isnt it illegal to shoot wolves?

• arklite881south

Just thought anyone truly interested in some facts on the matter might find this article from a Montana Senior Senator a bit interesting. It appears from this piece Wolves ARE under state management in Montana/Idaho least. Lord knows Montana is ran by rebels though; Heck I’ve got a good crew of Montana boys as customers, and I assure you there feelings on this matter might not be expressed in any politically correct manner.

http://helenair.com/news/opinion/article_81114190-696e-11e0-a027-001cc4c03286.html

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

No wolves cannot be legally shot in Minnesota.

thats exactly what I thought.

No doubt. And they are managed by feds, not state. Bragging about commiting a crime(especially federal) is not a wise thing to do.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Turn him in! Yes, it’s illegal.

I would offer to buy him a beer and see if he is interested in hunting up by Hayward, WI. Maybe even set him up with a place to stay.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

The guy who brags about shooting wolves is just dumb enough to do it. 6 months in prison and $25,000 is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow. This article is from the Star Trib from 2008.

Quote:

A Minnesota hunter faces imprisonment for illegally shooting and killing a gray wolf in Lake County in 2002.

Steven A. Taylor, 46, of Zimmerman, was found guilty last week in a bench trial before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in Duluth.

Taylor killed the wolf, a federally protected species at the time, near Isabella Township in northern Minnesota during a hunting trip in November 2002.

“People tend to think that they can get away with killing endangered or threatened wildlife, particularly in remote areas where there are few witnesses,” said Patrick Lund, resident agent in charge of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s St. Paul office.

Court testimony indicated that Taylor and his group hunted in that area near Shamrock Lake on Nov. 20-23, 2002. Witnesses testified that they heard two shots and asked Taylor whether he got any deer. Taylor replied that he shot two wolves.

When the species was first listed as endangered in the 1970s, only a few hundred wolves remained in Minnesota. Recovery efforts have increased its population and helped assure its survival.

Last year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced that the gray wolf in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, commonly known as the timber wolf, had been removed from America’s list of wildlife species threatened or endangered with extinction.

Taylor faces a potential maximum penalty of six months imprisonment and a $25,000 fine. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 3.

I would guess the guy is compensating for something

I also firmly believe MN should be harvesting these animals and creating a monetary gain. $200 per tag and the season closes when a certain number is killed similar to SD cougar hunts would seem reasonable to me. The MN DNR has their hands tied until the are no longer federally protected.

If you feel this is incorrect, get some money and start to fight the tree huggers who have kept wolves from being delisted. To advocate breaking the law and bragging about it is plain stupid. Do something other then peeing and moaning.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wouldn’t have a problem with a season on them if their numbers deemed it necessary. You guys need to fight it through actions and by actions I don’t mean illegally shooting wolves.

Write your senators. I am sure Klobuchar, Ellis and Franken would be happy to advance your causes.

I bet more dogs are hit by cars than snatched off porches. I am just saying. Just remember, without wolves, we wouldn’t have dogs.

Lastly, wolf packs defend territories of 50 to 120 square miles. That’s 7 miles by 7 miles to 11 miles X 11 miles. Those who see wolves frequently probably are only seeing 1 to 2 packs and seeing the same wolves over and over.

Just throwing some counter points out there. Like I said, I would not have a problem with an open season.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

“He’s comin right for us”

arklite881south

HELLO!!

Idaho Game and Fish commissioner Randy Budge;

“Idaho Game and Fish Commissioner Randy Budge told what wolves have done to Idaho elk herds, livestock and pets and hunters.

■The Yellowstone Elk Herd has gone from 20,000 to 6,500.

■The Gallatin Valley herd in Montana has gone from 1,500 to 200 in just 3 years.

■The Lolo Idaho elk herd has gone from 12,000 to 2,000.I still get some comments from Game and Fish folks who tell me, well, those are just isolated examples.

