Engine help needed

• ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I have a 1990 50HP Evinrude. I have no spark. I did a simple test on the coil with an ohm meter and it checked out O.K. I checked the wires and had continuity there. I used new plugs to check for spark, so I know plugs aren’t the problem. Can anyone give me some advice on what to check for next? Thanks for any help!

Ducks

herb
    6ft under

Scott, is the clip for the safety kill switch attached? That’s the only thing I can come up with for now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Ducks… What was the test you used for the coils?

Speaking from experiance…the kill switch is a good place to start!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Is there gas in it? Some people forget that.

It could be alota things. Update the news.

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR FLY WHEEL IS ON TIGHT. IF IT MOVED OR THE SHIFTED JUST A BIT IT WON’T START

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Yes, I check the kill switch and the clip is in place. The test I used is just a simple continuity test. I use the ohm meter to test the continuity from the “hot” terminal to the spark plug wire tower. Both sides of the coil have continuity. I know this test is not 100% fail safe but it the best I can do. As far as gas goes, that is not the problem. With or without fuel I should still have spark. It is my understanding that this engine picks up the spark from the flywheel, it is delivered to the coil, then through the wires and to the plugs. I’m just not sure on the entire ignition system. I’m not sure what other channels influence the spark. Thanks for the replies guys! Anything else? I’m all ears.

Ducks

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I checked the flywheel also. It is tight.

Last fall my dad had it started but it would only run for about 3 or 4 seconds and then it would die. Same thing over and over. So this spring we tried to start it and nothing. I’m just sure it is electrical, but what?

Ducks

jwellsy

I would pick up a factory service manual on ebay.
    Not the cheap generic Clymers ones, the actual OMC Evinrude one.
    Also pick up a parts number book for it.
    You may need a new ignition module, or something like that.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if it could be the power pack. Thanks!

Ducks

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if it could be the power pack. Thanks!

Ducks

That would be my first guess.

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I agree with gator and the others. Seldom will you have two bad plug wires or two coils go out a the same time. I think you said it was a two banger.

It would have to be something that’s in common…which will bring you back to the little black box…One good thing, it’s going to be easy to replace.

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Briank, It is a two cyl. but the coil is encased in one housing. I’m quite sure the coil has two seperate sides to it as there are two wires that come from the flywheel and both plug onto the coil. Looks like I may be in the market for a new power pack.

Ducks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.