backstraps venison

• ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Cooking backstraps for the first time tonight and I’m just wandering how some people cook it. Thanks for any info!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

In a pan cubed up with
    Salt, Garlic, Buttger (or a little olive oil) and sometimes with a small splash of soy sauce. MUM, MUM Good!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I like them best when the whole strap is cut into 5-6 in chunks. I will marinate a chunk with garlic, salt, pepper and 50/50 of water and soy sauce.

I will fire up the grill and get it very hot (450F-550F). Cook the meat on one side until it has a nice sear and then flip it and cook until the second side has a nice sear. Be sure to only flip the meat one time so as not to dry out the meat by flipping it back and forth.

I like mine best med/rare. The longer it cooks the more liver tasting it will become as well as the meat becomes tougher.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Butterfly it into steaks. Throw them in a pan with some hot oil or butter. Fry about a minute and a half to 2 minutes on each side. Added a little pepper to taste. Maybe a dash of salt after frying to taste but never salt in the pan. Mix up some mushrooms and gravy on the side to top them off if you like.

Serve the steaks hot. If needed heat a plate in the oven to put them on. Its a crime to throw these on a cold plate out of the cupboard and have them cool before hitting the table. You may also want to test fry one steak 1st to get the timing down so that the time on the rest can be adjusted if needed.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Same as Mike above, other than a quick roll in some flour… then onto the buttered bread (real butter) and a HIGH LIFE to really finish it off

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just slice it like sausage thick. Coat with lightly seasoned flour (if seasoned at all) then fry in butter/oil mix. Brown on both sides and cook until blood stops oozing out. Salt and pepper to taste. Pure venison flavored heaven.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I fry mine in the electric frying pan with a little butter. I also saute some onions with them also.

Yes, serve them hot and they cook fast even on low heat. You do not want to over cook them.

I take the whole backstrap and then slice off pieces at an angle about 5/8 to 3/4 inch thick. I also remove anything else like fat or whatever on the straps.

Best cut of the deer next to the tenderlion.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

season to taste, throw on the grill and dont over cook. anything else is ruining the backstrap!!!!!!!!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I cook them like FishAnyTime, but marinate them in maple syrup with crushed walnuts for 3 hours.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Put them in water and boil the pxxx out of them…wait thats kidneys. Seriously, cut into hockey puck sized chunks marinade in any bbq sause for 2+ hrs. Wrap each piece in bacon any use tooth pick or skewer(SP) to keep bacon on. Grill. Its a little messy but worth it. Best I’ve ever had.

(I’ll be over at 6:00 )

mnwalleyeangler

I cut the strap into 2 peices. I will then make a marinade consisting of rent a chef marinade, frech minced garlic,parmesan cheese,worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, lawrys and pepper and food saver it. let marinade for 24 hrs and then throw it on the grill and enjoy!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just my opinion but, would you marinate a Ribeye ? Porterhouse ? Filet ? Nothing but salt baby !!!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Crush some saltines up fine with a rolling pin. Then dip the steaks, cut about 3/8″ thick, into an egg or milk wash then into the cracker crumbs. Fry in hot olive oil/butter until blood starts ro seep through the crackers. Flip and remove once it starts to come through again. Med rare is the way to go in my opinion. I used to dredge in flour and fry the same way, but if I give my wife the choice, she opts for the crackers every time.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Just my opinion but, would you marinate a Ribeye ? Porterhouse ? Filet ? Nothing but salt baby !!!

X2

My opinion is that if you need to marinate the loin or tenderloin, your overcooking it. But most of the deer I have harvested are heavily feeding on corn/soybeans. Might be a different storey for those northern deer or river valley/swamp deer.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I leave mine whole. Just trim out the tendon and tallow. very light rub in olive oil, rub with a good steak rub, and in the oven on a cookie sheet. 425 @ 20 minutes. Meanwhile I have my grilled fired up with smoldering black cherry wood. Out of the oven, slapped on the grill and covered for 5 minutes per side. (grill is moderate heat with a lot of smoke). Sliced thin and served with auju (sp?) for tenderlion sandwhiches.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I cut it into 3/4″ thick pieces and fry in a cast iron pan with real butter and onions, season with a little salt and pepper. Eat with fresh bread and butter with a Grain Belt or two to wash it down!!!!

mnwalleyeangler

Quote:

