DNR issues citation for cougar shooting in MN

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

DNR issues citation for cougar shooting in Jackson County

Charges have been filed today by the Jackson County attorney’s office against a Jackson County man in southwestern Minnesota for allegedly shooting a cougar on Nov. 27, 2011, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Daniel Hamman, 26, was charged by citation with shooting a protected animal.

Hamman allegedly shot the cougar after being contacted by a neighbor, who saw the cat run from a rural grove of trees into a culvert. The cougar was shot as it flushed from the culvert.

Maximum penalties Hamman could face include a fine up to $1,000 and up to 90 days in jail.

The DNR has filed an affidavit of restitution requesting the court to order Hamman to pay $1,000 to the state for the cougar. Criminal charges are not evidence of guilt. A defendant/suspect is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

The cougar shot in Jackson County was a 125-pound male, estimated to be one to three years old. The DNR conducted a necropsy of the cougar to assess the condition of the animal, look for signs of captivity and collect additional samples to help determine the origin of the animal. No obvious signs of captivity were present such as being declawed, exhibiting excessive pad wear, or having tattoos or microchips. Samples have been submitted to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Wildlife Forensics Lab in Missoula, Mont., to do a DNA analysis; results are pending. The DNR plans to have the cougar mounted and used for educational purposes.

Since 2007, the DNR has confirmed 14 cougar sightings across the state. Eleven have been from trail cameras or video. One was road killed, one was found dead and one was shot. Dozens of other, unconfirmed sightings have also been reported.

Why might cougars show up in Minnesota? Cougars are solitary, roaming animals. As young males reach maturity, they begin to look for new territory and will travel considerable distances. The timing of many of Minnesota’s verified cougar sightings (mid- 2000s and forward) is not unexpected given the somewhat rapid increase in the cougar population in the western Dakotas that began in the mid-1990s. Extensive research in the Black Hills has documented the changing cougar dynamics that typically lead to increased dispersal of young males.

Although verifications have increased, evidence of cougars in Minnesota remains extremely rare.

Cougars are protected animals in Minnesota. State statute makes it illegal for a citizen to kill a cougar in most circumstances. Minnesotans can kill a cougar if a life threatening situation arises. Public safety officials are authorized to kill a cougar to protect public safety. If a cougar poses an immediate threat to public safety, a DNR conservation officer or local law enforcement person should be contacted as soon as possible.

Minnesota Statutes section 97A.301, Subdivision 1(1) states: Misdemeanor. Unless a different penalty is prescribed, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor if that person: (1) takes, buys, sells, transports or possesses a wild animal in violation of the game and fish laws.

According to Minnesota Statutes section 97B.641, there is no open season for cougars in the state of Minnesota.

bill mitchell

im glad they did..if they hadnt..i believe very tom ,dick, and harry would be shooting and claiming they felt in danger..at least people will think twice..with more and more sightings this is going to be a bigger and bigger issue..i remember just a few short years ago that the dnr said that there wasnt any cougars in this state and that all sightings were mis- identification..yeah right

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

So it’s OK for the DNR and some cops to shoot fawns in somebody’s backyard but it’s not OK for a citizen to knock off a mountain lion? I guess those are the rules.

timmy

Quote:

im glad they did..if they hadnt..i believe very tom ,dick, and harry would be shooting and claiming they felt in danger..at least people will think twice..with more and more sightings this is going to be a bigger and bigger issue..i remember just a few short years ago that the dnr said that there wasnt any cougars in this state and that all sightings were mis- identification..yeah right

I couldn’t be more of a polar opposite on this.

The DNR repeatedly tells people they did not see what they reported seeing…. and treats people like fools that call in witnessing a cougar in the state…and now they ticket somebody that actually proved what they saw? I personally know a more than a couple people that had encounters with cougars and when they called and reported what they saw, they were treated like idiots that had no clue what what they saw.

Our DNR is one inept embarrassment to our state. Only here can one get a ticket for killing an animal that doesn’t exist and also get a ticket for taking a fish that our red brother can take a few feet away without a ticket……

Useless, bumbling beaurocracy at its finest. (the people with their feet in the dirt are not the object of my rant)

What a bunch of bumbling, assinine buffoons. Wow.

