Florida Keys Vacation

• john_h
    Hastings, MN

I am considering a late Feb vacation to the Florida Keys. I would be going for 1 week. I am single, 60 by then, and looking for some fun and fishing. I would probably fly in to Miami and drive down to the Keys.

I am looking for any information or advice the IDO family can give from experience on destinations, fishing, guides, etc.

Someday when I retire, I would like to spend a month each winter somewhere warm. It would seem the Keys would fit my needs. I’d like to start looking now.

Thanks in advance!

pass0047
    Pool4

I would look in the islamorada area to fish. Seems to be better fishing then towards key west. good luck. My favorite place to fish.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Islamorada does seem to be the focal point for fishing down there. I have stayed on that key twice and fished multiple times. I highly recommend back country fishing in the Everyglades park area for snook, redfish, etc. I have done that twice and would do it again long before anything deep sea. I bone fished once and that was ok.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hi John,

I’ve used this guide a couple times while down there. Fished the Key’s the first time for “the Grey ghost” on the flats which was my fav trip and the second time we fished the Everglades for snook. Both were fun trips and I would do it again and book him again.

http://www.flatstofathoms.com/index.htm

Suzuki used him as well. I’ll let him talk about his experiences.

Good luck and I’m jealous!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Rent a convertible, stop at Bud and Mary’s in Islamorada, go all the way to the Keys. Isla might be more well known fishing destination, but the entire Keys has good fishing.

Check out Tommy for fly fishing for snook, permit and other species while down there. Robinson Brothers

Mark

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In Feb, if your interested in going just north of Miami, I would go out with Hookedup Charters in Fort L.. I was out with them in July and was very pleased. In Feb, Bonitos will be abundant, sails and hammerheads will be in the area feeding! If you go that rout, I would request JJ if available for your 1st mate. Heck of a great group of guys that know their stuff.
    Hooked up Charters

johnnyb
    Davenport, Ia

John,

If you do end up going all the way down to Key West check out Dream Catchers Charters. The wife and I was in the Keys a year ago and loved Key West. We went out one day with Dream Catchers for some back country fishing and had a great time. Don’t over look the Dry Tortuga’s day trip if you are looking for a great boat ride and some awesome views.

Good luck…

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Check Sun Country for Flights, I think they offer some terrific deals and get you closer without wasting time driving.

Good Luck

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

My parents have a place on little Torch key, I will be heading down in a few weeks for some fishing myself. I would recommend getting out in a kayak and try some Gulf side fishing. In fact there was a write up in the last issue of Field and Stream.
    I do the same thing, I fly into Miami and drive down.. The drive takes forever, but if it’s during the day, it’s beautiful.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Single. 60. looking for some fun and fishing…. How about Hotel Del Rey in San Jose Costa Rica? Just sayin’…

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

I would recommend getting out in a kayak and try some Gulf side fishing. In fact there was a write up in the last issue of Field and Stream.
    I do the same thing, I fly into Miami and drive down.. The drive takes forever, but if it’s during the day, it’s beautiful.

Yep, I read the same article and that sounded outstanding. Thinking about renting a kayak on St. George Island to get to better fishing…

Mark

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

I have done the same trip twice. There is so many spots to fish, from shore, Bridges are fun , The State parks are awesome with shore, flats and pier fishing. I have stayed at Rainbow bend in Marathon with rental here you get a Bayliner sciff, with moter for a half a day each day you stay. Went out of Key Largo on a party boat and had a blast catching Snapper and Grouper. Have Fun anywhere there is water there are fish. I was supposed to be going this year but my Daughter is getting married in April Next Year

john_h
    Hastings, MN

Wow, thanks guys. What a great response! I’ll check out all of these ideas.

Steve – I hear ya!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.