enclosed deer stands

• superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

thinking or redoing my deer stand and even making it with windows and lil more comfy—but does anyone here have one like this and like em?? wondering if able to see and hear to make it worth while?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Depends on how you like to hunt. I spend most of my time during archery season using hang on stands because it allows me to be very mobile and adjust to different conditions and deer patterns; however during rifle season when rut is on and I plan on sitting all day I’ve got a couple of enclosed stands placed near deer travel areas. The main advantages of an enclosed stand are protection from weather which during rain/snow or high winds will help allow you to stay on stand all day and most importantly an enclosed stand gives you more freedom to move/stretch without being visible to deer. Even if you choose not to go fully enclosed I highly reccomend adding a bit of carpet or cloth around any stand that you plan on sitting in regularly or for more then an 1-2 hours at a time

buck-slayer

I built a 6×6 this spring. never bow hunted out of it but it is big enough. Opening day the first 45 min I kept saying that I hated it because it was hard to hear things even with the windows open. Then I got cold and it started to snow and realized that it was the greatest. Even hooked up a fan to circulate the hot air. The deer can’t hear it. Nice to be able to stand and move around and even get a quick nap in.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I have 2 enclosed stands and love them for rifle hunting. No I cannot hear the deer coming but on windy days one cannot anyways. Nice to have a cup of hot coffe and maybe a lunch in comfort. Nice to have heat also on those colder days.

I would never go back to sitting in the tree for rifle hunting.

If archery hunting, then I am in my climber

graybeard
    Iowa

I built a 5 x 5 shack about 4 years ago, and love it. It sits on poles about 10′ off the ground, both for visibility and due to the fact it sits on the crick bottom and I don’t want it to float away in a flood. Drop down windows on all four sides, with a swivel boat seat mounted on an old stool to sit on. I carry my buddy heater and 20 lb tank down a week or so before season, so on opening morning I just have to carry in my gun, dinner pail and thermos of coffee in with me. Works great for me, but I’m at the age where I really don’t care that much how many or how big of deer I kill anymore. I like a nice fat doe for the freezer, and I’m content being out there watching everything and being comfortable.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have my farm configured with both enclosed and two -man ladder stands. I sold the one and only plastic enclosure I ever bought. Hated it with a passion. Niosy, hard to hear, and the windows were horrible. Built the “Rammada Inn” and followed up with the “Hilton”, and “Hilton Place” – Window size and most important – how the windows face the direction of sound origin will make all the difference. If only one window is open, the sound is cut down tramendously. However, when sound can pass directly through, its not an issue.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Helped my cousin build this one in 2006. Still going strong. The wood platform sits about 16ft up and has been in place for for about 15 yrs. Had a wood structure that rotted away. This is ashphalt roofing panels they sell at Menards on a 2×2 wood frame. Built it at home in panels and then hauled up there and screwed together. Tinting material on the windows keeps you hidden. All 4 windows slide up and down in a wood track.

graybeard
    Iowa

That’s definitely nicer than mine. Mine is much more, well,”rustic”, but it gets the job done. What are the dimensions?

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

now that what am talking about!! guessing when a guy does take a shot its got to be a lil loud inside there too right?? but I like try building something like that there

graybeard
    Iowa

Actually, in mine it’s not loud at all. I think as long as the muzzle is outside, the noise ain’t bad.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

The demensions are about 6×6. And yeah with the muzzle outside noise not an issue. Guess I never really hear the shot when looking at a buck anyway. A 20# LP cylinder and long hose feeds the little heater. My 69 y/o cousin from Calif sat in this one this year. I still rough it with ground blinds and portable tree stands. Just looked at the Menards web site and the panels are 48″ x 79″

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Just a note to anyone building one of these castles: Make damn sure it’s anchored or the supports are set well into the ground!

On a neighboring property to ours, they built a very nice enclosed stand. Sliding windows, metal siding, looks like it was insulated and heated too. Must have cost a few clams just for all the lumber and materials.

Sadly, they just assumed the weight of the stand would be enough to keep in in place. They either didn’t even dig posts into the ground, or if they did it wasn’t very far. The first good wind blew it right over and smashed it all to hell. It’s still laying in a heap on the edge of the field, they didn’t even use it once.

A 6 foot wall makes for a lot of sail area. With the center of gravity being so high and the base being fairly narrow, don’t underestimate how much engineering you’ll need to keep it upright! If it were me, I’d also sink anchors and have guy-wires coming out from the corners, just for added safety.

Grouse

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i’ve used 3′ ground anchors on all four corners in the past successfully, chain with quick links and cable.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

i’ve used 3′ ground anchors on all four corners in the past successfully, chain with quick links and cable.

Good call on the 3 foot anchors! Shelterlogic has a set of 4 for about $20.00. Another one that I use are the cable anchors I have from trapping. I use 1/4″ stainless aircraft cable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.