The scientists are now stating what hunters have told them would happen. It is unfortunate that far too many Idaho Game and Fish employees bought into the “they only eat the sic and the weak, and they will help the herds” I was told that to my face by several 5 to 7 years ago.”

Here is a link to the full article if you really care.

http://wolfclash.com/2010/02/05/randy-budge-wolves-have-decimated-idaho-elk-herds-livestock-pets-and-hunters/

In Minnesota fashion…….Maybe we should bring the deer populations to ZERO, then we can all pay to have them re-introduced in true reactive style management we embrace here in Minnesota. We can do that with no deer hunting or just further restricted harvests in the wolf range. I promise if hunters continue to see ZERO deer……….The sport will die faster than a winter slowed deer. Some tracts of land I assure you are dangerously close to these numbers RIGHT NOW. Nope it is crazy thinking we’d close the season from a state mandate as they depend on that revenue. PLUS this might validate what most Northern Minnesota guys are screaming. For those hunting Management zones and harvesting multiple deer while bickering over antler restrictions; Doe tags in many areas up here are non-existent many years. Management tags……Aaaah those are now handed to our wolf population. Not sure if they have paid up yet or not? I LOVE the solitude of hunting within the forest of Minnesota, but am deeply saddened at the blind eye being placed upon management. I will say it again; If you can only take a second to ponder; IF you believe we can/should/are effectively managing big game within our state it is beyond me how at the same time you must also believe we should not manage the #1 natural predator. THIS WILL BITE YOU. In fact has bitten us hard for several years, and guys are finally saying ENOUGH ALREADY. Still we are programmed to simply accept what is. SAD.

Here is something else to consider; It is quite evident other states wildlife management leaders have taken a slightly different approach than sitting on their hands on this one. “OUT OF OUR CONTROL” NICE!! HEY…….FIGHT FOR US, Fight for those deer that will again be DECIMATED this winter. YOUR PAID TO MANAGE OUR DEER/MOOSE herd,AND WE FUND YOU TOO. If you want to fund me to do it……….I’ll start today…………..I will spend the winter like a mad man in the woods of Northern Minnesota collecting data and filming REALITY. I won’t manage from my comfy home or Washington Office space. I apparently have a bit more passion for what is right and am willing to fight for it. afterall I’m doing it right now for ZERO monetary gain right?? Still this winter when I snowmobile past another deer kill or see the whole VNP deer population gathered on the ice as they realize the wolves will run them down in the deep snow in woods I KNOW REALITY. Seems other states appointed/elected officials have openly fought for what is right for the big game in their state and flat out WON!! Strange to anyone that we don’t have control?? Must just be a bad shake of the dice huh?? I vaguely remember our own state leaders threatening tickets for fisherman without fishing licenses when we couldn’t even put a budget in place? This cost thousands of tourist driven areas BIG MONEY. Who cares right?? Hey they have our back, and have proven to be effective in managing the state on many levels right?? Bless those willing to stick their neck out for the good of the state, and attempt to make a difference in the world. I believe the true spirit and vigor of America isn’t represented well with a flag flown of sheep. BAAAAAH!!

desperado

Yup you can usually tell a Montana native … but ya can’t tell us much

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I think Chris and I are saying the same thing, just in different ways, so I will reiterate what I am saying.

Wolves are having an effect on our deer, moose, and all other game animals in their range. We cannot legally harvest any wolves at this time.

If you feel this is wrong, put your money where your mouth is and write letters to senators (it is federal law at this point), donate money to fight the cause, but don’t sit on your tail and complain.

I just recently hunted Moose in Northern MN and while calling moose, i did call in 4 wolves that showed absolutely no fear of me and sat 50 yds away and looked at me for about 10 minutes. Cool experience, but also shows that these animals are no longer afraid of humans.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Revenues and government issues aside…if the deer/moose/wolf saga were allowed to play out….no species would likely be decimated (go extinct). If that were likely to happen it would have happened a million years ago. If your dealing with an apex predator there are few natural controls: seasonal variation in climate, disease, and food supply mainly. But if a wolf decimates its food supply guess what…the wolf goes extinct too.

