Purchasing over the internet

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I am looking at buying something over the internet from a private individual, he has it set up to use paypal. My question is does paypal offer any kind of protection that I will get what I’m supposed to or if I will even get anything at all? I’ve used paypal before but always through ebay, this is not through ebay. Thanks

siclone
    W. Lakeland

How well do you know the seller? Are they on a forum and do they have a good rep or a lot of posts there? Have you spoke with the person over the phone?

I’ve purchased car parts and items, outside of ebay, from online forums, but only from people who have somewhat high post counts, been with the site for some time, maybe have established vouches from prior transactions, etc…

I also take into consideration the the amount of savings I would get versus buying new, rareness of the item, and even the possibility of getting screwed.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

If it’s off CL I would go cash only. How do you know you will even get the product granted you can print a receipt and proof of purchase. I’d make sure to read the fine print.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I am looking at buying something over the internet from a private individual, he has it set up to use paypal. My question is does paypal offer any kind of protection that I will get what I’m supposed to or if I will even get anything at all? I’ve used paypal before but always through ebay, this is not through ebay. Thanks

it’s not coming from africa is it? sorry just opened my email and got “spammed” by the over seas people last night.

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

If it sounds like it is to good of a price —- look out

stevedobie
    Central, MN

They do offer protection as a dispute claim.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

Paypal offers a little protection, but not much. Best thing is to use a credit card through paypal. Your credit card company offers a LOT more protection. If this paypal account is set up to not allow credit cards, you have to decide if it’s worth the risk.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Do what I do. Use BK’s credit card. PM me for the number.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What I have done is if I have there name and phone number do an internet search say if they are on face book or something similar. I will look at what is on there and call them over the phone and ask question address hobby`s etc, more to verifies to some extent that is who I am dealing with. Bought My Marcum 825C from a great gal in Colorado off of Cregs List.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

PayPal has two levels of transaction: One that is NON-reversible and one that is disputable. Call them and talk to them. What rights you have depend on which one you choose when you write up the transfer. CS is 888-221-1161. They’ve been very helpful to me.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the replys, I have talked to the guy and seems ok but you never know.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Get name, address, and phone numbers for his home and work. Do a look up in Yellowbook.com for his name and address and if it is a listed number it should match. Also call his job number and comfirm that you get him or his voicemail.

Paypal offers less protection if it is not an Ebay purchase since Ebay owns paypal. If it is from a website that you have a lot of positive feedback or posts and he does not, you might want to consider asking him to ship first.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.