No i wouldnt.I tried it 1 time and my whole family loved it so i have been doing it recently! Im cooking 1 right now thats just seasoned up with lawrys and garlic salt!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I agree but to each their own. Do you want to taste venison or seasonings and marinades? For us its Venison.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am gonna have to try the crushed crackers I have done fish filets with crackers and love em, have to try it on Loins… now I just need a deer

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I just got a deer this weekend and was wondering the same question. I was gonna slap them on the grill, but I was thinking about dicing it up for kabobs with some peppers, oninons, and mushrooms. perhaps some shrimp on the skewer, too? I do love me some deer!

mnwalleyeangler

Up where we hunt the deer feed on sugar beets,corn,soy beans,wheat,alfalfa and rape seed. Our deer dont really have a venison taste to it. The only reason i tried it was because my dad runs the meat dept for the corperate cub foods around the cities, he got the marinade as a sample to try up north while we were hunting. When we got home we tried it on the back strap and it was very good. Up until now ive just season salted and peppered it and thrown it on the grill. I will continue to do both!!

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Thanks everyone! I ended up putting some butter in the pan and slappng some steak seasoning on the straps and cooking it on each side for about a min and a half. Mouth watering

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I usually just thin slice or butterfly them and grill only adding coarse ground salt and pepper with fresh rosemary but if you’re looking for something a little different and cool I’ve got a couple fun recipes that are especially good if you’re looking to impress non-hunters with how good wild game can taste.

Sweet bacon wrapped venison tenderloin/backstrap:

– Mix 3 cups of brown sugar with 2 cups of soy sauce and marinade tenderloins/backstraps overnight.
    – Wrap entire tenderloin in bacon using toothpicks to hold in place
    – Drizzle remaining marinade over deer loin (leaving some to continue to baste during cooking if you’d like)
    – Place on tinfoil in center rack in oven or upper rack of a grill and bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes (use a drip tray in oven)
    – Finish bacon to desired crispness using oven broiler

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Here’s one I stole from Brad Juaire that is the perfect appetizer to break out over the holidays

Venison Baguettes

Here’s what you need:
    French bread baguette
    Thinly sliced green onions
    Olive oil
    Cream cheese with chives & onion
    Chipotle smoked tabasco sauce
    Steak seasoning (I like to use McCormick’s Grill Mates Montreal Steak)
    Bacon
    Prime cut of venison – backstrap or from the hind quarter
    Marinate your venison (however you like) and soak it for a few hours. You can either grill or broil the venison so you want to use bigger chunks of meat. Make sure when you butcher your deer that you cut it into larger pieces.
    Wrap the marinated venison in bacon with toothpicks and grill/broil it
    Slice the french bread baguette into ½ inch thick pieces and brush with olive oil (the olive oil will help prevent the baguette from falling into pieces after you broil the baguettes).
    Spread the chives and onion cream cheese onto the non-olive oil side of the baguettes and place the baguettes onto the a cooking sheet with the olive oil side down
    Sprinkle green onions on top of the cream cheese
    When the venison is done, (slightly pink on the inside) remove it from grill/oven
    Place the baguettes into the oven and broil them (facing the cheese side up) until slightly toasted
    Remove the bacon from the venison and slice the meat against the grain into ¼ inch thick pieces and about the same size of your baguettes
    Place the sliced venison pieces onto cream cheese side of the toasted baguettes. (You may want to blot the venison first with a paper towel to soak up any excess juices. This will help prevent your baguettes from getting soggy. )
    Sprinkle a few drops of chipotle smoked tabasco sauce onto the venison pieces
    Sprinkle on steak seasoning and serve hot!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That there sounds like some tasty snacks. We will be giving that a try.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I stole that one of Brads also and made them for a party last year (at his house )… they disappeared quickly

slipbobber84
    ND

Melt some sweet cream butter. Roll the ‘strap in the butter to cover it. Let the butter “set up.” Salt/Pepper or Montreal steak seasoning onto the ‘strap Get grill to 500+. Throw it on the grill for 5 or so mins per side to get that baby Med. rare and thats about as good as it gets!

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

Quote:

Quote:

X3 On the grill & alittle bloody!!

My opinion is that if you need to marinate the loin or tenderloin, your overcooking it. But most of the deer I have harvested are heavily feeding on corn/soybeans. Might be a different storey for those northern deer or river valley/swamp deer.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.