I can understand why hunters up north are bummed about wolves…an analogy might be if I lived on a great walleye lake and somebody introduced a walleye predator and then ten years later the walleye fishing sucked…I’d be bummed too…I get it.

arklite881south

CAN I GET AN AMEN!! Those who have spent some time NORTH OF say White Bear Lake YOU KNOW………WAY NORTH and not just a drive through the “Wolf Range” to photography a leaf change in Autumn; It is these guys that often harbor a different opinion when it pertains to our backyard. SURELY those that live elsewhere will try tell you they know more about your backyard than you do, but I’m here to say that is frankly BS. Further removed from reality unfortunately is Washingtog control.

BTW I hold a TWIC card per Federal requirement as a FISHING GUIDE on Rainy lake. In case you don’t know, a TWIC card is required to enter unsecured PORTS. I’m still looking for ours here on RAINY LAKE, but when I find one……….I HAVE ACCESS!! It is POSSIBLE there is some disconnect with Washington Politicians and Minnesota Woods and Water Reality AKA GREY WOLF. Just throwing this out as a possiblity so I don’t ruffle too darn many feathers here.

My slight disagreement with Farmboy is I believe the state elected/appointed/PAID leaders of our big game should also feel like they have some skin in the game. Why should I care more than they do?? AT the VERY LEAST………..OPENLY care as much as the UNPAID Minnesota deer hunter that write your paycheck. IF NOT……….I believe there will be a strong effort to change this sitting on your hands style of management. The safe behind the scenes game of pretend may in the end cost the jobs they silently look to protect without stirring up controvesy with tree huggers.

AGAIN it is evident other states leaders have fought for the wants and needs of both wildlife, ranchers and hunters.

Beyond that YES Grass root efforts sometimes can EVENTUALLY make a difference. Get on the horn today and write the boys in charge. Still I personally would like to have state paid big game managers backing my words to hold in reality a bit more water if the glass ever gets to Washington. BTW so far………Grass roots efforts……….Not so good on this one

arklite881south

Alright Boys……Tree Huggers beware; I have to fill the outside wood boiler with WOOOD. I know I know…….Very irresponsible of me, but it’s cold up north today boys!! We’ve received a couple inches of snow and the bays are looking to lock up today with temps not reaching 30 degrees for today’s high!!

I do happen to believe Deer and Moose will not truly become extinct. Still I do believe history shows in both the past and present that populations can and will dip to levels greatly reducing hunter harvest. Severe damage to a deer/moose populations will directly transfer to a Deer hunter fallout.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hope I am not one of the referred to as tree hugger. I am a conservationist, I love nature, but I am far from a tree hugger.

OK, I did hug my Red Maple in the front yard once.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

You call that a HUG? I call it obscene!!

PS Don’t for get the over population of bears.

arklite881south

Quote:

I hope I am not one of the referred to as tree hugger. I am a conservationist, I love nature, but I am far from a tree hugger.

LOL!! NO your likely NOT a tree hugger in my book anyway. You might have a hand on a branch as it pertains to the Grey Wolf, or possibly simply like to argue the other side. The “Otherside” currently holds the cards in Washington. Big $$ is thrown to protect animals even blindly from many of our wealthy. Less everyday men send millions to Washington to try establish and validate the truth. Reality. This certainly isn’t for me to speculate, and I believe self reflection is how we all answer this question. I will say the true “Tree Huggers” are very quick to attach themselves to those who don’t take a hardline between right and wrong. I wish it didn’t need to be that way, but it is what it is. HUGGERS love to point to “THOSE HUNTERS AGREE WIH US!!” Sad……..True……and seemingly quite effective for many years. Let’s give massive media attention to guys that likely misidentified 2 BLACK German Shepards likely running deer on his private property during the deer hunting season. I DO NOT promote the shooting, yet realize some guys up north are taking the law into their own hands. Personally…….I WOULD NOT let my dogs run the woods if they look like a wolf during the deer hunting season. Just me….CALL ME CRAZY. I also don’t have my wife ride her “Buckskin” horse on state trails up north here during the rifle season. Hunters have proven year after year to shoot other odd things. With that being said I happen to remember our own coveted state SHARP SHOOTERS shooting some odd things while decimating a deer population thought to be infected with CWD. WOW……..Dodged a bullet there huh?? How quickly we forget. How many did they find that had CWD? Furthermore did our wonderful state big game management laws allow the fencing, and likely THE known cause for even spreading the CWD?? Lord nobody likes the uncovering of the truth huh.

