pink slime?

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Do they have a small unit for doing this at home? I’ve been throwing my venison bones out for the yotes and crows and here I could be getting muck more meat off them…… Anybody ever see what goes into creamed corn?? Yeah every industry has there way of dealing with issues and cost savings.

Todd_NE

Just to understand, this is a 100% beef product.

Essentially there are small bits of beef remaining in trimmings. Eldon Roth / BPI came up with a patented process to remove these bits of wonderful, tasty, beef.

Because the bits are small, there isn’t the “grain” of whole muscle beef. As an additive, it’s a wonderful addition to beef products.

BPI went to the extra step of ensuring safety of its product.

Given a choice – I’ll take lean finely textured pink goodness in my ground beef every time. It’s wholesome, nutritious, smart, and a good product.

Think about the agenda these folks had getting rid of this product.

It’s a slippery slope folks. If this campaign by wacko’s and guys trying to put Eldon out of business is successul it will be the first of many more barrages at the meat you eat.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

…that is well marinated in ammonia. You forgot to mention that part of the process.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ammonia hydroxide. People are going to have to give up some other foods once the news decides to go after other processes and products that contain ammonia hydroxide.

Here’s a list of possible products you use.
    web page

Why isn’t Ryan Ralf Wiggum in here? He knows chemicals.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

He is modeling speedos.

joshd
    Minnetonka

Quote:

Quote:

…that is well marinated in ammonia. You forgot to mention that part of the process.

Yep, check what else is using this process. Also the consumers need to understand the processes used to get 15-20 lbs more out of a whole beef. Now that lean meat will be used for dog food, etc.

Also one of the “Conglomerates” noted above uses Citric Acid and not Ammonia.

This is a smear campaign and will do nothing but force the stores to raise prices and kill even more cows than needed.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Quote:

hey dude, where did you get the idea of a marinade? Just one more who will believe what ever the media dishes out. Got a question for you MN folks, how many of you have contacted Super Valu about this? If it were me, I’d choose the lower cost lower priced option. There are articles out there talking about what is going on right now to beef futures, so don’t bury your head in the sand and say “it doesn’t affect me, my butcher grinds their own burger.”

hnd

Quote:

Quote:

i hate to sound like a jerk but seriously, educate yourself on ammonia hydroxide. its getting so annoying hearing people go “they put ammonia in it”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

i hate to sound like a jerk…

Then next time PM me and I will post it for you.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

There are articles out there talking about what is going on right now to beef futures, so don’t bury your head in the sand and say “it doesn’t affect me, my butcher grinds their own burger.”

Lets hope this scare of a commodities hike wont end up like Norway’s butter crisis where just over a pound of butter has been seen going for a $464 on-line sales in December of last year. Utter Butter smugglers are getting busted at the border.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

i hate to sound like a jerk but seriously, educate yourself on ammonia hydroxide. its getting so annoying hearing people go “they put ammonia in it”

Why not educate us on the methods of ammonia hydroxide then. I can get ammonia hydroxide out of my pee with methods so go to it. Explain how this ammonia hydroxide that is exposed to most of this cartilage and scrapings that ounce was used for dog food converted over to human product in manner that supposedly dissipates is created. This aerosol is touching primarily every point of surface area to disinfect. To compare this to the miniscule amount used to raise bread or to make cheese curdle, what the industry wants you to do, is ridiculous.

I think maybe you may need to have to do some research on chemicals and genetically altered food supply and hormones to our feed lot introduced to our food supply in how it is affecting the young is in order. Then again you can bury your head in the sand like chomps suggest.

Not educated hnd?? I beg to differ, mate! I say its perspective.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Why not educate us on the methods of ammonia hydroxide then. I can get ammonia hydroxide out of my pee with methods so go to it. Explain how this ammonia hydroxide that is exposed to most of this cartilage and scrapings that ounce was used for dog food converted over to human product in manner that supposedly dissipates is created. This aerosol is touching primarily every point of surface area to disinfect. To compare this to the miniscule amount used to raise bread or to make cheese curdle, what the industry wants you to do, is ridiculous.
    ………………….
    Not educated?? I beg to differ, mate!

That was definitely education at work.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Was not meant to be educational there Cade it was a reply with a mundane so be it editorial or was it just a opinionated blog type piece asking for a reply I don’t know. I’m just a ditch digger with a wrench in my hand that questions things that happens to come across to be arrogant .

Mate.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Here is a shot at some education….Ammonia = NH3 … .Ammonia Hydroxide = NH3 + H2O which gets you NH4+ + OH-

Just as I had suspected……

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I took a shot at educating myself this morning. First off, I’m not against Pink Slime…

However…

Quote:

Ammonia solution, also known as ammonium hydroxide, ammonia water, ammonical liquor, ammonia liquor, aqua ammonia, aqueous ammonia, or simply ammonia, is a solution of ammonia in water. It can be denoted by the symbols NH3(aq). Although the name ammonium hydroxide suggests a base with composition [NH4+][OH−], it is actually impossible to isolate samples of NH4OH, as these ions do not comprise a significant fraction of the total amount of ammonia except in extremely dilute solutions.[4]

So saying it’s beef marinated in Ammonia is not true…

It’s marinated in Ammonia and water. Correct?

Just asking, I’m not a food production worker ro chemist…and I don’t play one on the internet.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Quote:

I think maybe you may need to have to do some research on chemicals and genetically altered food supply and hormones to our feed lot introduced to our food supply in how it is affecting the young is in order.

