Belize Fishing…Deep Sea or Flats?

• Hillbiehle

I will be going to Belize next March and we are going over the itinerary. I have my choice to fish the flats or deep sea fishing. Can I have some recommendations?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Flats for me!!! Not sure about water temps offshore down there, but I go south to get and stay warm. I am not excited about going offshore to get seasick (though I might not) or be cold because of the water temps. In shore has great species available, get on the lee side of the island, not much wind, warmer water temps making air temps milder… My .02 cents for ya…

Mark

JasonP
    Twin Cities

If it were me I’d fish flats. I have never done it…I fished reefs with the locals when I was there a couple years ago. But there were a lot of big permit, bones, and tarpon swimming around our resort. I took videos of em cruising the shallows. ..But I never got a chance to fish for em.

JP

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Send me a PM – I honeymooned there –

I have many things to share with you about Ambergris Cay

Dog

lhprop1
    Eagan

Where are you going in Belize? If you go to Caye Caulker, I can recommend a guide.

I don’t know about deep sea fishing, but I had a great time trolling the reef for barracuda. There are some big tarpon and big jacks that can be had on the reef as well.

Unfortunately, lobster season closes in February so you might not get to eat fresh lobster every day.

Hillbiehle

I’m staying at San Pedro Island and the Victoria House Resort. I’ve never been there.

lhprop1
    Eagan

You need to talk to Grouse Dog, then.

If you’re looking for a day to get away from the hustle and bustle, head over to Caye Caulker. It’s just a short boat ride and is about as laid back as you can imagine.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Check out the permit cruising the shallows at our resort…got my blood pumping when I spotted em.

permit in the shallow

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Flats for me! being a fly fisherman, I dream about seeing a big bad Permit like that cruising the shallows. Wow, that was really cool Jason!

Rootski

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I just uploaded another one that’s tailing the surface…a flyfishermans dream I’m sure. They were swimming right under my feet! those fish are like dinner plates….I can’t imagine hooking one on “light” spinning gear.

vid

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We were doing some snorkeling in Mexico on our honeymoon a few years ago and I ran into a group of good-sized permit. So cool! I would have loved to have caught one or two!

I agree with these other guys. Go for the flats. Deep-sea is awesome if you hook into good fish, but I would prefer more action than the sitting and waiting that I have experienced deep-sea fishing.

Hillbiehle

I reread the itinerary and it appears we are doing both. I thought I had to choose between the two. Thanks for the videos…110 days to go. This should be alot of fun.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.