I’ll try stay on task. I believe we simply need to be further educated apparently to avoid our continued “Learning the hard way” roadmap we are force fed to eat. Like many others I happen to feel we need a balance between predators and prey. I’m not sure this is a new theory. I happen to believe we are grossly out of balance currently in Northern Minnesota. Montana and Idaho had big game DECIMATED. 75-80% in studies. YES your right they didn’t get a chance to eat EVERY SINGLE elk in 3 years, but did a pretty good job. Here in Minnesota this not only has effected out deer/moose herd, but also the common hunter that helps fund the overall management. Call be biased, but as a deer hunter I frankly think it is neat to SEE DEER. Here is reality again; $$ tends to be the only way people listen these days. Certainly not by merely right or wrong. Those were the good ole days I’m afraid. I believe it is poor state policy to ignore the cry of man, yet place the cry of a wolf on a pedestal (BEHIND GLASS) by simply stating it is out of our control guys. Hey here is an idea………FIGHT for what is right or state to Minnesota deer hunters that you believe as a funded state big game manager that you WOLFS ARE NOT a problem. I cannot wait to review this factual information. If this is what our big game leadership states we as Minnesotan’s can truly take action we deem appropriate as far as elections and appointments. Just my opinion and yes we are all entitled to one…….Unless government says it is against the law to have an opinion as well.

I think the analogy of allowing a major predator fish to thrive with massive federal protections is a nice analogy here. Anyone here care to remember Leech Lake prior to decimation?? AFTER DECIMATION. Why would we swat those lovely Cormorants?? Aren’t they protected?? Hmnnnnnnnn…. Anyone like to explain to those resort owners how nature will be able to manage the resource on it’s own?? Case in point; If we were to stop completely harvesting ANY pike here on Rainy lake it is just simply FACT whether you like it or not that most will agree with that other coveted fish sharing the same water will in turn suffer in many ways. This SEEMS as though it would be a simple concept to follow and easily understood. Unfortunately this couldn’t be farther from reality. Instead in most are in the dark. “I haven’t seen one?”. NICE!! When is the last time YOU have seen a moose?? BEAR?? FISHER?? Pine Marten?? Must not be any huh?? There you go then………Hang your hat on the fact that the guy in Washington hasn’t seen one. Hang your cleats up since the boys in Minneapolis don’t see them running across parking lots at the Mall of America. Side with the boys that think of Hockey when they here WILD. In the case of ZERO tolerance for any state controlled wolf management; Deer are clearly the main big game species sharing the same home. Deer continue to suffer terribly here, and seemingly few care or invest the time to educate themselves so they may someday understand. Rather we like to debate whether it is even happening. Now put this back into perspective; Good ole boys living in Northern Minnesota probably aren’t going to debate this on a Medium such as here on IDO. Heck I’m not sure how many boys have internet yet. Yes they might send a letter to a Senator who in turn will mutter disgruntled Northern Minnesotan guys again. THEN others may choose to shortern the process, and take the law into their own hands knowing they are right, but will never be able to invest enough time to change it. We continue to spin our wheels as the Minnesota Whitetail is again “WHATS FOR DINNER” here in Wolf country.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Quote:

…..ANYONE that disagrees is invited to a March Snowshoe expedition in which we’ll showcase the carnage…

Chris-any chances that snowshoe expedition could be dovetailed with a sweet deal on some late ice slabs???

