Dog subject…

• roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

This probably won’t make it through but I’ll try anyways(Why the dog post was locked I don’t know…Seemed to me to be good intelligent conversation between people who just happened to have different viewpoints on the subject…)???

Since I am the one that began the talk of anti-freeze for the bad pooch I will admit I have turned a new leaf! Bad idea…I am very passionate about my hatred of that particular breed of dog and I think our communities are making mistakes by not having special laws against them but that is just my opinion…

I am an animal lover so yes…Killing any animal with anti-freeze is a bad idea. I just don’t want the 3rd strike on a bad dog to involve a bite to my kids (or labs…) face! I’d like to see other actions taken…

Just wanted to express my thoughts on my original anti-freeze comment. Thank you…RR

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

In on 1…

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds like some good came out of the thread…. I too learn from this site and a few of my views have been changed for the good

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Good post

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

Quote:

Good post

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I figured BK closed it because I was the one that started it…I’ve been known to get the cold shoulder at the Bungalow as well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nuts…you saw me.

BTW…for anyone that happens to see the last two posts….

means joking.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Good of you to post this. I wonder if some will change their mind about shooting people?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Nuts…you saw me.

BTW…for anyone that happens to see the last two posts….

means joking.

One of my sayings is, “People aren’t as smart as they think they are”.

Clever, huh?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Since I am the one that began the talk of anti-freeze for the bad pooch I will admit I have turned a new leaf! Bad idea…I am very passionate about my hatred of that particular breed of dog and I think our communities are making mistakes by not having special laws against them but that is just my opinion…

Thanks for your post, that is awesome of you too admit that was a bad idea.

I must admit that I am not a big fan of Rottweilers, with that said Jon J has a Rottweiler that is one of the nicest dogs you will ever meet, but the breed that I have a true hatred for is the pit bull, much worse breed IMHO. Yes there are bad dog owners that are at fault most of the time and should not own dogs but there are breeds that have traits that are in there blood. I had a German Short Hair Pointer, I did not have to train her how to point it was breed into her it was in her blood. Pit Bulls were bred to fight it is in there blood and I do not care what anyone says or how friendly there pit is there is no way that breed should ever be allowed to be anywhere around kids. IMHO the only thing a pit bull should be used for is a guard dog in a fenced in area where there is no way that the dog could get out or a kid could get into. As much as I hate pit bulls I would never want to see one poisoned and the only way I would ever shoot a pit bull or any dog for that matter is if it was attacking me or anyone else and I was left with no other choice.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Great post.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Have you ever worked with a pit bull? A Rot?

IMHO, if these traits were so inbred in them, they probably would not be around, because no “master” could control them. If they were that out of control and aggressive, there would probably be enough of them turning on their owners that no one would want them.

In the case of pit bulls, there are a lot of cases where they can not be trained into being aggressive and then their fate is to become a bait dog. Dog fighters use them in training because they won’t fight back and injure the dog they have trained to be aggressive.

And good post roosterrouster. Its nice to see some of the off fishing topics actually have an impact. Especially since I don’t bring much to fishing topics.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Quote:

IMHO, if these traits were so inbred in them, they probably would not be around, because no “master” could control them. If they were that out of control and aggressive, there would probably be enough of them turning on their owners that no one would want them.

In the case of pit bulls, there are a lot of cases where they can not be trained into being aggressive and then their fate is to become a bait dog. Dog fighters use them in training because they won’t fight back and injure the dog they have trained to be aggressive.

And good post roosterrouster. Its nice to see some of the off fishing topics actually have an impact. Especially since I don’t bring much to fishing topics.

Exactely Pugs, If you own a dangerous animal you better be with it 24/7. And if it does harm, you better have the cha-ching. I’ve read enough of childrens bodies being dis-membered.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I have to admit I have not worked with a pit or a rot, I know that there are good pits & rots out there, I also realize that any breed of dog could attack a person but odds are that an attack from a pit or a rot will be much more fatal and that is a gamble that I would not be willing to take around kids. I think there are pit & rot owners that would agree with me that these breeds are not for families with young kids but I also know that there are other pit & rot owners that would disagree with me.

hanson

There is a Rottweiler that lives about 8 houses or so away from me. I walk by their house twice a day with my Lab Morgan. I’ve gotten to know them on my walks and that dog is very well behaved. They sent him to a retriever trainer when he was younger and I guess he was a pretty good hunter. The Rot is older now but he’s a pretty good dog. I’ve never had any issue with my Lab saying hi to this Rot and trying to get him to play.

