dad bought a kicker motor from Smittys. I told him you will be very sorry if you ever want any service after the sale. Long story short, this motor is eating impellors for some reason and Smittys still has their excellant costomer service.

clarence_chapman

ya Jerry you would think…as long as they submitted them!!!!

dea
    Hixton, WI

If you had any warranty work done – Evinrude will have a record of it. Any Evinrude dealer can look up the information online using your engine Model & Serial number. Please contact Evinrude directly using their customer service phone number. Also, we used to keep all hard copies of service work orders for YEARS so we could look up the information if needed.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I may be incorrect, but didn’t Gene retire?

clarence_chapman

If you had any warranty work done – Evinrude will have a record of it.”

Called Evenrude and apparently they only recorded my complaint one time. But that was enough to get them to at least consider helping me out with the cost of the part. Fingers are crossed.

clarence_chapman

Update
    Well I got the boat back yesterday. I was told that for what ever reason the injectors were not adjusted as they should have been. They made the adjustments which is done by computer and put in new plugs. They tested it on the water this time and he says much better. Told me it is parked against the fence. Hook up and go. No charge.
    Mark (?) at Valley Marine and Sport in Eagan seems like an upfront operator. Thanks for that.
    Dont know if I will hear from Evenrude. We will see. Now just need to find some time to get it out and test it myself.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.