On the fence on this one-I love that I live in an area that has enough wild space left to support them, and I enjoy that I can hear them from my porch, so I don’t want them to go away. I’ve never actually seen any, only tracks. I also cant’ say that my lack of success bowhunting this fall has had anything to do with wolves-I’m seeing lots of deer, any lack of success has everything to do with operator error on my part. That being said, I have noticed that if I hear wolves near the area I hunt I usually spend some time seeing less deer at least for awhile. It’s a tough subject with lots of opinions either way. If they’re populations are up and stable, then they should be de-listed, but I also worry that with delisting we’ll run into the “kill ’em all” management practices of yesteryear-I believe there has to be a middle ground somewhere. Idaho’s version of management during the last attempt at delisting was essentially “we’re not going to look into ANY reports of wolf killings, and remove oversight from the DNR’s hands to law enforcements” and that attitude probably actually helped get them jumped back onto protected status.
    It’s tough-I don’t want ANY game overpopulating and adversely affecting other wildlife; but I also never want to come to a point where I know the only wolves I may ever see would be in the local zoo.
    And(sorry, this’ll anger some of you) if we are going to call ourselves “sportsman”, then poaching of any kind is a huge no-no. The laws are there for a reason; not that many moons ago we had to create them to ensure that we would still HAVE game and fish to chase. I agree they’re not all good, or wise, but the place to change that is at the polls.
    If I’m shooting lead at geese, or two ducks over my limit or keeping too many fish it’s all the same-I’m poaching and can no longer call myself a sportsman, only another guy taking away a good name from most of us. In the name of the sport, we should all be trying to do the right thing everyday. Today, the right thing is to NOT shoot wolves…and today the right thing might also be to try and get that changed, in some form that makes sense.
    I’ll shut up now, my $.02 is spent…

Still curious about that late ice thing tho…
    -Rev

arklite881south

Yes tough subject indeed. Too often UP NORTH is a bit over used. Where’s up north for you?? The Canadian border remember is 3 1/2 hours from what many people consider WAY up north in Duluth. It is irresponsible to manage a deer herd with one broad stroke statewide, thus we break it into zones correct? It is also likey not going to be smart to try manage wolves on a state wide universal policy. WON’T be effective in nature. Again the zones I hunt are currently governed by wolves (52 weeks) as the Major and Men for (2 weeks) as the Minor. Yes as far as the SnowShoe expedition; It is kind of a shed hunt/Deer carnage witnessing expedition. Fun and also sad at times.

I realize I may alienate myself with strong viewpoints for what I feel is in the best interest conerning wildlife in my backyard. Still my beliefs are based on more time in the field or on the water by far than anyone currently managing the resource. I happen to believe my own eyes.

As far as March slabs go……YES we still have a select few days. I have March 7th and 8th available as well as March 27-29. The rest of March is Locked by our returning “Donk Hunters”. We do have some late February dates still available I would also recommend. Heck you might even see your first wolf!! Last March we saw our share, and make no mistake; I enjoy seeing wolves, and even more so when they aren’t howling over top a carcass pile of freshly slain venison.

Lastly, I’m also with you that taking the law into our own hands is clearly not the answer. NO ANSWER on the otherhand is NOT a solution. Leaders need to LEAD for Followers to FOLLOW. Which do you suppose needs to come first?? I say shame on leaders not effectively providing a clear and concise pass for followers (GENERAL POPULATION) to follow. There is evidently some disconnect here, and MORE than this one seemingly isolated case I’m afraid.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I’m guessing a sit down with Lessard over a beer would net you some valuable contact information. Over the years I’m sure he has found who really is the shakers & movers on the Wolf issue.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Beyond that YES Grass root efforts sometimes can EVENTUALLY make a difference. Get on the horn today and write the boys in charge. Still I personally would like to have state paid big game managers backing my words to hold in reality a bit more water if the glass ever gets to Washington. BTW so far………Grass roots efforts……….Not so good on this one

Is this the beginning of Occupy International Falls? Are we going to have to camp out in the city square this winter?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I think there is a problem with the population wolves in Minnesota and some sort of control should be initiated. Though, some of these studies coming out of the western states just don’t add up in my eyes.