I have had issues with 2 other dogs in the neighborhood though. As a newer dog owner, I’m not sure whats acceptable when someone else’s dog bites mine. If this is just somewhat normal dog behavior or if I can do something about it.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I’ve always been curious why so many people support laws to ban ownership of certain breeds of dogs, but oppose laws that limit the ownership and conceal-carry of handguns? The argument a person would use to ban pitbulls/rotts/dobermans and guns is similar.

-they can be dangerous in the hands of an irresponsible owner.
    -there is little regulation when it comes to the purchase of one.
    -they were both “designed” for violent purposes (even though responsible owners have no intent of using them in any such way).
    -under certain circumstances they can be dangerous, especially to children, so we need the government to step in and protect us.
    -you can still own one, it just has to be designed for hunting purposes only.

Why would anyone who supports the philosophy of “you will pry my gun from my cold dead fingers” support the idea that the government should ban certain breeds of dogs? Why give the “ban anything dangerous” crowd an inch. I don’t see the difference-maybe someone can explain it to me.

As for the original post-glad you changed your mind, I hope you are sincere. I just saw a good friends dog die from antifreeze poisoning after he spilled some doing a car repair. It was awful, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I don’t see the difference-maybe someone can explain it to me.

Well, I’m not for banning breeds or guns, but to me a gun seldom makes up it’s mind that it doesn’t like someone and runs across a yard to nail a mail carrier.

Tongue in cheek response, but the idea is sound.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Glad the OP changed his mind. The dog’s not at fault.

FWIW- there IS a treatment with reasonable success for ethylene glycol poisoning that is reasonably successful and affordable. You essentially fool the dog’s liver with liquor and it flushes the glycol. It can be touchy and the one time i did it, i overreacted. if anyone is interested in more info, PM me and we’ll figure out a way to talk.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t see the difference-maybe someone can explain it to me.

Well, I’m not for banning breeds or guns, but to me a gun seldom makes up it’s mind that it doesn’t like someone and runs across a yard to nail a mail carrier.

Tongue in cheek response, but the idea is sound.

And pitbulls usually don’t start shooting in a mall full of people because they’re unbalanced.

A tongue in cheek retort.

It all comes down to the owner, gun or dog. A responsible owner behaves in a responsible manner-the irresponsible minority makes the responsible majority look bad. To me it seems like a very similar argument.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what do you guys tell your kids about dogs? Many kids I see have no problem running up to any dog and reaching a hand out to it. As a kid another kid in our neighborhood climbed our back yard fence to pet our German Shepard. The dog ended up getting put down for what he did to that kid. In my late twenties had a kid reach his hand into the back window of my car to pet my golden retriever while I was in the front seat. That did not go well either.

Not only train your dogs but train your children. Neither of these dogs had any history of biting but under the right conditions bad things happened. My kids have been told not to run up to dogs. Have always told them “you do not know that animal”. Does not matter how friendly they look. Always ask before petting. As parents we need to take some responsibility in this matter with your kids. All dog where built with fangs for a reason and I believe every one has the capability to bite or worse.

On the other hand show me a dog owner that says his dog will never bite someone and that is someone that should not own a dog.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I have had issues with 2 other dogs in the neighborhood though. As a newer dog owner, I’m not sure whats acceptable when someone else’s dog bites mine. If this is just somewhat normal dog behavior or if I can do something about it.

It is normal dog behavior for a dog who is dominant because the owner is most likely submissive in the dogs eyes. So the dog will defend its territory because it feels like it has to as the pack leader.

Are these dogs loose? How are they getting at your dog, since no dog should be allowed to run free in a neighborhood.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I have to admit I have not worked with a pit or a rot, I know that there are good pits & rots out there, I also realize that any breed of dog could attack a person but odds are that an attack from a pit or a rot will be much more fatal and that is a gamble that I would not be willing to take around kids. I think there are pit & rot owners that would agree with me that these breeds are not for families with young kids but I also know that there are other pit & rot owners that would disagree with me.

That makes sense. They do have physical attributes that do make them more dangerous if they are not properly trained.

Personally I probably would never own a pit bull. Even as I defend the breed, even I have an engrained fear, that although is very small, is in the back of my mind. This has come from society, not from being rational. I have been around enough pitbulls to like the dogs.

