Layering for the Cold

• skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

As deer season is coming up I always hear a lot of guys ask what kind of layers they wear to stay warm. I am one who likes to sit all day and I don’t have an enclosed stand with a heater! Being able to have full range of motion and stay warm is difficult for most, so I thought I would share how I layer to stay warm.

1st layer is Under Armour cold gear long johns and turtle neck. Then I put on a thin moisture wicking sock.

2nd layer is fleece, not the thin fleece like most on the market is now days. Mine also has silk in it so its a tighter fit then just normal fleece. Then put on my Smartwool socks.

3rd layer for the top if its going to be below freezing all day is a 1/4 zip Under Armour or similar Polyester.

My outer layer is Browning Fleece Goretex insulated bibs and jacket. Muck Arctic Sport or 1200g rubber boots. Thin silk gloves then fleece fingerless with flaps. I put hand warmers in my pockets and usually only wear my silk all day. If its windy I dont like having my hood up so I always have a fleece necky in my bag.

Pulling your boot liners and drying every night is also a common mistake guys make. Being comfortable in the stand will make for a much better hunt!

Good luck everyone this weekend

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I just picked up some Under Armour cold weather long johns and long sleeve shirt. I love them, spendy but work great. I have already used them several times fishing and running outside in the morning.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good tips! Get rid of any and all cotton!

-J.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Think WOOL , top to bottom !!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A few key things for me (Some the same as your setup) Wicking socks – Then mid weight smart wool – Do not wear to heavy of a sock to cut off you circulation

Under Armour cold gear – A must – One of the best products to come along in many years. Worth every Penny

Stocking or Gortex hat – You loose alot of heat from your head – I wear a gortex lined baseball type cap but bring a stocking cap for if it gets cold – nothing worse tha cold ears.

A hand Muff – I to usually only wear a light Glove – add a hand warmer to the Muff on real cold days – the hands will stay toasty all day long

I also like to have a face and neck guard along for if it gets really cold.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Why is Under Armour so much better than comperable Gander or Cabelas long underware?

I look at the label and its made from the same materials.

Polyester and Spandex/Lycra.

Is it really warmer?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have both, UA and the knock offs…. the biggest difference is after a couple seasons/washes and compression… the UA holds it’s shape and compresses better, which helps alot when just sitting IMHO.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

For me Under Armour is the best out there. Another good one is Nike. Dick’s has a nice selection of both.

stuart
    Mn.

Get a quality set of marrino wool and you will toss the UA away.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Stuart-
    Where did yuo pick up your marino???

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Stuart-
    Where did yuo pick up your marino???

Macys dept.store Chicago.But I am sure you could find it around here.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Get a quality set of marrino wool and you will toss the UA away.

You can have that Marrino wool – I’ll take the UA cold gear over it any day ( Yes I have used both ) the wool takes a long time to Dry and srinks like _ell. Better buy it 2 sizes larger than you need – 3 or 4 washings later and it will have srunk a size or 2 – Wool will wick away the mosture but I don’t think it does it as fast or as effective as the UA – Just my opinion and you know what they say about them

stuart
    Mn.

I’ve never had that shrinkage problem,but I don’t wash my long johns.Thats where I store my luck.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’ve never had that shrinkage problem,but I don’t wash my long johns.Thats where I store my luck.

Guess that’s what is meant by the smell of success.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.