Take the decimation of the elk heard from 20,000 down to 6500 in Yellowstone where most of the wolves tallied there are in Wyoming and Wyoming having an estimated state wide population of wolves at the end of 2010 of the total sum of 343 wolves that includes 27 breading pair. Yellowstone had, I believed, reintroduced wolves in 1996. Even if the constant wolf population started at 343 in 1996 it is hard to come to the conclusion that those 343 wolves decimated the population by 13,500 in 15 years. Actually now that I think about it the total harvest of elk would be more than 13,500 to nock the population down to 6500 if you take in the account out of that 20,000 first reported there had to have been some kind of birthing going on. So how many elk come from a population of 20,000. This even makes it even more questionable 300 some odd wolves could effect those kind of numbers.

Montana’s numbers are a bit more believable we take in the account the heard was much smaller and concentrated and the wolf population is just above 500.

Idaho, wolf population at just over 700 state wide still hard to conceive.

With statistics like these the wolf population in Minnesota being over 3500 we should have no deer or moose left in the northern sector at all. After all, the northern sector in size pales in comparison when compared to the states of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana Rockies area combined.

Maybe Minnesota deer have the reproductive habits of rabbits to sustain the 3500 wolves. Must be some pretty happy deer when there alive.

arklite881south

Quote:

I’m guessing a sit down with Lessard over a beer would net you some valuable contact information. Over the years I’m sure he has found who really is the shakers & movers on the Wolf issue.

I agree. The reality of one man having the needed time to spend to effectively influence a cause is a daunting task. Again I believe I will contact some of our elected leaders while voicing my concerns as well as asking for support. We’ll see where that brings us. I hate to be pessimistic, but I think I might be able to predict the outcome.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. The reality of one man having the needed time to spend to effectively influence a cause is a daunting task. Again I believe I will contact some of our elected leaders while voicing my concerns as well as asking for support. We’ll see where that brings us. I hate to be pessimistic, but I think I might be able to predict the outcome.

If nobody contacts anybody I will GUARANTEE the outcome.

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

Is this the beginning of Occupy International Falls? Are we going to have to camp out in the city square this winter?

If you want to make a splash I’ll shoot you some coordinates to follow for the “Sit In”. Bring your Snosuit; It will likey be you and I a few scared deer and some hungry wolves.

arklite881south

Well here are some further FACTS beyond the “I haven’t seen one” armchair management.

Most of my information presented has in fact come directly from the beloved International Wolf Center for those who wish to question;

http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/faqs/faq.asp#20

Still to start in 2010 Minnesota’s Deer hunters estimated harvest was around 200,000 deer. Of the 200,000 deer an estimated 60,000 were harvested from Zone 100 mostly inclusive in the wolf range. I fear this number is going decline here in Zone 100 this season.

Here are a few generally accepted facts with the Minnesota Gray wolf; Our state estimates we currently have roughly 3400 animals. The average wolf lives 15-16 years an older. Each wolf MUST consume on average 2.5lbs of meat per day to survive. A wolf must consume on average 7lbs of meat to reproduce. A wolf is able to consume up to 22.5lbs of meat in 1 day.

A wolf litter averages 4-6 pups.

Now per this information generated directly by the coveted International Wolf Center; A wolf will consume 15-19 adult sized deer per year on AVERAGE. With an estimated 3400 wolves this translates to WOLVES killing 51,000 to 68,000 deer per year.

So again………NO PROBLEM RIGHT?? Out of sight out of mind. We harvest 5 deer a piece here in farmland right?? OK……I get it. Still hang with me.

There is some questioning when it comes to the 3400 number that our state concedes we currently harbor. Many of us believe due to sighting that there are far more. IF this number is let’s say 5000 wolves than we could be decimating (on the high end concerning the estimated 15-19 deer consumed) 95000 deer per year. Again no big deal right?? We’re all just wolf haters with no factual backing of our rants right??

