Any Suggestions

• TroyRozeske
    Burnsville MN

Going to be asking for a raise soon, and looking for suggestions on how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

hisser
    Chatfield, Mn

Better be able to tell your boss what more you are bringing to the table to make you worth more

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Whatever you do, don’t use the argument that so and so makes more and you are a better worker than they are. Have solid examples of things you’ve done above and beyond expectations that warrant a raise.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

You need to be confident in asking for it. If you are too the point where you feel you deserve a raise, you probably do deserve the raise. So start out by being confident in your delivery and don’t apologize to anyone for feeling that way. Also, don’t give your boss an easy out. Look him/her in the eye and state your case, ask for the raise and then shut up and wait for the answer.

Bullet point the things that make anyone, not just you, a good employee. Then the things you’ve done to meet those and/or exceed them.

If true, tell them how much you enjoy your job and if true, how much you enjoy/respect working with your boss.

Be confident, fact based, unemotional, and demonstrate the value you bring to that position and organization.

Good luck!

ET

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I usually go to a job kill it and get offered a raise. If you have to beg for it I would keep your options open. If you bust your hump to make yourself an asset to the company the money will follow. I’m just a young guy so who’s to say I know anything. It has worked for me in every job I have ever had though

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

Whatever you do, don’t use the argument that so and so makes more and you are a better worker than they are. Have solid examples of things you’ve done above and beyond expectations that warrant a raise.

Coudnt have said it better John! I would take some time to think of the things you’ve done in the past that have either benefited the company in some way or has made things more profitable. Any ideas that were implimented or procedures, products, etc that made things flow better. Sell yourself as an asset that the company cannot afford to let get away. ALSO, be prepared for the ol’ response of “There’s a lot of people looking for work” because management is well trained in this sort of thing. I wouldn’t go in with a demanding approach either, just tell them why you’re worth more. If your body of work is great enough I’m sure they will listen. Good luck!

mojogunter

I can tell you don’t bring it up in front of other employees. Set up a meeting with your boss. I had a guy tell me in front of about four other employees that he needed to make more money. This was three years ago when the economy went to crap, and at the time I kept a few employees on I really couldn’t use by my taking a large pay cut. Him pulling that crap in the open made it a little easier for me to send him down the road. Just be smart about it, and hopefully you are a good employee. That will help a bunch.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Before you ask, like people have mentioned make sure you list out numerous examples of where you went above and beyond what was expected.

I manage a team of people and I can tell you first hand….

Doing your job well is what the company expects of you, if you feel you deserve a raise you really need to show you are doing considerably more than is expected on a very regular basis.

Take your time and really think out the contributions you’ve made above and beyond the call of duty. If that list isn’t pretty extensive I would hold off asking until you can beef up your list.

The last thing you want to do is go in asking for more if you don’t truly deserve it.

I had that exact thing happen to me…one of my employees came to me looking for a promotion and raise, this person does their job well but rarely goes above and beyond. So in that respect they are really nothing more than an average performer but in their eyes they fully deserve the promo and raise….makes for a difficult conversation when there is such a disparity in standpoints.

Lastly….if you go in and your boss doesn’t give you a raise ask him/her what you need to do, improve on or whatever to warrant a raise.

Managers like when people are constantly trying to improve, it shows initiative and dedictation both key aspects if you are looking for promotions/raises.

Good luck!!

deertracker

Quote:

If you can, add a pie chart. Those always make you look better.
    DT

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Are you indespensible? Play hardball. You just have to shoulder a little bit of risk because they may call your bluff. If there are no other opportunities out there for you then above advice with confident groveling can work.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Are you indespensible?

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is indispensable. You can always be replaced. If you plan to play hardball, bring a cardboard box with you to work that day in case you need to pack your desk.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Does your company do annual performance reviews? If yes, this is the most appropriate time for the discussion. So if you do have formal annual reviews and they are due or overdue, it’s a great way to kick off the discussion.

Ask for a formal job review in writing. Review it prior to your meeting. Bring your reasons for a pay increase in writing and ask they be added in writing to your job review. If you don’t get the raise, ask for a detailed list of goals or job performance items that your boss expects you to accomplish over the next review period. Once you achieve the written goals, you are in a much better position to expect a raise. Remember to give updates (Usually on a monthly basis) in writing to your boss over the next review period. Keep the topic on the front burner over the course of the year.

I have used this approach over a 25+ year career and it has worked very well for me.

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Are you indespensible?

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is indispensable. You can always be replaced. If you plan to play hardball, bring a cardboard box with you to work that day in case you need to pack your desk.

BS. I’ve gotten many a pay increase being confident in my work and blunt with employer. I didnt say rude. Of course some mgrs (d****) will never respond to this obvious approach because it threatens them. wah. In that case a person would be better off working someplace else anyways.

lhprop1
    Eagan

First, you have to get pictures of your boss in a compromising situation. That’s the hard part.

It’s smooth sailing from there.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you indespensible?

BS. Only if the person you are dealing with is a ****

You come to me and demand a raise, I may show you the door. I’ve seen it, and I’ve provided the box. Demanding a raise is never wise unless you are planning to leave anyway and figure you might as well see if you can get more money and not have to leave.

Again, nobody is indispensable. Tough to replace? Absolutely. Impossible, never.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Again, nobody is indispensable. Tough to replace? Absolutely. Impossible, never.

I was in work situations where there were folks who were truly indispensable. I was not one of them. One of my comments at work was “I sure and glad he/she works for us and not xyz”. Those folks were also paid very, very well and deserved every last penny and then some…they were just that good at what they did.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you indespensible?

You come to me and demand a raise, I may show you the door. I’ve seen it, and I’ve provided the box. Demanding a raise is never wise unless you are planning to leave anyway and figure you might as well see if you can get more money and not have to leave.

It wouldn’t work with you. That’s for sure…

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you indespensible?

Tough to replace? Absolutely. Impossible, never. Agreed 100% Well said

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.