I also know that I am not the greatest master as far as providing a leadership role, I tend to baby animals. To a lot of dogs this is seen as being submissive, thus sometimes they will “feel obligated” to be the leader and protect the family and other dogs. That is not how it should be.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Not only train your dogs but train your children. Neither of these dogs had any history of biting but under the right conditions bad things happened. My kids have been told not to run up to dogs. Have always told them “you do not know that animal”. Does not matter how friendly they look. Always ask before petting. As parents we need to take some responsibility in this matter with your kids. All dog where built with fangs for a reason and I believe every one has the capability to bite or worse.

On the other hand show me a dog owner that says his dog will never bite someone and that is someone that should not own a dog.

Spot on.

People don’t know how to “talk” dog and what is dog protocol.

Running up to a dog in an excited state and reaching your hand out to pet them is a big no-no! In the dog world that is seen as aggression.

And there are a lot of owners who find this rude and might get angry. The dogs can sense that and, if they pick up on it, will react with aggression.

If you ever see dogs when they greet there is a cautious feeling out process. Dogs will be very tentative and deliberate, the opposite of running up and getting in the face of a dog and reaching to pet them.

Plus, it is just bad manners to pet a dog without asking. And addressing the master first the dog will sense acceptance from them.

Lastly, never look a dog in the eyes when greeting them.

Come on, am I the only one who watched the Dog Whisperer?

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I am now dumber for having read this thread.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I am now dumber for having read this thread.

Not possible.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Personally, I have as much disdain for mean dogs as anyone else here on IDO. I’ve owned pitbull mixs, German Shepards, Labs and currently have a Rottweiler. All great dogs. The thing with Pit bulls and Rotts is they typically scare people on sight. A good owner knows this and never allows their dog to run off unsupervised. I think as a society, most people have little patients with other people’s dogs. Myself included.

By the way. The three meanest dogs I have come across lately are all labs. All three are on my shoot first, ask questions later list. One more time any of these 3 get off their chains and bite me or my dog, its over. Cops called, owners put on notice.

-J.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Just like people, dogs are a reflection of their environment… There are bad dogs out there just like there are bad people out there and there isn’t always a simple answer like “It’s in their blood”, “They were raised poorly” however I think both their genetics and how they were raised play a huge role in their personality towards both other animials and people.

So what exactly was the point of this post in the first place???

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

In my late twenties had a kid reach his hand into the back window of my car to pet my golden retriever while I was in the front seat.

Last summer, I left Floyd (full-grown, 150 lb, male Great Dane) in the back of my SUV with the rear window rolled partway down while I ran into Taco John’s. I was astounded as a I watched an adult walk up, reach out, and pet him. Now, Floyd is a certified therapy dog and about as people-loving as they come, but seriously, the guy didn’t know that, and I can guarantee that if he wanted, Floyd could rip a guy to shreds pretty quickly. Some people are just idiots.

I hope anyone reading this takes a moment to think about how they teach their kids to behave around dogs and also thinks about their actions with their own dogs.

I don’t walk Floyd without pepper spray. It won’t harm the dog, but it might get you out of a tough situation. I have yet to use it, but I have been close several times, most recently this past Friday.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How is it that one of the biggest dog breads, the great dane can be one of the mildest tempered and some of the smallest breads the worst tempered? Guess the good lord must of been thinking on this one as if it was the other way around we might not have dogs as pets. Could you imaging a great dane with a puddle personality?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

How is it that one of the biggest dog breads, the great dane can be one of the mildest tempered and some of the smallest breads the worst tempered? Guess the good lord must of been thinking on this one as if it was the other way around we might not have dogs as pets. Could you imaging a great dane with a puddle personality?

They were actually initially quite aggressive and ill-tempered because they were developed to run down and subdue wild hogs in Germany. That has since been bred out of them leaving a loving couch potato. I always say that you are much more likely to get hurt by my brother-in-law’s 4 lb yorkie than by Floyd, unless he steps on your foot!

IMHO, a lot of breed issues come from popularity/poor breeding. A breed gets popular, so every Joe Schmoe thinks he can make a buck breeding his dog without regard to selecting good breeding stock. This leads to an influx of poor offspring. It happened to dobermans and rotts in the 80’s and 90’s. It’s now the pit bull’s turn. Same thing with labs. There’s a lot of traits that should be looked at when selecting a breeding pair–temperment should be #1.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.