OK…..Let’s work off state numbers saying we have 3400 wolves. Let’s be real in that further pinpointing of the habitat that the vast population of these wolves inhabit obviously is needed to showcase REAL RESULTS. I contest even with agreement on the 3400 wolves that number is further compressed in a much tighter zone than the vastness of Zone 100.

From here by the admissions of facts NOT opinion I ask if you believe management is allowing a predator consuming more than the deer hunters to decimate the herd and then perish due to starvation. Some of you are completely correct in that this will fix itself. If that is your theory than you also must believe we have NO BUSINESS managing other big game. WE as MANAGERS will negatively effect natural balance controlling only one portion of the equation.

Now beyond this let’s say we continue to sit on our hands. Wolf populations increase and the wolf range deer herd decreases. WHEN the deer will not sustain the wolves what happens do you suppose?? This of course does not consider Minnesota Zone 100 hunters don’t simply throw in the towel sooner. Do you believe wolves might make a magical transformation to vegetarians?? OR Will wolves looking to simply sustain themselves eat everything anything they can get chompers on. Anyone care about the Moose? Or is the animal crush simply for wolves??….Frankly Moose are seldom even talked about and officials love to hang a hat on “BRAIN WORM”. I’d love to see the results of the “BRAIN WORM” tests on moose kill sites I’ve run across. BTW these sites are NOT studied. What a joke.

Ok……Come to your own conclusion. Wolves are not smarter that dogs, but much better hunters. My dog will eat 500 treats if I keep feeding them to her. She will puke and come back for MORE TREATS!! She is programmed to eat treats. Do you suppose wolves say…….NOPE thats enough for me as I’m kind of watching my girlish figure? What world do people come from??

Again WHEN the wolves are done with the deer herd they WILL turn elsewhere. They aren’t cruel, but mismanagement will portray the wolf this way. JUST WATCH…….Heck that’s what we do best anyway.

arklite881south

Kind of humbling when even the International Wolf Center depicts the factual information that sets most of the wolf lovers back in there comfy chairs. Can’t really say your an animal lover, but yes can hold on to a WOLF lover. Will reality ever strike home? I sure hope so. Still 51,000-68,000 thousand deer will be eaten alive this year by those cuddly wolves we boldy try to keep growing in numbers. I’m willing to stick my neck out for equality of management for all big game in Minnesota. I happen to think DEER and MOOSE might need someone in there corner this winter. Gonna be another tough one. The blood WILL be on someones hands and that blood will find the guys that hide hands by sitting on them. I PROMISE and self Reflection is brutal. Anyone want to consider what happens during a severe winter like last, and the one currently being predicted?? Where deer are commonly found up to the belly in snow while the pads of wolves enable them to run across the slightest crust. You probably DON’T want to think about how that chase ends. The nice thing is it is quick. The Deer won’t bleed out through the nose from being ran too long like a normal chase. They’ll quickly be caught and ripped into bite sized pieces. I wonder if those who hope to see wolves will enjoy this natural setting.

shelly12
    michigan

in michigan they will put you in jail and big fines

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

From the Feds:
    In May of 2000 the Minnesota Legislature passed a bill that set a framework for wolf management. Using that guidance, the Minnesota DNR, in consultation with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, completed the Minnesota Wolf Management Plan in early 2001. It delineates two wolf management zones and provides different levels of protection in the two zones. The Plan also establishes a minimum state population goal of 1,600 wolves and defers any action on allowing a general public taking of wolves for five years following federal delisting.

arklite881south

Quote:

From the Feds:
    In May of 2000 the Minnesota Legislature passed a bill that set a framework for wolf management. Using that guidance, the Minnesota DNR, in consultation with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, completed the Minnesota Wolf Management Plan in early 2001. It delineates two wolf management zones and provides different levels of protection in the two zones. The Plan also establishes a minimum state population goal of 1,600 wolves and defers any action on allowing a general public taking of wolves for five years following federal delisting.