Tim

big_g
    Isle, MN

Amen.. just like the sasquatch

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

The DNR repeatedly tells people they did not see what they reported seeing…. and treats people like fools that call in witnessing a cougar in the state…and now they ticket somebody that actually proved what they saw? I personally know a more than a couple people that had encounters with cougars and when they called and reported what they saw, they were treated like idiots that had no clue what what they saw.

Our DNR is one inept embarrassment to our state. Only here can one get a ticket for killing an animal that doesn’t exist and also get a ticket for taking a fish that our red brother can take a few feet away without a ticket……

Useless, bumbling beaurocracy at its finest. (the people with their feet in the dirt are not the object of my rant)

What a bunch of bumbling, assinine buffoons. Wow.

Tim

Really Tim thats pretty harsh calling out all Mn DNR personal idiots`. Dont get me wrong I,m sure not all DNR employee’s are perfect but not all are buffoons either. After all this person shot a animal that is protected. And as far as I’ve read so far he nor anyone else was in danger of this cat. So who was the real buffoon here

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

So it’s OK for the DNR and some cops to shoot fawns in somebody’s backyard but it’s not OK for a citizen to knock off a mountain lion? I guess those are the rules.

That is a bit of an over simplification.

redrnger

Might just be me but my first reaction would have been to grab a camera and get a picture if I could.Theirs not many that can say they saw a wild cougar,but to shoot it senseless.Seems like restitution should be a lot more than 1000 dollars to me.

timmy

Quote:

Really Tim thats pretty harsh calling out all Mn DNR personal idiots`.

Yes – really. Hence my remark of the “people with their feet in the dirt”………..

Our DNR is a bumbling embarassament.

Cougars spreading their range = deny they exist and protect them at all costs….

Asian carp spreading up the river = punish all boaters due to AIS laws….

Hypocrisy?

thegun
    mn

they dont belong here! I say shoot, shovel and shut-up!

Now if this was an area that had a population of them in the hills then that would be different!

Next thing you know they will be introducing them like the wolves! We all know that was a good plan!

I got to agree with Timmy!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Something doesn’t belong here, that’s for sure.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Or, for instance, shoots an alligator found swimming the river, like was down around here recently. Maybe the officers should be held accountable too.

IMO

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

Or, for instance, shoots an alligator found swimming the river, like was down around here recently. Maybe the officers should be held accountable too.

IMO

Interesting point. I guess the law is the law and citizens of the state are NOT the law. Best be careful. I too saw a Mountain Lion a few years back in Southern Minnesota visiting my parents. Called it into the local DNR officer, but didn’t receive a call back. Apparently the sightings are commonplace. The Mountain Lion is indeed spreading it’s range, and at somepoint the DNR will need to admit this to the general public. Mountain Lions frankly scare the crap out of our society, and many believe this might be the reason for the tight lips. They are a pretty cool animal no doubt. The one I saw was literally like an overgrown house cat. It was stalking something off an old field road when all at once it leaped up in the air and landed in the yellow grass. It was mind boggling how high that cat was able to jump. Might have been one dead “WABBIT”

jjpeterson
    Ellsworth WI

Quote:

Quote:

IMO

Yea Lenny we both know how the good old DNR works.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Hmmmmm…….

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

I believe both wolves and cougars are native to the area. It was human expansion that decreased the population and range. If we are true outdoorsman, wouldn’t we welcome their return and accept the positives and negatives? Or do we really only care about the animals that we hunt and fish? Seems a bit ego-centric to me.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I believe both wolves and cougars are native to the area. It was human expansion that decreased the population and range. If we are true outdoorsman, wouldn’t we welcome their return and accept the positives and negatives? Or do we really only care about the animals that we hunt and fish? Seems a bit ego-centric to me.

I think most hunters do care, or maybe I am just naive.

What we are seeing with wolves is exactly how it should happen. Maybe some are pissed because they didn’t get de-listed and put into management status fast enough for them. Some are pissed that we are shooting cute animals and are self loathing and hate the human race. But the wolves are now being managed.

As for cougars, they are here. Apparently not enough that they need to be managed yet. Cougars don’t seem to even be a nuisance.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not sure about wolves, but they sure do like bullheads!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Cougars are felines. Felines like fish. If cougars are allowed to live, we will see less catfish Brian.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Think the DNR will accept my fine in advance?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Killing the cougar might have saved someones life, maybe a kids life and no less an adults life. What it sounds like is whats it going to take, someone being mauled terribly or killed, then they will cry wolf. If I seen one I’d kill it thinking I could be saveing a kids life. Too me they don’t belong here just because they kill people and probably would givin the chance. Could I forgive myself if I had seen it, didn’t shoot, then heard about a serious mauling or killing later in the day or in the week? If I was charged Id take it to court, legal or not I might be saving someones life. Id probably shoot and let the buzzards have it, native to the state or not they kill people and probably would givin the chance and I can’t let a mauling happen to any kid.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Too me they don’t belong here just because they kill people and probably would givin the chance.

