Rod selection Help Please

• jprrpj

Currently my favorite bass rod is my gloomis GLX SJR783 6’6″ med heavy with fast action. I love it for jigs and plastics. I have a St Croix Avid that I am gonna trade in and up for to get a Legend Elite or Extreme. I am not sure what would be the comparable ST Croix Rod. I am guessing the extreme XS66MHF or the Elite LES66MHF. I am just not sure if I am comparing apples to apples here. Can anyone give me some insight please?

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Vertical or pitching? MH seems a little too heavy for jigs/plastics unless you’re not talking about walleyes?

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I don’t know if you can compar StCriox to G Lomis, I really like the cumara from shimano and I have a SBR&Mossy Back from GLoomis
    Stan

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

I have a St Croix LES 6’6″ MF. Plenty stiff for jigs and plastics in current, heavy enough for 12-15lb test if you fish rocks or a lot of timber, and real nice backbone.

Haven’t tried an extreme, I could only speculate that
    it’s even a bit better.

Bassn Dan

This is probably something that can be better answered by a custom rod builder that has measured the power and action of blanks from both companies, but be sure to come back here to talk fishing!

Good luck.

Dan

P.S. PM me if you want suggestions for sites to get more info.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The GLX matches better with the Extreme for apples to apples… You will find the Extreme closer to an NRX but for a chunk less dinero$$$.
    I am guessing you are fishing bass in pretty heavy cover…you will not regret the XS66MHF but I bet the XS70MHF may make you even happier…more leverage, a tad more “give” in the tip so they “hang on” to the plastic longer, and will cast farther…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.