Thanks Chris. So 10 years later we are precisely where we started. Should the same 5 year hold be in place should we ever regain control of our State this seemingly doesn’t bode well for our Northern Minnesota Deer herd.

Just a thought; If we can agree that we have 3400 wolves. This number comes from the International Wolf Center who also clearly points to Northern Minnesota as the largest base of the gray wolf in the united states. It is no secret I might question the formula or surely would love to SEE the formula has been used to calculate this number; Still we’ll use this number to forecast future numbers. I assume proper management might need to project future numbers?? I mean we’re talking a pack of wolves currently known to be eating 50-70,000 deer per year, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we might need to consider this as managers. My understanding is each wolf pack normally is made up of 6-8 animals, but can grow up to 15-16. Let’s just say our packs have the higher end of “Normal numbers” at 8 animals. The alpha pair of wolves does the breeding, and even though at times other pairs within the pack will also breed; We’ll say they are not for reason of this Argument/Projection. These numbers with my simple math kick out 425 packs of wolves that harbor one breeding pair of animals in Minnesota’s wolf range. Again we will consider ZERO other wolves within the pack will breed or produce a single litter of pups. So with 425 breeding pairs of wolves with an average litter of lets say 5 pups we’ll have 2125 more wolves this spring. NO predation right?? Human or animal. Please can someone explain how our wolf population will or has somehow stayed in check. I’ll sit back and await the response. Hey let’s cut that number in half for those that love to question factual information. In fact we’ll just say we’ll have only 1000 offspring this year. BTW that 1000 wolf number will eat another 15-19000 deer. When do we decide to manage both sides of the equation. I plead for justice for BOTH sides of the Deer vs. Wolf issue. BOTH will lose in the long run.

big_g
    Isle, MN

At Camp Ripley this fall, we talked to the plumber for the Camp… he said are 2 wolf packs in Camp Ripley, one has 57 and the other 11…..kinda spooky I did see a wolf at the Camp about 10 years ago….right before 1st light as I was screwing my pegs in…. man did I move after that

arklite881south

Quote:

At Camp Ripley this fall, we talked to the plumber for the Camp… he said are 2 wolf packs in Camp Ripley, one has 57 and the other 11…..kinda spooky I did see a wolf at the Camp about 10 years ago….right before 1st light as I was screwing my pegs in…. man did I move after that

It’s a spooky feeling Big G. That is something you will not soon forget. I’ve had a few close encounters over the years while deer hunting. I’ve watched them come into my front yard here at home. I watched a pack run off a seemingly sick Gray wolf a couple years ago. I followed a pack of 9 wolves across the ice 2 years ago. Frankly the Gray wolf is truly a crazy “True North” visual experience if your fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Never once did I feel threatened even when on one occassion the wolf circled behind me to catch my scent. It seemed a bit more curious about me than to be hunting me. Still seeing a wolf in a wolves hunting arena is spooky. I can’t tell you how many hundreds of times I’ve sat in my climber listening to the serenade of a wolf howl. I envision the pack over a fresh kill, but can’t honestly say precisely the reasons for the seemingly celebrating call. Wolves are crazy cool animals, and we are doing them a great injustice along with the rest of our less fortunate animals throughout the northern regions by not managing the Gray wolf properly. One has to question re-introductions in areas further reaching that Minnesota with seemingly no plans for when they thrive? I look at that as an epic fail on the part of tax dollars, Wolves and the Big game herds decimated. Starvation or disease or further creeping into our backyards will be the next steps of our poor policy as they continue to expand their territory. Those with a head firmly buried in the sand will likely continue to feel we are wolf haters. It is an ignorant response to avoid factual backed theory. Those people rarely take the time to research the facts. Truth of the matter is those that are quick to pat themselves on the back while blindly supporting the cause are considered by some to be a critical component hindering proper management of big game and our Deer herd in Northern Minnesota.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.