Man I am really really trying to stay out of this one but cant help myself. I know enough to be dangerous but I wish my wife would come on here and destroy you in a debate about livestock “hormones”. She is a verternarian so she has been college educated on food animal production. All I know is that for our house we do not buy “hormone free” milk and “antibiotic free” beef/pork.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

All I know is that for our house we do not buy “hormone free” milk and “antibiotic free” beef/pork.

Come on, no teasing. Please tell me more. Just to be clear you said you buy and eat food that is NOT hormone and antibiotic free.

desperado

The lunch special at the company cafeteria yesterday was Cow Tongue Sandwich
    But I just couldn’t stomach the thought of eating something that came directly out of a Cow’s Mouth
    So I ordered Egg Salad instead

jerad

Quote:

Quote:

All I know is that for our house we do not buy “hormone free” milk and “antibiotic free” beef/pork.

Come on, no teasing. Please tell me more. Just to be clear you said you buy and eat food that is NOT hormone and antibiotic free.

Yes, that is exactly what I said.

The “Antibiotic free” beef/pork is a farce. Even if a food animal is given antibiotics for some reason, the animal will not have any in its system when it is butchered. The producer is required to wait the allotted holding time to allow its system to be clear before it goes to slaughter. In the US, our slaughter plants do random checks to ensure the producers are being honest. So therefor, ALL meat you buy in the grocery story will be “antibiotic free”.

big_g
    Isle, MN

You had me convinced until this…

In the US, our slaughter plants do random checks to ensure the producers are being honest. So therefor, ALL meat you buy in the grocery story will be “antibiotic free”.

Sounds like a wish and not a fact…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

In the US, our slaughter plants do random checks to ensure the producers are being honest. So therefor, ALL meat you buy in the grocery story will be “antibiotic free”.

A wish might be better than a hope. As in, I hope this organic, free range chicken and milk I paid 2Xs as much for is disease free.

big_g
    Isle, MN

exactly…like the old saying goes…. Wish in one hand and hope in the other and do something else in your 3rd hand and see what you get more of….??? 3 hands ? what is he eating…..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I buy a hog every now and then directly from a farmer friend. I go to the farm, walk thru the hogs that are market weight amnd craayon the one I want, then we seperate it from the others and quarantine it for 5 days where it gets minimal “clean” feed and clean water. After 5 days the hog has been purged of any antibiotics mixed in with the feed rations that go to the animals en masse.

Personally I think this crapola about antibiotics and hormone-free stuff is a farce. The way pigs are produced for market today none would be at market weight as fast as they attain it unless it got some very nutritious meals daily and with the threat of disease ever present in mass numbers of animals in extremely close proximity I can almost promise that the feed has antiboiotics added as a preventive measure. Someone else mentioned that there is a waiting period for the animals to be free of the additives in the food they get. To be completely free of all of this junk a person would have to raise an animal one at a time and keep it in absolute isolation. Wanna pay for a chop done that way?

Laws provide that these animals have to be purged of the medicines. That said, the stuff sold as “whatever-free” is as free of whatever as the stuff in a rack two shlves down that don’t say anything about being anything free. Same meat, just more expensive. Spend away.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

riverweed is ammonia hydroxide dangerous for humans to consume? Are you also aware the sensationalism created from our media of the pink stuff coming through a grinder is actually chicken. They didn’t have a graffic enough image to stir up enough emotion, so they used something else. I’m all for knowing what is is the product you choose to purchase, what I am against is that the media can misrepresent a product and get away with it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The media is an enemy of the state. They sensationalize anything they have to for ratings. They create racism, fear and any other hightened emotion that brings them attention. Their main goal is to upset people. And they do this under the guise of free speech. Something really needs to be done about it. Can you imagine how much calmer this country would be if people weren’t constantly being whipped up about little issues across the country that dont even affect them or issues made to look serious that aren’t?

desperado

Tyranny is the enemy of free citizens
    ’tis applicable whether the tyranny be imposed “by the state” OR “by the media”

jerad

Quote:

Like I said, this is a FACT, you can hope and wish in your own hands.

In January 2008, we voluntarily started an additional verification process to test for antibiotic residues at the Hormel Foods Austin, MN, Plant. Each day, random hog carcasses are tested for the presence of antibiotic residues. At the end of fiscal year 2008, more than 950 tests were completed, with 100 percent of the tests showing no volatile residues. In 2009, the company plans to implement this testing at another facility. In addition to the company-administered tests, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) inspectors also check random hog carcasses for the presence of antimicrobial residues to ensure suppliers providing hogs to Hormel Foods are using antibiotics responsibly. At the end of fiscal year 2008, 100 percent of the USDA tests also showed no volatile residues.
    Directly from Hormel

big_g
    Isle, MN

random = here and there…. there is alot of stuff “inbetween” …now if you said they 100% check to prove their being honest, then you can say “ALL”… my hands are clean By the same token, people are “randomly” checked for driving drunk some nights, so people must NEVER do it…

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Personally, I would choose NOT to buy or eat ground beef with pink slime added, and would like to have it clearly labeled so I know what I am buying and eating.

jerad

So ALL of the hogs they tested were antibiotic free. There ya happy?

Sure some may slip thru the cracks here and there, but Ill bet I educated alot of people that read this thread.

Do you eat walleyes out of the Miss?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.