Are you F-ing kidding me? You’d better buy a bunch of ammo and then start shooting dogs, too, because there are way more dog/people maulings than cougar/people maulings.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No crap Wiggy, you have a better chance of being struck by lightening and killed or dieing of the flu than be mauled by a cougar.

I just hope mossy doesn’t start picking people off driving cars in the name of saving lives.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Killing the cougar might have saved someones life, maybe a kids life and no less an adults life. What it sounds like is whats it going to take, someone being mauled terribly or killed, then they will cry wolf. If I seen one I’d kill it thinking I could be saveing a kids life. Too me they don’t belong here just because they kill people and probably would givin the chance. Could I forgive myself if I had seen it, didn’t shoot, then heard about a serious mauling or killing later in the day or in the week? If I was charged Id take it to court, legal or not I might be saving someones life. Id probably shoot and let the buzzards have it, native to the state or not they kill people and probably would givin the chance and I can’t let a mauling happen to any kid.

From Wikipedia

Quote:

At least 20 people in North America were killed by cougars between 1890 and 2011, including six in California. More than two-thirds of the Canadian fatalities occurred on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Fatal cougar attacks are extremely rare and occur much less frequently than fatal dog attacks, fatal snake bites, fatal lightning strikes, or fatal bee stings. Children are particularly vulnerable. The majority of the child victims listed here were alone or accompanied only by other children.

Hardly significant. It sounds to me like the killed it just because they could.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Comon you guys thats completely diffrent. Tell me if you and your 6 year old daughter was out walking in the woods and seen a cougar laying on a limb, only a few yards away, and looking at you and not even growling, what would you do then, think about killing it? I know attacks are rare but have they ever happened in the past? many of them I suspect. Rapeing and pilageing has nothing to do with something that may kill my kid. Am I paranoid, no as I just see these animals as they could and do kill people, especially my kid and I’ll never change my mind because they don’t belong here. Ever hear of a cougar mauling or killing someone, I have.

I know some don’t think like me and others do and I’ll never change my mind because they can and will kill someone in a heartbeat if thier hungry, if they didn’t I wouldn’t feel this way. I side on the side of not having them here just for kids safety and I don’t really care what the attack ratios are. It will probably take several mauling or killings befor they change the laws, but my conscious will be clear. Remember not everyone who walks in the woods carries a gun. Id be glad if there never was a mauling in the future but whos going to be at fault if thier population grows and someone does get mauled or killed, not mine, and it will happen if thier left to multiply, it will only be a matter of time. Whats happened in the Dakotas and Wyoming where they come from, anyone ever get mauled or killed out there, I suspect so. I side with not giving them a chance to establish a threatening population here, which is none, as I think thats alot safer for our kids and others, to me its a no brainer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree with you farmboy and that might be the reason but they also may have saved someones life. I know the way I feel sounds like I see cougars around every corner and tree but it isn’t. I just don’t want anyone to be killed and does it really matter how many people have been killed in the past by cougars. I know they all shouldn’t be rounded up and put in zoos just for peoples safety but I just can’t see the sense if them establishing a population in the midwest and one or a few eventaully killing someone when they haven’t been here for a long time. Theres a reason why people have killed them in the midwest to a point where there weren’t any populations, its peoples safety. I think people are alot safer without them here, they weren’t here and to me theres no reason to let them come back to put people in danger, aren’t they total meat eaters unlike bears etc.

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

They have been around Minnesota in the river bottoms for much longer than most people realize. I had a friend that lived next to the LeSueur river that had muddy cougar prints on their porch back in ’95. There is a lot of habitat and food for them in the river bottoms that allow them to go mostly unnoticed. Not saying they are there in large numbers, but they are there.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Why all the cougar hate? They’re just looking for a strapping young lad to have a fling with. No harm, no foul, right?

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I have little kids, big *ss cat starts walking around my area. I’d probly shoot and scratch a check the same day and wouldn’t really care what anyone thought about me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.