Reduced Engine Power 2003 1500HD

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

OK, so my truck has kicked out this in the message center three times now over the last 2 weeks. The truck shuts itself down to 1000RPM idle, and I can’t go over 5MPH.

I turn it off for 10 minutes, and she lights right back up and goes like nothing happened.

I am reading all kinds of things it could be on the internet, wondering if anyone on here as had this issue?

dgoodman
    Pool 4

Yep my 2008 did it over 10 times. Two different dealers couldn’t figure it out so I sold it. Spent over $2000 trying to find the problem.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Something is kicking it into safe mode… maybe a faulty injector.

Bob Bowman
    MN

We can pull your Ranger with my Ford

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Quote:

We can pull your Ranger with my Ford

I would use Oxen if I knew it would get me up to Vermilion in a week and a half.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Have you checked for a code? I agree it’s shutting it’s self into safe mode but now the question is why. No other issue’s? Smoking, sputtering, worse gas mileage? I’m assuming your oil pressure is OK otherwise it would dump right back into the safe mode. Sounds like a faulty sensor but now you need to figure out which sensor.

Whatever you do don’t put that Ranger behind a Ford! It will never want to go back to that GM.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

My bet would be the throttle body. Put a scanner on it and see if it set tp1 2 correlation. It will either be that or idle closed performance. I believe the codes wil be p2135 or p2118.

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

My guess is it has throttle body codes….clean the throttle body around the throttle plate and try it.Also check the wires going to it, have seen them break at the connector…slight pull to each one(wire) will usually find it.

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

Great minds think alike Loomis!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I agree with Dutchboy, Mine is a 2001 HD, had either the cam or crankshaft sensor go bad and realy shut me down. Pulled to the side of the highway shut it off, then restarted and was not a problem. Headed straight to the chevy dealer and they got right to the issue and resolved it.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Mechanic says the intake on the throttle body was filthy, gummed with varnish and grit. They cleaned her up and cleared the error. Time will tell if this fix sticks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.