Info needed on little and big bay de noc

• romigs
    Oregon

Can anyone please give me some information on how to fish these bays in mid june?
    What can i expect for the weather?
    will drift socks be necessary?
    What do the fair and foul weather boundaries mean and how rough will the water be to keep you within the foul weather mark?
    Have heard that planer boards are needed due to clear water conditions is this true?
    Are the fish still spawning at this time?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Here is the link for the little and big bay de noc forum. I will cut and paste your post onto that forum and will pm Tom Gursky letting him know you have some questions. I believe Tom is on vacation in Wisconsin fishing pool 4 of the Mississippi River right now so it will be a few days before he gets back and reply to your questions. Thanks, Bill

little and big bay de noc

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Can anyone please give me some information on how to fish these bays in mid june?

What can i expect for the weather?

will drift socks be necessary?

What do the fair and foul weather boundaries mean and how rough will the water be to keep you within the foul weather mark?

Have heard that planer boards are needed due to clear water conditions is this true?

Are the fish still spawning at this time?

Sorry about the delay in responding…I have been guiding on the Mississippi the past few days.

June can be good to excellent , depending on conditions. The spawn should be over for 3-4 weeks.

I don’t know where the” fair/foul weather” boundary info is from, sounds like shipping info, but common sense must prevail when a storm is possible or high winds. The Bay is generally shallow and can get rough. The best bite will be with a good chop and drift socks are necessary if you drift and vertical jig as most do. A Hot Spots map is imperaitive as the Bay is abot 36″ lower than normal for the past few years. The Gladstone and Escanaba Marinas are the only safe launch for boats larger than an open 14-16′ utiilty type. Planer boards are good tactcs to use(especially with a lot of fishing pressure) On weekends there will be MANY boats up near the rivermouths and on the reefs. You have to stay clear of them when pulling boards. Yes the bay has become very clear due to Zebra Mussels and they are causing changing weed conditions, which affect feeding patterns. Here is a good local info/weather website from Escanaba. Hope I have been of help, Tom

http://www.littlebaydenoc.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.